It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 CNC Router Build 

Post Re: CNC Router Build
Hi Kit that looks nice for sign writers. Emphasis why i need to get my X axis running a bit quicker :( .
Running a CNC without a monitor can be troublesum Kit . Used to run one at one of the places i worked real pain ya just plugged in a usb stick and hoped . No idea what the spindle would do next . I like reading the code on my Mach3 screen and seeing the tool path been generated . But horses for courses, think its a much safer why of working though .
D1

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:59 am

Hi Kit

I concur about the drag engravers. I tried writing fine text on my cnc mill and mostly succeeded in breaking the tiny cutters. The main problem is the work is rarely perfectly flat relative to the z axis, unless you machine it first, which is not practical with sheet metal. So using a spring loaded device is the best solution - they are a bit expensive though... :(

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Gerald,
Diamond drag engravers do vary a bit in price. You can save a bit by making your own spring-loaded holder if you have the tools but I have my eye on an $85 AUD unit which comes complete. It all depends on how long the diamond lasts! I have a potential customer (the local source of Aluminium profiles and useful offcuts who I'm keen to keep sweet!) who wants to put engraved labels on the trailers he makes. Mine may be the only CNC router within 800Km of here.

D1,
The g2core software on the Arduino Due board does all the time-critical thinking about generating the step and direction pulses for each motor and handles the emergency stop, limit switches etc, but the software on the laptop still controls the whole thing and includes a graphic display of the tool path and where you're up to, much like LinuxCNC and, I assume, MACH3 does. The advantages are that the pulse timing is much more accurate and the USB link and Windows based program means I only have to find bench space for the laptop when I'm actually making sawdust.
The makers also claim their acceleration profiles are super-advanced leading to smoother moves at higher speeds with less broken tools.

Kit

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:37 am

Hi Kit think laser cutters have taken over the etching market these days . You have to apply a spray that helps the etching process on aluminium i think. Not tried it on my machine yet but if i ever do will let ya know .

Will be interested to see how your controller goes incase i ever run out of XP machines . Mach3 been used in industry for years now so think that speaks for that though .
D1

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12