It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:22 am

Timelapse Video Archive 

Post Timelapse Video Archive
Running a beta online at http://tlabeta.eu/

So I've been looking at this for a while now and I've not really noticed anywhere central for timelapse videos.

Okay theres Youtube, Vimeo etc to upload to, but no where thats really an archive of these videos or a central hub of sorts. Something that holds the links to all sorts of timelapse videos hosted all over the web.

I was just thinking that if I was to build one and host it would any post their videos to it?

It will include the option to post using youtube urls, or vimeo urls so that all videos uploaded on major services can be added to the archive and played on the site without having to re-upload the videos.

Is this a good idea or has something been done like this before?

Sun May 26, 2013 2:05 am

Post Re: Timelapse Video Archive
I would certainly approve with a video platform only for timelapse productions. Of course, only if the final product will look appealing, contain high-quality content only etc. etc.

I have done a bunch of small and big, short and long term web projects of various types and my best advice is to think about it and plan this really well before starting anything.
This would be a big project and in order to do it right it's gonna be a sh*tload of work, so do it right or leave it. Also, I'd advice you to not do this alone, but have a small team (at least project management, design, development, security/it/architecture, marketing) working on it, especially if you don't do this as a daytime job. Also, if you wanna host videos yourself, it's gonna be huge amounts of data which is not cheap to host.

My two cents..

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Mon May 27, 2013 12:56 am

Hi There Fabian,

Luckily this is what I do for a living so the development and design are something I can manage with, but the marketing is where I would need help!
I currently run a few large servers in a brand new data centre built in Leeds, UK so the possibility of scaling up if required would be no problem either.

I have been playing with this idea for a while now and have a prototype up and running I've been testing out in all sorts of situations, I'm just working on the mobile side of things at the minute :) (nowadays everything has to be mobile!)
I will post the link when I have removed all the passwords I have on so I can get a public beta build out.

I would love to hear your input on the site as it gets built and anyone else on the timescapes forum as I believe this is the central hub on the internet for timelapse enthusiasts :)

Tue May 28, 2013 12:47 am

In this case, I'm absolutely looking forward to see the beta release! :-)

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Tue May 28, 2013 12:54 am

Also, as I am a php developer and not a graphic designer if there is anyone out there that can think of a good name and a logo I'd be more than happy!

Tue May 28, 2013 1:08 am

Running the beta now at http://tlabeta.eu/

Please report any problems via the contact form

:)

Tue May 28, 2013 1:01 pm

You want only problems there or also critique/feedback? :)

It seems like the site is not reachable very stably and it's loading a bit slow. Maybe it's my connection (which doesn't seem to have any issues apart from that right now though), maybe it's just because you're working on it.

I actually like the simple and modern style. It looks kinda WordPress standard etc. but has not been seen by any of the big video portals (as far as I know).

The "button" to scroll to top looks good and the effect of scrolling up is actually nice as well, though I'd prefer it to go up faster, so maybe a jump would be better than a scroll.

What are you planning to do with the Categories? So far it's just Timelapse.

I like that there seem to be plans to post Articles, though this has to be done regularly and, of course, the content must be relevant. Maybe get a bunch of timelapse photographers from in here to write occasional articles.

That's it for now from my side.. PS: thumbs up!

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Wed May 29, 2013 12:31 am

Quote:
It seems like the site is not reachable very stably and it's loading a bit slow. Maybe it's my connection (which doesn't seem to have any issues apart from that right now though), maybe it's just because you're working on it.

Its only hosted on a development server at the moment until the final release is ready and It will be put on a more stable server - if the functionality is fine I might switch it over later this afternoon so its on a more stable platform.

Quote:
I actually like the simple and modern style. It looks kinda WordPress standard etc. but has not been seen by any of the big video portals (as far as I know).

Built with twitters bootstrap. Got to love bootstrap!

Quote:
The "button" to scroll to top looks good and the effect of scrolling up is actually nice as well, though I'd prefer it to go up faster, so maybe a jump would be better than a scroll.

I'll boost the speed of that now :)

Quote:
What are you planning to do with the Categories? So far it's just Timelapse.

I would like it to separated into more specific categories. eg - Astro time lapse, buildings, landscapes, people, events, etc. I would like to get some user input as to what the categories would be - Im hoping some forum members could help out.

Quote:
I like that there seem to be plans to post Articles, though this has to be done regularly and, of course, the content must be relevant. Maybe get a bunch of timelapse photographers from in here to write occasional articles.

Again this is something I would like - guest authors posting from the forums, companies writing articles about development, an eye on kickstarter projects and DIY time lapse moco builds etc.

Quote:
That's it for now from my side.. PS: thumbs up!

Thank you for taking the time to look! :)

Wed May 29, 2013 1:54 am

Splendid - I'm looking forward to the release! :)

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Wed May 29, 2013 3:58 am