It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 CNC Router Build 

Post Re: CNC Router Build
Hi Kit that looks nice for sign writers. Emphasis why i need to get my X axis running a bit quicker :( .
Running a CNC without a monitor can be troublesum Kit . Used to run one at one of the places i worked real pain ya just plugged in a usb stick and hoped . No idea what the spindle would do next . I like reading the code on my Mach3 screen and seeing the tool path been generated . But horses for courses, think its a much safer why of working though .
D1

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:59 am

Hi Kit

I concur about the drag engravers. I tried writing fine text on my cnc mill and mostly succeeded in breaking the tiny cutters. The main problem is the work is rarely perfectly flat relative to the z axis, unless you machine it first, which is not practical with sheet metal. So using a spring loaded device is the best solution - they are a bit expensive though... :(

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Gerald,
Diamond drag engravers do vary a bit in price. You can save a bit by making your own spring-loaded holder if you have the tools but I have my eye on an $85 AUD unit which comes complete. It all depends on how long the diamond lasts! I have a potential customer (the local source of Aluminium profiles and useful offcuts who I'm keen to keep sweet!) who wants to put engraved labels on the trailers he makes. Mine may be the only CNC router within 800Km of here.

D1,
The g2core software on the Arduino Due board does all the time-critical thinking about generating the step and direction pulses for each motor and handles the emergency stop, limit switches etc, but the software on the laptop still controls the whole thing and includes a graphic display of the tool path and where you're up to, much like LinuxCNC and, I assume, MACH3 does. The advantages are that the pulse timing is much more accurate and the USB link and Windows based program means I only have to find bench space for the laptop when I'm actually making sawdust.
The makers also claim their acceleration profiles are super-advanced leading to smoother moves at higher speeds with less broken tools.

Kit

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:37 am

Hi Kit think laser cutters have taken over the etching market these days . You have to apply a spray that helps the etching process on aluminium i think. Not tried it on my machine yet but if i ever do will let ya know .

Will be interested to see how your controller goes incase i ever run out of XP machines . Mach3 been used in industry for years now so think that speaks for that though .
D1

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 am

Well router finally earning its keep . Been running all week on various jobs with no problems at all . Even leave it to it now i was a bit unsure about doing that a month or so ago.
[flickr] Image2018-02-23 14.21.01 by D 1, on Flickr [/flickr]
[flickr]Image2018-02-23 18.17.40 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
Only problem i have had is breaking my 1,5mm ballnose and that was m fault . Really annoying as they nearly £20 a pop so using cheap Chinese 2mm ones now. They are fine on acrylic and a fraction of the cost . Funny doing such small stuff on such a large machine but thats what it was made for .
Must get rotary axis sorted out but now its in use find hard to find time for more messing about .
D1

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:11 am

Wow, these are great and it looks like you are doing some 3D stuff already!

What are they? They look like miniature stools.

I am glad you are using your router for work.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:52 am

Yep miniature bar stools . Still using Fusion360 but the more i use it the more frustrating a find it . It could be great but theirs somethings just not right about it. Doesn't matter how quick your computer is if you got a bad internet connection i think you get problems. My sheds connection not great and seems to drop of drastically after 3.30 dont know if its kids coming home from school or what . But because of the auto save in Fusion it just slows down and some things just dont work and a bit latter they will so hard to tell when its your fault or programs :( . Will stick with it as its free and its the only 3d cad cam i can get .
Hows your build going Edward look forward to seeing some pics .
D1

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:20 pm

Those bar stools look really neat, great to see the machine earning some return for you after all the hard work and trauma.

Fusion 360 has an offline mode for those times when your internet connection is not adequate. I used it once years ago when I took my laptop away from home to do some drawings.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... fline.html

Kit

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Cheers kit will give that a go when the kids hit their devices . Must admit with Fusion every time i do something i know i could do it three times quicker in Designspark .
My main bug bare is the constraints dominate to much and you cant switch them off . You can hold the control key that disables them but not a perfect solution . Also the design history is to clever for its own good and is to complicated when ya build anything more complicated than a cube . If you try and change something on the initial sketch in a complicated design then be prepared to do a lot of waiting to then get a error code .
Theirs other things you cant move a solid into sculpt mode so whats the point ! I could go on lots of really annoying things specially when ya get into 3D stuff on cam side . But as say its free and spent 6 months with it i will carry on but maybe i should look at Rhino or something .
Hows your build going Kit any nice pics to look at yet ?
D1

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:33 am

D1,
I'm still happy with Cambam, I tried Fusion 360 but spent too much time not actually making any of the things I wanted to use Fusion 360 to help me make!

My own router is not very happy at the moment. I bodged the new ballscrews into place (definitely NO pictures of that mess!) but one of the X motors is not behaving so the gantry gets out of square. I won't be getting to the bottom of that one until the end of next month as we're off on our holls to Tasmania at the weekend. I did get to test my diamond engraving bit today though and the machine ran well enough to produce some nice results. May need several passes to get good depth of cut but that's OK.

I'm making slow progress with the G2core software plans. I've ordered a breakout board for the Arduino Due from Djuke in the Netherlands and I'm trying to get my head round the software used for compiling real programs rather than simple Arduino sketches. And I've reassembled the semi-automatic loom that got pushed aside to make room for a knitted coral reef last year and begun de-bugging the Arduino sketches for that. Still trying to do too many things at once as usual :D

Kit

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 am

Yep Cambam is a solid preform never had any problems with that one . Think Fusions problem is its almost trying to do to much and it all just falls down in places .
Ah problems with twin motors on the x axis i did warn ya :D
I am having my own problems at mo the auto zero tool randomly slams the tool into the work piece . Not electrical problem think its a software issue . Their are a few auto zero plugins out their just think i picked the wrong one . Costing me a fortune always seems to do it when the most expensive cutter is loaded :(
Enjoy ya hols Kit .
D1

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 am

I couldn't resist sticking my fingers back in it today and fixed the motor problem. Needed to shim one of the bodged up motor mounts to take some tension off a bearing which was making that side's ballscrew noticably harder to turn than the other. Seems OK now, I can run over the same engraving job three times after sending the tool all over the place between runs and it comes back to the same starting point bang on. Nice to know that job isn't waiting for me when I get home.

I'm sorry to hear about the zeroing problem. I use LinuxCNC and found a program which runs on an Arduino (I must have about 20+ of those damn things around here by now) to talk to the software. It has a plate to sit on top of the workpiece and a croc-clip to connect to the tool. Only problem is that if I hit the 'start' button by accident there is no way to stop the tool running down other than shorting the croc-clip to the plate, which will have fallen on the floor under the bench as you'd expect. Even the EMERGENCY STOP! button doesn't work under these circumstances. I haven't broken any tools yet but I'm still using a small NEMA17 motor on the Z axis which stalls fairly easily but works fine for cutting wood which is all I do.

Kit

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:43 am

Well little update on all things CNC think Kits thread prob of more interest now as its a new birth . Mine is just a troublesome teenager now :D .
Been using it a lot so few little problems resolved and a few more discovered . Think solved the auto tool zero failing on occasion and more often not when my most expensive bits in the chuck :(
Think it was the puter going into sleep mode in some way so i put all settings to non sleep mode ! Seemed to work any ways.
But i have now bust the bank and spent £15 on Big Tex blue screen http://big-tex.tk/ Worth every penny .
As a very good tool zeroing function but it will also can probe a circle and find the centre , find edges and corners to .
It also lets you define a touch off place when you change tools so dont have to worry about the fact you may have machine the touch off height away .
You could prob do all this in Mach 3 yourself with different scripts etc but for £15 my time is more valuable.
Another problem i was having was false e stop singles. Not sure why may be the spindle motor interfering with stuff not sure . Never had it on my small mill but their again i dont have any e stops or limit switches on that one .
Simple solution seems to be upping the debounce factor mine was at zero so that explains a lot of that and seems to be working fine now . https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index ... c=15570.10 .
Sure their will be more teething problems but nothing major just wish i had gone for 10 pitch ballscrews . If i ever find a use for the 5 pitch ones i would swap them for the 10 .

D1

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:47 am

D1,
I'm glad the machine is behaving reasonably well and getting plenty of use.

My Z homing has stopped working for some reason so I'm back to the piece-of-paper-under-the-tool method for now. I also had problems in the past with limit switches (I use microswitches not magnetic ones) false triggering which I fixed by connecting capacitors accross the inputs to the inteface card to supress electrical interference. RS components part number 715-2808 if you have more problems in future. Just connect them across the input teminals making sure you get the + and - the right way round. They're about 15 pence each!

My machine uses LinuxCNC which is easy to set up for a simple, vanilla machine but is a pain for add-ons like auto zeroing of Z and especially for having separate control of the two X-axis motors for removing racking errors during zeroing. I've been thinking that the easiest way to do this is to add on some simple external circuitry (with an Arduino in control of course!) which briefly takes over controll of the relevant motor drivers just to do the racking correction and Z-zeroing. This is much simpler than trying to get my head round the documentation for LinuxCNC which seems to tell me everything you could possibly imagine: except what I want to know!

Here's a picture of mt latest test. I'm working on a wooden clock design and like the idea of quite industrial looking wheels, a bit steam-punkish. The intial gear was designed in Gearotic and a DXF file copied into CamBam for editting. The wood is Jarrah.

Attachment:
JarrahGear-1.jpg
JarrahGear-1.jpg [ 86.91 KiB | Viewed 848 times ]

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi Kit the cog looks good will be interesting to see the finished clock .
The higher denounce setting seems to have solved my false triggers . Having it set to zero was a little optimistic considering the length and number of cables etc . I did use screened cables on the spindle and steppers. But as i say seems ok now . Makes me realise how much i dont know about Mach 3 their always seems to be a thing you can click that sorts things out or at least attempts to . I do recommend it especially with the Big Tex screen i will never go back to bit of paper .
Its also solved my problem with tool change on the rotary axis because i can set a separate touch of point . All i need to do is find i nice lump of wood so i can carve something out of it :D .
D1

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:11 am

Hi Kit. The gear looks very clean, and so small too. I wonder though how do you do the flip side? Bolt it down using the center hole or some other scheme?

Perhaps you could build more than just a clock from timber?

For CNC I use KmotionCNC with the kflop controller - same as used by Mantis. It allows creating subroutines quite easily. Edward wrote a homing sequence for his mill which works well. I've just been a bit too lazy to make a sensor, so I use a magnifying glass and do it manually...

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:00 am

Hi guys,
Good to see that there is a flurry of activity yet again.
I've been quite inactive on this front because it's taken me a while to sell all my surplus camera and photo equipment in order to be free to continue with my router build. Also, it's been so damn hot that I've become lazy, I don't know how you guys in Oz can bear to do anything in your hot summertime. Instead of being stuck indoors, I bought myself a little Mazda MX5 to tour around the country with my wife and have a break from it all.

Now I am regaining the zest for making things again and I'll start posting shortly on my progress with the router so we can compare notes. First I will be making more desktop space in my workshop using a combination of 40x80 ali profile for the structure and 30mm hardwood on top. I also want to treat myself to a good vertical bandsaw to cut thick ali. So my search for a decent one begins tomorrow and I will let you know what I get eventually.
Edward

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Gerald,
The gear is actually 110mm in diameter. It does look small in that photograph in spite of the lined paper and the pen. The limiting factor is the tool size for cutting the teeth. This one used a 2.5mm tool.
Smaller diameters with few teeth are OK as the teeth are pulled apart by the tight curvature. Fortunately the Gearotic software tells you the minimum tool diameter required for a given design as soon as you set the required diameter and tooth count. It's designed by Art Fenerty who is also responsible for creating MACH3.
I did video the whole making of the gear but have not had time to edit it yet. The method was far from perfect but I learned a lot. Basically I cut a square blank of timber, clamped it down and then used the machine to drill holes at each corner, screwed it down and removed the clamps. This meant I could flip the blank over without losing registration. Fixing by the centre hole alone will not prevent the material rotating under cuting load. Been there, done that, got the scrap timber to prove it. I may decide that only the front, visible face needs the recessing anyway, it's purely cosmetic.

There are all sorts of machines and toys you could make with wooden gears. Of course it would also be a good way to make patterns for casting heavier duty parts in metal as well. Thogh I do NOT have any plans to make a 1/4 scale traction engine at the moment ( I have to add that bit to appease my wife).

Edward,
My wife had an MX5 (with heated leather seats) in England. It was one of the few things she was sorry to leave behind when we came to Australia. The climate here is not really a problem regarding making stuff. In January we just spend lots of money running the air-conditioning in the shed instead of lots of money running the heating as you do (though your workshop is deliberately well insulated I think?). Pommies don't really understand what 'hot outside' means (I once installed an area of decking on a 47C afternoon before I learned better), just as most Aussies ( except the Tasmanians) don't understand 'cold'. It does get a bit warm around my outdoor workbench at times with tools becoming too hot to touch if not put in the shade, and metal smelting never really got going thanks to the bushfire risk and consequent ban on open flames outdoors. We're still in winter at the moment so the weather in Exmouth is lovely: blue skies, sunshine, daily max around 23C.

Kit

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:19 pm

I've put a video of the gear being cut on vimeo. There isn't a comentary but it's fairly clear. After recesing the first side with a 6mm bit the blank is turned over and the same cuts made on the second side. The spokes should have been cut as a pocket not a profile, you can see how well the Jarrah splinters. The teeth were rough cut with a 3mm bit and finished with a 2.5mm bit. The centre drilling was done on the pillar drill to make it more accurate. There is a 16mm diameter recess for a ball bearing on the underside.

I deliberately cut quite fast and deep (2000mm/min and up to 3mm depth) to test the machine and the wood. One concern was whether the teeth with grain going across them would break off easily but this is not the case. The surface finish does vary with grain direction though.

Kit

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/284841202[/vimeo]

PS. I can't get the vimeo to embed properly, but the link is there for those who want a look.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi Kit your machine looking like a pro now . Do wish i had 10 pitch ballscrews how many times am i going to say that :D . Just means you can go fast without the worry of gantry lock up hey ho.
Hi Edward nice to have you back i do believe we are down to a rather reduced list of contributors on this site . Least its not to chaotic i suppose .
Just a quick vid of Big Tex touch off . It makes tool change a pleasure i did avoid it in the past

After this initial set up all you have to use is the second plate which can be at any height and any place you want . If people fancy Mach 3 also came across this so you can use it with more modern puters .
http://www.cnc1.eu/en/UC100_en.htm
All the timing is done within the device so a lot more stable apparently. I still have a few decent XP machine laying about so not a issue yet . Also not sure how well it would work with my breakout board .
D1

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:03 am

Hi Kit,
On Youtube URLs I remove the "s" from HTTPS and I make sure it has the www. I am not sure if the same applies to Vimeo. So something like http://www.vimeo....etc
In you gear cutting, did you also stick down the wood to the table with double sided, as well as the four screws? You don't show the end of cutting of the teeth, when the inner part separates from the outer part, and I am curious as to what happened if you cut it right through.

Hi D1,

Yes, good to get back to business.

I am not sure I understand why you need two touch off plates?

I made a similar touch off plate, I think. The way I wrote the macro is: you quickly jog the head to position roughly above the plate and quite close so you don't waste time when it auto descends at slow speed, then I press a button to activate the macro, the head then descends slowly until the tip of the tool touches the plate surface which sets the height coordinate to 20mm and then rises quickly to be exactly 30mm from zero (zero being the top surface of the piece to be machined).

The bottom half of the box is made of Delrin to insulate it from the metal on the vise. The height of the contraption is exactly calibrated to be 20mm.
I think the circuit works on 24V rather than 12V, you get a nice little spark when it closes, i.e when the tip of the tool touches the plate. At the switch end, I have an opto-coupler. When the circuit closes, the optocoupler activates the low voltage input switch of the Kflop which triggers the second part of the macro which has been waiting for something to happen. Or at least that's how I remember it, it's been a long time..

Here is the video again.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi Kit. I wish aluminium would cut that easily... It's a bit clearer, but still wondering - it looks like you are not machining all the way through with the teeth? So how do you separate it from the back? Do you flip it over again and face the other side off?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Gerald,
I uploaded the video without a commentary which was not actually Plan-A. Must be my age :D
The blank gets flipped over after cutting the top recesses and then the same MOPs run again. The teeth have holding tabs on every third tooth. I wanted to see how well this would work for tabs which are actuall suspended in mid-air (the underside is recessed and hence 2mm above the baseplate). After seeing how well this didn't work for the spokes, I reworked the CamBam drawing to put wider tabs on the spokes and more of them which worked out OK. This wood, construction grade Jarrah, is very brittle and not ideal for the job, but it's the only hardwood I can buy within 850km of home.

I've tried creating a single G-code file with pauses for complex jobs like this but find it less prone to error, and more flexible for changes if required, to have completely separate files for different parts of the work and always for a tool change.

Kit

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:48 pm

i have run several different cnc's that cut granite slabs into kitchen benchtops and mill out and polish the holes for undermount sinks or dropin sinks. all have those touch function plates you guys are talking about but their never utilized. all the tools heights, tool diameters are set by digital caliper or eye :). after the tools are setup they very rarely change except the diameter of the tool as it wears but usually that's only about .1 of a millimeter at a time. the drill i usually change about half a millimeter at a time to keep it cutting through the stone. for drilling we use diamond tipped core drills which gives the milling fingers some space to drop down into. i have two days work this week i'll take some photos and video. i have chatted to the tech guys about the touch function plates but i get vague technical replies which amount too, yes there is that functionality built into the machine but its not implemented very well so it doesn't get used, we are talking machines worth more than $250000 so it is kinda odd that they can do everything else but use the touch plate. besides i'd be out of a part time job if everyone could set up the tooling and run the machine lol

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Almost a flurry of activity :D
Hi Edward simple answer is imagine if you had machined all the material away that gave you your touch of height . Something i do quite often and is a deff when using 4th axis . You would lose your touch off height when it came to tool change .
The second plate becomes the default touch off plate . The first touch off plate is just used to establish the height of stock after that you dont have to bother with it and i just disconnect it .
Another nice touch with Big Texs routine is the double tap it gives you a very accurate measurement . You can also specify ware the tool change position is so its easy to get to .It will go to that position every time .
Of course you could prob do all this with scripts etc but as say for £15 no brainer really .
D1

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:03 am

I'm not sure I understand the two touch-off plates method. The device I made using a design for LinuxCNC I found online somewhere simply requires a croc clip connected to the tool and a plate held on top of the work. And it uses an Arduino!!! Press a button and the tool runs down slowly until it hits the plate and stops. I then manually enter the Z height as 3.0mm (the thickness of the plate) and zero is then the top of the work. Has to be re-done for every tool change and every new job with a different thickness of material.

For some reason this has stopped working but it had the slight problem of not responding to any commands from linuxCNC once in motion, including the emergency stop! I have plans for a new design.

Kit

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:50 am

D1,
Thanks, I can see the logic. I don't think it would apply to me on the mill because all the tools are pre-measured and the program adjusts to different tool lengths accordingly. But on the new router I will have different tool distances every time I change them, and I will have to play with machine offsets. I think I will still somehow manage with just one touch off plate, but I will have to think it through when the time comes.

Edward

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 am

Hi, D1, long time no post :( but still follow occasionally. Not on topic - lol. A long while ago you made reference to light mapping, I found this https://lightform.com/ that may be of interest to you.
Still awaiting my Apertus camera, coming along slooooowwwwly. In mean time it's tree climbing and looping season again.
Any sign of a Christmas project on the horizon? All the best to all the posters of this topic Best regards MikeA.

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:47 am

Hi Mike yes it as been a long time . I noticed you have turned a bit of wildlife videographer does this mean you have crashed your drone :D .
Not had much time for projects recently been to busy at work . Just bought my very own DMC 16 but not had a chance to play with it yet . As i am mainly in the world of animation its a lot better deal than Mantis .
No Christmas add this year and to be honest not a bad thing not particularly keen on the season of good will anyways .
Couple of others though .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... vdRtQbhfls

Yep motion control not may best work but just to much to fit in to short a time .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBVd0JkLvSE

and this did the Dinner and hotel which is on for all of 2.5 secs !
But CNC is earning a living i wouldn't say its paid for itself yet be we are getting their. Not sure how Kit and Edward are getting on with theirs seems to have gone quite on that front .
Look forward to seeing what you do with your camera when it turns up . Are you not worried that commercially available things are not going to out spec it . Cameras do seem to be developing rapidly these days and getting smaller.
Cheers all D1

Ps youtube embedding seems to have stopped working prob due to lack of use !

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:03 pm

Nice to see some activity after so long a quiet spell!

Mike: re the light mapping, I was sent this video on facebook a while back of an instalation at Brussels airport. I've attached a direct link to the video at Facebook. The link works for me even if I'm not logged in so presumably it works even if you don't have a Facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/liby.pil/video ... 045344795/

D1: There is a bit of activity here in rapidly-getting-too-hot Exmouth, WA. I've bought new fully-supported rails and a longer Y-axis ballscrew for the ongoing upgrade of my new steel-framed machine and have managed to scrounge enough 50 x 100mm steel box section off the tip to build a complete new gantry which will not look terribly unlike yours. I've bought a dinky little welder to help me there. The current design is nice and rigid but seriously restricts the Y-axis movement.

I've also built an add-on circuit board to add racking adjustment by having two limit switches and separate control of the two X-axis motors. Apparently the latest version of LinuxCNC can do this if you dig deep enough into the programming but I haven't yet found an explanation I understand so I've used technology I'm familliar with and made a completely external unit that plugs inline with the parallel port cable and interrupts some of the signals when required. And yes, it contains an Arduino! It requires no messing with my current installation of LinuxCNC which I've been very happy with since biulding my first Heath Robinson machine all those years ago.

I'm going to be visiting my sister in Manchester (Walkden to be precise) in February which I suspect is not far from where you are. I'd love to meet up over a beer if you're interested. I'll send you a PM about that.

Kit

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi, D1 glad to hear you are still picking up animation work, will check out your links. Drone is still flying, no crashes to date :D . Not so much flying over the year due to being away on holiday early part of year, back disc problem and many "no fly conditions".
On wildlife front I live about 50 metres from the forest but mostly wander around the deer trails off the "tourist / dog walker" paths a few miles away. Camera weighs at around 10kg if I take lightweight tripod or at another 10kg for the larger one.
You are right about specs on other cameras catching up with the Apertus.
I have a Blackmagic Pocket 4K on order that had good spec. "low light" performance and light weight so hopefully not so many missed opportunities due to setting up problems when wandering the woods. Also my poor old bones will not ache so much after a 4-5hr stint ;)
Hi, Kit, trust you are well and busy as ever with projects, like the link to the light mapping, still wondering if an order may be forth coming ;)

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:24 am

I've read back through the last few posts and now understand the point of the second touch-off plate! My new little box of tricks won't be that clever however.

Progress on clocks has been slow, other things to do and I've decided to go ahead with the full upgrade to what I expect (my wife isn't convinced) will be the final version of the router with fully suported round rails on both X and Y axes, approx 980 x 620mm cutting area, an auto racking gantry that might actually be acceptably straight, flat, parallel and perpendicular all at the same time!

I've got detailed CamBam drawings of a couple of clock designs but am reluctant to take the time to cut out pieces until the router is at it's best. First priority today is to develop my welding skills by making a shade canopy for the window in my shed. Summer has come early this year (we've already had a 40C day this week according to the patio thermometer) and the sun comes straight in onto the bench and makes all the tools too hot to touch!

That wooden gear was fun but too complex. In future I'm probably going to have all the recessed boss and spokes on the visible front side and leave the back flat!

Kit

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:38 pm

Oh dear sounds like we all having either health problems or heat problems . I could grumble for hours about aches and pains but thats a bit to off topic and very boring .
Glad ya drones still in one piece Mike and have you seen those Ximea cameras https://www.ximea.com/ . Supported by Dragonframe to tiny things good for rig work .
Hi Kit i have sent you a PM . Thanks for link best projection mapping i have seen for ages . It would really confuse me Mum :D .
Well now i have my DMC i may post some more motion control stuff when i have time . But dont hold ya breath .
D1

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:10 pm

good to hear that someone else has also ordered a bm p4k i pre ordered and i am told a 4-7 week back order. i know they have been shipping units for a little while hopefully it turns up before xmas. looking at getting the samsung t5 1 terrabyte ssd. its one of the few rated to work wth the p4k by bm. the price of memory cards for it over here are astronomical i have some m42 and fd adapters to mft on order. but i think i'll wait and see if a dedicated speed booster is made for it before i commit to one of those bad boys as they can get a bit pricey

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:04 am

I like the look of those cameras D1 but always suspicious when "call sales for price" :D Look forward to seeing some DMC 16 footage.
Hi, Chardie, no date for the arrival of my camera, I have a XL speed booster for my Canon L lenses and the T5 500Gb SSD, so small especially compared with my original storage disc system, twin 5 1/4 floppy drives with a capacity are 750Mb if I recall :D also have a custom Small Rig rig on order with disc holder and speed booster support for around 180 USD.
Looking forward to "light weight" and "low light performance for use under the tree canopy where it can get quite dull especially on cloudy days.
I use an Ultra speed booster for my Sony/Canon combination and it works fine, make sure you get/make and use a speed booster support to take the strain between camera and lens.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:41 am

No way am I going to publish a photograph to the world of my first bit of welding on the latest (I really DO hope this is the last) upgrade for my CNC machine. The bits are firmly held together but my particular technique would best be described as "bird-poo".

Anyway, it does mean I've stopped doing endless drawings in CamBam and pondering exactly how to do each and every stage of the job and actually started the real work. One key decission was to use self-levelling epoxy, especially after finding a pleasantly cheap source here in Australia which included free delivery Australia-wide! Makes a big difference to the cost of getting stuff out here in the wilds. Hope this brand works OK!

I don't do swanky Fusion 360 drawings like D1 so you'll have to wait until I've done some more work to cover over the welding before I publish any visuals, but the design is not dissimilar to D1's own beast. Two 804mm lengths of 100 x 50mm box section steel have been welded together to produce a 200mm high main gantry section and further pieces of the same stuff will form end cheeks. Two 800mm fully suported 16mm diameter rails with a ballscrew in between will fit on the front surface once the whole face has been levelled.

Having recently turned a perfectly respectable 6mm twist drill into a burnt mess in far fewer seconds than I would have though possible whilst drilling steel, I'm also constructing a rudimentary oil dispenser for the pillar drill. Does anybody have a good recipe for DIY cutting oil? The commercial stuff suffers the usual problem of freight costs mentined above for getting a 5kg bottle of gloop delivered to tropical WA. I've heard rumours that a mixture of cooking oil, w/u liquid and water can be used. If it works I can whiz these up into a nice emulsion in the wife's Nutribullet as all the ingredients come from the kitchen anyway :-)

Kit

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:55 am

Hi Kit go on show us your welding . Ill show you my attempts at ali welding then :D Not easy and very frustrating :(
I have had no problems with my gantry and its the most solid bit of the entire router . Still need to beef up how the ballscrews are connected to it as thats the weak point.
I would strongly recommend the concrete thing it just adds mass which is good in many ways . Keeps the noise down too wish i had filled the base frame to .
Drilling steel is always best slow and a proper carbide bit makes all the difference . For drilling larger holes in steel box i do fine step drills good even the cheap ones work well
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSS-Step-Con ... 912%2520mm

Post some pics when ya slapped some paint on your welds .
What was the levelling compound by way can ya post a link i ended up making my own . Do it on a warm day to but that shouldn't be a problem for you, but was for me.
Cheers D1

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:33 am

D1,
Oh allright then. BUT NO LAUGHING!

Attachment:
File comment: A masterpiece of 'Bird-Poo' welding.
Welding.jpg
Welding.jpg [ 59.35 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]

It looks c**p but I've bashed it about with a lump hammer and it's good and solid. The rails and leadscrew fit on the front. By a happy coincidence the top of the sliding bearings and the ballnut housing are at the same height so a simple flat plate works as the back of the Z-axis unit.

Attachment:
File comment: Rails and leadscrew.
Rails.jpg
Rails.jpg [ 63.51 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]

The end cheeks are made of more bits of 50 x 100 box. The upright sections stop half way up to make room for the leadscrew pulley and belt. Should be rigid enough.

Attachment:
File comment: End cheeks.
Cheeks1.jpg
Cheeks1.jpg [ 85.31 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]

The bottom section will bolt onto a plate running on the new 20mm rails. I'm re-using the same side beams with existing ballscrew and new rails attached to form a separate 'linear actuator' as before. This means that the alignment of the rails to the ballscrew is done indipendantly. The alignment of the rails to each other is then done by adjusting the whole actutator on it's end fixings (one bolt with shims as required).

New plates running on the new rails will cary the gantry. As in your design I'm going to use the self levelling epoxy with a bridge between the two sides to get them level. I have a precision spirit level which is in a square frame to allow it to set a vertical surface as well. Plan is to get the rails fitted and then use the level to jig them up to be vertical one to the other and horizontal (all at the same time!) before pouring the epoxy. The gantry then bolts down onto the sliding plates with enough adjustment to get the X and Y axes exactly square.

Re the self levelling epoxy: I got onto one company and told them what I wanted and they recommended one of their products (a nice clear resin) which was going to be expensive, especially with $64AUD freight on top for only 3 litres. I decided to try shimming everything instead but then found the following product. It's described as 'Low Viscosity' and 'Self Levelling' so I have my fingers crossed.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Concrete-Ep ... 2303418417

Kit

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12