It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:33 am

diy crame jib with brake 

Post diy crame jib with brake
hi all
looking to make a cheap crane/ jib thingy for the gopro anyone have some thoughts on easy to do friction brake. i know that the back end has weights to balance it, but was thinking of some type of brake to hold it locked occasionally

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:52 am

Post Re: diy crame jib with brake
bit of an update had some rails turn up the other day. i ordered some 8 mm rails after they had turned up i realized i could flex them pretty easy so ordered two extra supports for the middle. i guess i lose a little movement but not sure if thats going to be too much of an issue as with the gopro and the wide angle view you would see the rails anyway. i may have to modify my approach slightly.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:03 am

cad drawing of the jib cane proposed,

i do have to build some type of mock up as i want to make sure it fits together as expected. I have to get a local shop to weld up a frame for me as welding is not my strong point

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:09 am

You are basically making a Jimmy jib - so just look up how they do things and get some ideas. For starters the base would better off triangulated - ie. a tripod or a quad-pod? If you are talking about locking the arm from going up and down, then use a disk with a clamping pad.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:35 pm

the feet would be triangular shaped like a tripod except flat,haven't done a top down drawing yet . i like the clamping pad idea thanks

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:15 pm

Yes. It's pretty much like a disk brake on a car... :)

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:52 am

BTW are you thinking of putting that mega size crane on the 8mm rails?

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:24 pm

lol no, been a bit of a design change since i posted that pic. after 5 months of preorder my bm p4k cinema camera turned up so there has been something of a shift in direction i do have some plans for them however

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:22 am

I got my mini-crane prefabricated in the form of a small robot arm I found on ebay. I swapped out the stepper motors for some longer ones that had more torque but fit the same NEMA bolt pattern which made that part real easy. I made a short dolly for it and a crate to protect the rig and let me transport it in one piece. The dolly is bolted to the bottom of the crate. There are bolt holes with threaded inserts in the bottom of the crate so it can be suspended upside down by some T-channel spanning between two tripods. That way there is a much larger volume of space that the camera can move around in.

The drivers weren't adjusted when this video was made and I've been too lazy to make another demo video of it since then.

Here is a link to a video of it. You can usually get little robot arms like this on ebay pretty cheap. You wouldn't even need to change the motors to lift a gopro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg4ZR3wpA9Q

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:34 pm

thats pretty cool thanks for the info

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:39 am