It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:57 am

Got distracted ! 

Post Got distracted !
Not done much motion control timelapse stuff recently . I do have the arm project but thought i would sort myself a 3d printer first . If you make machines to make machines it gets a lot easier . Must admit never impressed with the output of 3d printers prefer milled stuff any day . But i suppose it as its uses anyway have a CNC mill its not much more work to turn it into a printer .
So have started with the extruder and hot end . Really over engineered it as lot of the stuff out their is quite flimsy . This does as its advantages though my hot end can get to well over 300 c with out effecting the rest of the extruder , This means more exotic filaments can be used . Nylon been one which means it should be possible to make Igus type bearings .
Anyway thought i would share as nothing much happening in the place i usually lurk.
D1

[flickr]Image2014-09-07 11.44.47 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

[flickr]Image2014-09-07 11.48.50 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

[flickr]Image2014-09-07 11.49.10 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:14 am

Post Re: Got distracted !
Hi, D1,
Distracted but not off topic yet :D Looks an interesting project, useful for your model making ?
TL and Stop motion almost ground to a halt also, managed an hour or two when in the Lake District last week, had lens set to A-Focus, silly mistake :(

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:35 am

Received my kickstartered rigidbot a month or two back.
Just sold it.

3d printing takes way too much time and effort for me right now...

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:18 am

Hi Mike don't worry we all make mistakes . But yes my interest in timelapse is waning fast everything seems to have been done a thousand times now . Will still potter in my shed though and the arm may still happen . Can always use it as three dimensional CNC for poly carving :D . The 3d printer will also be handy for work but as Sctotch says they are slow and require a lot of testing to get them set up right . The rigidbot doesn't look to bad scotch but their are so many out their its hard to tell the difference between them . On a plus note only spent about £18 so far rest of the stuff was in the shed . Even used that little TB6560 single axis stepper driver think you got a couple of them Mike . They do work OK too !
D1

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:58 am

Hi, D1, I found those TB6560 quite useful. As soon as the winter weather drives me inside and closer to the wood burner ;) I will look at a couple of stop motion projects I have in mind until then the garden and ongoing general maintainance will take priority.
Off topic, heaven forbid :D I see the Clangers are back early next year so I expect to see not only the Soup Dragon but also may examples of you handiwork on screen.

Also off topic: https://www.apertus.org/ I wonder how much under $10K. Like the high speed aspect.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:08 am

Hi Mike agree far to nice not to be enjoying the great outdoors. Yes pleasantly surprised with those drivers, going by stuff on the interweb their almost unusable .

So don't believe everything on the interweb :D
Yes Clangers went well and it looks really nice . All the moves you will see are done on my rigs but their aren't that many . Time restrictions and all .
I will prob return to the shed soon like you it will be more animation and prob macro timelapse with moves . I like that and theirs not a huge amount of it out their.
Slow mo would be nice to get into and i do keep looking for a affordable camera with decent specs . Nothing out their yet but i am sure their will be soon .
Quick update on printer well it is the off topic section ! Got extruder mounted to mill just got to connect everything up and then the fun bit starts

D1

[flickr]Image2014-09-09 17.35.58 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

[flickr]Image2014-09-09 17.30.50 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:23 am

Well everybody does a Yoda ! First tests 20mm cube and said Yoda . Actually very fine layer resolution 0.05 but you still get the lines . Most cheaper printers print at .2 layer height . So not bad but still prefer to machine stuff or sculpt when i can .
D1

[flickr]Image2014-09-15 15.38.47 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:04 am

Well regardless of finish you must be pleased with getting your set-up to work ok. I guess knowing what the finish / accuracy is will help decide what will be an acceptable printable item.
To spur you on with the arm and maybe a high speed camera ;) :-

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 am

Hi Mike nice find its a Mark Roberts isn't it .If i ever get the arm going don't think it will be doing things fast :D . The logical thing with the arm would be to buy a scrap industrial robot . They do come up at reasonable prices its just my metal working gear is just not up to that heavy type of stuff .
I have collected a few bits and done some testing so its not dead yet and i am never in that much of a rush .
Yes the 3d printer will have its uses but i don't think its the answer to everything as some people seem to think .Plus it was more or less free :D
D1

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:40 am

Prob last post on this one . Think solved all my little issues just need to tidy everything up . Spent a bit more money but not a great deal. £9 to be exact on a PID temp controller they are great and god bless China as i have said before don't be scared of buying direct it saves a lot and you don't normally pay tax .
The PID is foreground pic 1 it controls the temp of the hot end to a couple of degrees giving you a better print consistency .
Quite happy with the print quality now although it does take ages at the resolution i am printing . We are talking days here for larger items !
D1
[flickr]Image2014-09-22 17.06.24 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

[flickr]Image2014-09-24 17.41.47 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:26 am

The temerature controller is doing a good job, this one has stayed white ;) Looks to be a much smoother finish to your latest model.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:43 am

Wow, great job. I wish I was into this stuff!

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi Mike yes the temp control makes a lot of difference to quality . Theirs so many variables in 3d printing you can spend days tweaking stuff . Think even color of filament can make a difference hence my new choice of white . Its one of the cheaper ones out their apparently the quality of filament makes a huge difference to .
But got it working good enough for my needs so just going to brush up on Blender again and start printing stuff . Blender not perfect but my brain cant take to many programs these days .
Hi scotch 3d printing is hugely time consuming you prob best swerving this one unless you like sitting in sheds for hours . Which unfortunately i do :D
D1

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:42 am