It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 CNC Router Build 

Post Re: CNC Router Build
Hi Kit that looks nice for sign writers. Emphasis why i need to get my X axis running a bit quicker :( .
Running a CNC without a monitor can be troublesum Kit . Used to run one at one of the places i worked real pain ya just plugged in a usb stick and hoped . No idea what the spindle would do next . I like reading the code on my Mach3 screen and seeing the tool path been generated . But horses for courses, think its a much safer why of working though .
D1

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:59 am

Hi Kit

I concur about the drag engravers. I tried writing fine text on my cnc mill and mostly succeeded in breaking the tiny cutters. The main problem is the work is rarely perfectly flat relative to the z axis, unless you machine it first, which is not practical with sheet metal. So using a spring loaded device is the best solution - they are a bit expensive though... :(

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Gerald,
Diamond drag engravers do vary a bit in price. You can save a bit by making your own spring-loaded holder if you have the tools but I have my eye on an $85 AUD unit which comes complete. It all depends on how long the diamond lasts! I have a potential customer (the local source of Aluminium profiles and useful offcuts who I'm keen to keep sweet!) who wants to put engraved labels on the trailers he makes. Mine may be the only CNC router within 800Km of here.

D1,
The g2core software on the Arduino Due board does all the time-critical thinking about generating the step and direction pulses for each motor and handles the emergency stop, limit switches etc, but the software on the laptop still controls the whole thing and includes a graphic display of the tool path and where you're up to, much like LinuxCNC and, I assume, MACH3 does. The advantages are that the pulse timing is much more accurate and the USB link and Windows based program means I only have to find bench space for the laptop when I'm actually making sawdust.
The makers also claim their acceleration profiles are super-advanced leading to smoother moves at higher speeds with less broken tools.

Kit

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:37 am

Hi Kit think laser cutters have taken over the etching market these days . You have to apply a spray that helps the etching process on aluminium i think. Not tried it on my machine yet but if i ever do will let ya know .

Will be interested to see how your controller goes incase i ever run out of XP machines . Mach3 been used in industry for years now so think that speaks for that though .
D1

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 am

Well router finally earning its keep . Been running all week on various jobs with no problems at all . Even leave it to it now i was a bit unsure about doing that a month or so ago.
[flickr] Image2018-02-23 14.21.01 by D 1, on Flickr [/flickr]
[flickr]Image2018-02-23 18.17.40 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
Only problem i have had is breaking my 1,5mm ballnose and that was m fault . Really annoying as they nearly £20 a pop so using cheap Chinese 2mm ones now. They are fine on acrylic and a fraction of the cost . Funny doing such small stuff on such a large machine but thats what it was made for .
Must get rotary axis sorted out but now its in use find hard to find time for more messing about .
D1

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:11 am

Wow, these are great and it looks like you are doing some 3D stuff already!

What are they? They look like miniature stools.

I am glad you are using your router for work.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:52 am

Yep miniature bar stools . Still using Fusion360 but the more i use it the more frustrating a find it . It could be great but theirs somethings just not right about it. Doesn't matter how quick your computer is if you got a bad internet connection i think you get problems. My sheds connection not great and seems to drop of drastically after 3.30 dont know if its kids coming home from school or what . But because of the auto save in Fusion it just slows down and some things just dont work and a bit latter they will so hard to tell when its your fault or programs :( . Will stick with it as its free and its the only 3d cad cam i can get .
Hows your build going Edward look forward to seeing some pics .
D1

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:20 pm

Those bar stools look really neat, great to see the machine earning some return for you after all the hard work and trauma.

Fusion 360 has an offline mode for those times when your internet connection is not adequate. I used it once years ago when I took my laptop away from home to do some drawings.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... fline.html

Kit

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Cheers kit will give that a go when the kids hit their devices . Must admit with Fusion every time i do something i know i could do it three times quicker in Designspark .
My main bug bare is the constraints dominate to much and you cant switch them off . You can hold the control key that disables them but not a perfect solution . Also the design history is to clever for its own good and is to complicated when ya build anything more complicated than a cube . If you try and change something on the initial sketch in a complicated design then be prepared to do a lot of waiting to then get a error code .
Theirs other things you cant move a solid into sculpt mode so whats the point ! I could go on lots of really annoying things specially when ya get into 3D stuff on cam side . But as say its free and spent 6 months with it i will carry on but maybe i should look at Rhino or something .
Hows your build going Kit any nice pics to look at yet ?
D1

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:33 am

D1,
I'm still happy with Cambam, I tried Fusion 360 but spent too much time not actually making any of the things I wanted to use Fusion 360 to help me make!

My own router is not very happy at the moment. I bodged the new ballscrews into place (definitely NO pictures of that mess!) but one of the X motors is not behaving so the gantry gets out of square. I won't be getting to the bottom of that one until the end of next month as we're off on our holls to Tasmania at the weekend. I did get to test my diamond engraving bit today though and the machine ran well enough to produce some nice results. May need several passes to get good depth of cut but that's OK.

I'm making slow progress with the G2core software plans. I've ordered a breakout board for the Arduino Due from Djuke in the Netherlands and I'm trying to get my head round the software used for compiling real programs rather than simple Arduino sketches. And I've reassembled the semi-automatic loom that got pushed aside to make room for a knitted coral reef last year and begun de-bugging the Arduino sketches for that. Still trying to do too many things at once as usual :D

Kit

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 am

Yep Cambam is a solid preform never had any problems with that one . Think Fusions problem is its almost trying to do to much and it all just falls down in places .
Ah problems with twin motors on the x axis i did warn ya :D
I am having my own problems at mo the auto zero tool randomly slams the tool into the work piece . Not electrical problem think its a software issue . Their are a few auto zero plugins out their just think i picked the wrong one . Costing me a fortune always seems to do it when the most expensive cutter is loaded :(
Enjoy ya hols Kit .
D1

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 am

I couldn't resist sticking my fingers back in it today and fixed the motor problem. Needed to shim one of the bodged up motor mounts to take some tension off a bearing which was making that side's ballscrew noticably harder to turn than the other. Seems OK now, I can run over the same engraving job three times after sending the tool all over the place between runs and it comes back to the same starting point bang on. Nice to know that job isn't waiting for me when I get home.

I'm sorry to hear about the zeroing problem. I use LinuxCNC and found a program which runs on an Arduino (I must have about 20+ of those damn things around here by now) to talk to the software. It has a plate to sit on top of the workpiece and a croc-clip to connect to the tool. Only problem is that if I hit the 'start' button by accident there is no way to stop the tool running down other than shorting the croc-clip to the plate, which will have fallen on the floor under the bench as you'd expect. Even the EMERGENCY STOP! button doesn't work under these circumstances. I haven't broken any tools yet but I'm still using a small NEMA17 motor on the Z axis which stalls fairly easily but works fine for cutting wood which is all I do.

Kit

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:43 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12