It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 CNC Router Build 

Post Re: CNC Router Build
D1, Some sort of concrete mix may help, but also there are heavy duty extrusions available, much thicker than the normal ones. Apparently Misumi do them, they can even do precision machined flat heavy duty extrusions, but I am not sure they will supply to a mere mortal. That, coupled with thick and flat machined ecoplate should do the trick.

I am waiting to learn from your experience with the spindle motor, lubricant, air and so on, meanwhile I am also surfing the CNC forums, good source of information.

Ed

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 am

D1,
My only experience is with LinuxCNC software, but that has the option to use the same switches for limit and homing. I'd be wary of not having limit switches at all as, when first switched on, your machine doesn't know where it is. I also quite commonly reset the X and Y axes to move the cutting point around to suit the material on the machine bed. That can upset the software limits. I'm using basic microswitches which seem to work OK. You can see the Z-axis homing at the beginning of the video at the bottom of this missive.

Feeds and speeds are an ongoing topic on all the CNC forums, the limitation on my machine is the lack of rigidity in the frame. The higher the linear speed, the greater the forces on the tool and hence the frame which causes movement and inaccurate cutting. There are some awsome videos from Tormach out there which show what is possible and also show the importance of chosing the correct cutting path and why tools break due to very sudden forces during changes of direction. Obviously a plug for their own software which manages this problem.

Steve,
I have a couple of 0.5mm end mills but have never been brave enough to test them! I'm using a 2mm, single straight flute bit for cutting the clock gears which works very well and doesn't produce the tear-out on the upper edge of the plywood which the spiral flutes do.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi Kit your mill seems perfect for what you are doing . If it aint broke dont fix it :D
Home switch only really isn't a problem my laser cutter functions that way . Once you ref all on start up that sets machine coordinates and you cant operate past those in work ordinates . If you have a work piece thats is larger than the workable area Mach will let ya know and you wont be able to machine the piece .
My favorite mill bit size is 6mm for ali and 3mm for little bits . Wouldn't like to go any smaller for first cuts on ali . But as you say CNC forums are full of this and i do find they go on a bit :( .
D1

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:47 am

I've already beefed up the z-axis since that video was made and as the Y-axis rails are now 1 metre long they do flex visibly under pressure so i'm going to add some 50mm square beams (former swimming pool fence posts, paper thin walls but surprisingly rigid) alongside them. At least the current iteration of the machine is good enough (and long enough) to cut the new end braces required so "Kit's first law of CNC machines" is coming true...

"Your first (and therefore handuilt) CNC machine need only be good enough to make the parts required for it's own first upgrade".

Keep up the good work guys, and keep telling us all about it on Timescapes.

Kit

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:43 am

The plastic booth for the router is a great idea. I'll have to do something like that for mine as well.

The sailboat project is still taking most of my time. I'm planning on taking it to the Florida Keys this summer even if I can't sail it yet. (I'll probably scrap the mast raising device I made and go with a factory made one) Summer is half over, so I have to use it the way it is and finish the work over winter, or I won't get to use it this summer at all.

The keel is back on the boat after some delays. The guy who knew how to put it back on got caught, so I had to do it myself with the help of the crane operator. There is no video of that part because we were both too busy to film it. Not sure if its on there as it should be, but have to go with it or not use the boat this summer.

Its strange to be getting normal sleep during the summer. This is the first summer in seven years without a turtle expedition. "Nine Hundred Dollar Luxury Yacht" is the least popular channel on Youtube, so apparently an old guy fixing an old boat is not very entertaining. Should have gone with cats wearing hats close-up with a wide-angle lens instead.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:20 am

thanx, I never saw that before :-)
https://www.google.de/search?q=cats+wea ... s&tbm=isch

my favorite:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2195/154 ... ff4c39.jpg

good luck!!

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Believe me Kit I had a lot more when I started ! They are great for acrylic routing but slow !

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Still following the progress of the many projects contained within this long post (D1 trademark ;) ). No time-lapse or machining for a while but a few drone projects under way.
D1 I now have Litchi a software programme that allows me to create fairly smooth flight plans at home. I upload them to the drone on site, hit the go button and off it goes :D.

A couple of grazing deer either side of way point 3 of the flight plan at 00:10 from start was a bonus as they are in a slight dip from my ground location. I view on a 27" monitor 5K monitor ;)

This flight starts by rising to 98ft rising to 240ft and back to 98ft where I take back manual control. The speed varies from 2mph to 10mph depending on the curve being navigated.

Good luck with projects will keep on watching.

https://vimeo.com/227100409

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:30 am

Hi Mike keep spotting your drone stuff do you ever worry you going to loose the little fella seems to travel quite a distance . In fact a new hobby for you https://uavchallenge.org/ lots of tech stuff but me just not into flying .
Back to what brought us all together actually spotted a decent bit of timelaspe the other day .

Very old school no camera moves just the weather and clouds . Lots of this stuff about but this is class and should still be appreciated .
D1
Soz my threads do go on but least not as long as the robot one!

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi, D1 thanks for the links, saw the UAVchallange on BBC Click last year, some clever people take part.
I don't think too much about loosing the drone, I make sure the RTH (Return To Home) point is correctly updated to its current take off location, the batteries are 100% charged and it's not too windy at the location and height I want to fly (UAVweather App).
The batteries are "Intelligent" such that you can set actions to take place at certain %age discharge states to try and ensure enough charge to complete a flight or abort and RTH.
Must do a time-lapse flight soon but conditions have to be right. One thing about your threads is that the info is all in one place and comes from a wide knowledge base, keep up the good work, always following if not posting :)

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:47 am

OK, I haven't made any progress with the CNC router upgrade yet, I've been busy with other projects (the carport looks much better with a new coat of paint), but we can't have this thread out of the 'active topics' list now can we?

Kit

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi, Kit - quite right - ;) like the clock you built. Not been active lately and am sat in the dust with hole in the wall where the fire was, no radiators and walls stripped back to stone work. just preparing for the plasterer. Couple of weeks in the sun booked whist he does his thing :D

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:26 am

To keep the thread going....I have made my initial electronics tests for my new router, e-stop circuit, analogue spindle control, proximity switches, etc. Some people start with the machine building, I prefer to start with the electronics side because I find it the most challenging, as I learn as I go along, and a little mistake could result in little puffs of smoke and a putrid smell coming out of somewhere...

Luckily there are kind souls willing to help when one gets stuck:)

I am going to use servos for my router. Why? I think I have a servo fetish, as quite frankly I could use tried and tested steppers instead, knowing that they'll give me no headaches. I bought a cheap chinese servo to test and so far so good, but obviously it will behave differently under load, and tuning may prove to be impossible, as I will have to rely on pushing buttons on the drive, as there is no software with it. For the sake of an extra £200 per motor, I may as well go for the better Delta servos, but first I'll try the cheaper option as I like to gamble. 9 out of 10, these little gambles prove to be very expensive and the motto should always be, if you can afford it, go for the more expensive but proven option.
I will never learn!

Edward

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:43 am

Hello all thought the forum had come to a sticky end but seems it was just technical problems :D .
Afraid no news on my router front as works as taken over and Christmas seems to be upon me again :( .
Hi Mike you prob seen this but thought of you with your pre programmed flights . Think they must be using a similar set up to get a perfect rotation around a designated point

And Edward think ya crazy unless ya building a really large router that needs to travel fast :o .

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi D1 and welcome back.

I just like the sweet whisper of servos :)

At this rate I'll have my router finished before yours, and I have only just started! I am switching my spindle tomorrow, on the bench, just so I can test the ON/OFF relay and the analogue speed control.

Forget Christmas, that's for mugs. I hate all this present giving stuff, what a waste!

Edward

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi Edward i to hate Christmas but i seem to end up advertising it these days .
What spindle motor did you get and yes you will probably get yours finished before mine :(
D1

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:40 pm

I got the 2.2Kw. from some German ebay site that was recommended. It came in about 4 days and cost just over £200 if I remember rightly.

Apparently (according to the expert CNC guys) because of that extra torque with the bigger spindle, you can use it quite happily between 8000 and 12000 for cutting ali at these optimum revs without stalling. The smaller spindles wouldn't have the torque, as it has been discussed earlier. It's a heavy beast of a spindle at 5Kg., but looks well made. And at these slower revs, the noise is said to be quite bearable, I will do some decibel tests and post them here.

I got one of the cheapo chinese pumps, but for testing it's not needed anyway, as apparently you can easily have the spindle on for at least 30 mins before it even gets warm. I am a little apprehensive as always about the first time I use anything I am unfamiliar with. There are some settings to do before firing the motor. The router will be around 1000 x 700mm with dual ballscrews on the longer X axis, belt driven. I will use 5mm pitch screws, good for cutting ali, thus the servos for the times when extra speed is needed, such as if I want to cut wood which requires fast feeds so as to avoid burning the wood. I am just writing from what I've researched, as I otherwise have zero experience with this.

Edward

Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6