It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 CNC Router Build 

Post Re: CNC Router Build
Sorry for being away so long. The router is looking awesome. So epoxy concrete has no portland cement and is just epoxy and little rocks? Very cool idea. In addition to greatly reducing the amount of epoxy needed, I imagine all the rocks take up some of the excess heat generated as the epoxy hardens?

Edward, Thats a beautiful P/T head even if the pan is going the wrong way around. Is the arm attaching to the side of it a part of an X-Y-Z type motion control rig? Its different from the crane style we've all gotten used to seeing. What does the rest of it look like? I'd be interested in seeing its similarities and differences from JackRipper/Biolapse's Otto rig.

Nice wall of drawers workshop. I like that. So much storage in almost no footprint. I've used the junkyard version made from discarded dressers with the feet removed and stacked three high. Actually making a wall where all the drawers look alike is a lot more appealing. I should have done that instead.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:05 am

Hi SL,

I don't have other pics at the moment, but the whole idea was to be able to use it for both video AND stills by quickly swapping mounts, so for instance in the picture below I am using a Leaf Credo digital back mounted on a specially made camera made out of bits and pieces (bellows from Arca Swiss, adapted front and rear standard partly Cambo, partly machined by me). The lenses are Schneider with digital shutters. The focussing on the still camera is also motion controlled as well as having automatic distance image bracketing. The still camera tilts with a harmonic drive built into the fitting too, it's concealed behind the cross arm. I'll do anything to make my shooting as comfortable and effortless as possible:)

So you can simply unscrew the two M8 bolts and swap one head for another in a couple of minutes.

The rig is similar to a large studio stand, i.e. like the Foba, (it looks like a cross) but on track, so it all moves back and forth on Hiwin rails and of course it's immensely smoother than a camera stand:)

The cross arm shown in the picture retracts by approx 3ft. on an array of 50mm curved wheels fitted to a 7ft column, so it goes up and down to practically ceiling height. Basically it does everything a conventional crane does, but the arm movement is horizontal/vertical (so no yoke with pivoting arm).

This has replaced my Foba studio stand.

Edward

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 am

Thanks for the peek at the rig. Totally stunning! You MOCO'd your view camera! This is cooler than anything I even imagined could exist. Amazing job of putting it all together. The cross shaped rig is interesting. Definitely not the typical crane on a track configuration. It must make programming linear motion a lot easier since you don't need to dolly in order to compensate for a crane's natural arc shaped path. My own realtime rig has been on hold for a while now because of a new focus motor project and rebuilding a 42 year old luxury yacht so I can see the Bahamas again. Hopefully I will get back to that after the summer has ended.

I used to love my view cameras. I had a speed graphic 4x5 and a Calumet C-1 8x10 when I was in college. I even got away with using them in grad school. My lab was light-proof and no one used it but me, so I had a huge 8x10 enlarger parked in a corner. I could roll it out on weekends and make some big prints without disturbing anything I was supposed to be working on. I think digital has put an end to those things although I still keep them in a closet in my house. I suppose those leaf backs could be adapted to my Kiev88 (Hasselbladski) but most of my work these days involves making video at night, so even the Canons have taken a back seat to Sony.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:00 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5