It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 CAD, CAM, CNC etc. 

Post Re: CAD, CAM, CNC etc.
Have you seen the price of some cutting tools in the Cutwel catalog ? We are talking thousands of pounds ! That would be a bad day when one of those gets broke .
D1

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:45 am

Mike,
Fortunately there was no permanent damage, the present structure is not very rigid so the plastic wheels sprung off the track without actually deforming anything.

The next version Z-axis will be more rigid, although some parts will be MDF, and the v-wheels will be upgraded to steel. With luck that one will be butch enough to accurately mill Aluminium which means the third iteration can have a swanky, made-to-measure, cast metal carriage.

Kit

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Kitwn wrote:
Mike,
Fortunately there was no permanent damage, the present structure is not very rigid so the plastic wheels sprung off the track without actually deforming anything.

The next version Z-axis will be more rigid, although some parts will be MDF, and the v-wheels will be upgraded to steel. With luck that one will be butch enough to accurately mill Aluminium which means the third iteration can have a swanky, made-to-measure, cast metal carriage.

Kit

Good to hear no permanent damage Kit. If you scroll down this page there is an interesting head layout http://www.carbide3d.com/ not sure about stepper motor drive but slide arrangement looks quite good and could be scaled to suit purpose.
D1, some of those Cutwel tools also need a machine to hold them, a few more grand, Burkhardt and Weber maybe.

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:46 am

Hi Mike think ya right about the stepper motor spindle if it ever got fast enough it just wouldn't have the torque. May build myself a 4ft x 4ft CNC router just for timber one day but well down the list .
Hi Kit i assume you have seen the lost foam casting method for aluminum.

You could machine some very nice foam bits with the router you have then cast them. Their would be hardly any stress on the router so dont think you would suffer any major incidents . Dont know how precise the finished items would be but may be good enough to get ya to next stage though .
You will find when machining aluminum any flex in your CNC will result in chater. Bit bouncing about it happens on all small mills they just not rigid enough. Mine suffers from it to some degree Mikes may be better but you need something like a Bridgeport to get a really good finish . Thats not going to happen in my shed but me mates got one if i ever need to do bigger stuff . But managed ok so far shows if ya work within the restrictions of the machines ya have you can produce some decent stuff .
I also find my 12inch disc http://www.screwfix.com/p/record-power- ... AsSG8P8HAQ sander is great for cleaning aluminum up. Combination of ali casting and disc sander work may produce some decent parts . You can quite easily produce true right angles and flat surfaces etc . Ya never know you may be able to find i cheap disc sander on E bay
D1

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:28 am

Mike,
That's an interesting link. The head looks nice and simple but rigid with it. I'm guessing at 20mm shafting and 8mm Acme lead screws. The spindle motor looks like a stepper but the blurb says its a 'high-power brushless DC motor'.
As an aside, I looked at how easy it is to cut hardened steel rod, should I decide to go down this route later on. Forget saw blades with teeth, but a modern, thin, steel cutting angle grinder disc is fine apparently ( see link below). It's way cheaper to buy a single, longer length of rod and cut it yourself than to buy several pieces at 600mm, 150mm etc.

This link shows just how easy it is to cut hardened steel at home. Apologies to our American readers who may not recognise the commentary as English...

D1,
I've read up a bit on lost foam casting, it looks an excellent solution for all sorts of castings. Modern Aluminium engine blocks are made this way and it's way easier to set up for than traditional green sand casting.
Most people doing small amounts of casting don't bother with the swanky throat tool thingy shown in the video. A tin can with both ends cut out works fine. A good trick to open up the sprue is to stick a hot bit of metal down there instead of a drill. As with all casting, you need a good head of liquid metal to create the pressure needed to fill the mould.

My key problem with casting at the moment is the bushfire risk. Outdoor fires will remain completely banned for several months yet so I can't light the furnace. However I do plan to do exactly as you suggest once winter comes around in June.

Thanks for the heads-up on chatter when cutting Ally. I'll know not to bang my head against a brick wall trying to get rid of it on the kind of machine I'm building. We'll just have to get the DIY CO2 laser cranked up to a few killowatts :D

Kit

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:56 am

Hi Kit i remember you saying about the embargo on fires . We dont have that problem here its wet and miserable most of the time . In fact to wet to be venturing outside messing about with propane . Summer project for me but in meantime started planing out a new general purpose control box .
[flickr]ImageLAYOUT EXPLODED by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
[flickr]ImageLAYOUT EXPLODED 2 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
Its good just grabbing ready made parts and putting them together.But could do with slightly altering the size of the drivers . As anybody managed to re scale components in DS. Its the only thing i find i am unable to do . Must be possible surly ?
D1

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:01 pm

D1,

That's a neat looking control box. I should make something similar to keep the dust off my drivers. Winter for me is Summer for you so we can can compare smelting notes come July!

I'm in the middle of moving furniture and computers into our 'arts studio' (swankily appointed shed) and out of the 'office' (smallest bedroom). The plan is to make the bedroom into a dedicated animation studio which will make it much easier for me to actually produce some results.

On the subject of results: What paints/primer do you recommend for use on 2 part polyurethane plastic, or do I have to put pigment into the plastic itself? I'm slip-casting emu heads for a non-film project.

Kit

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:39 pm

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:
Its good just grabbing ready made parts and putting them together.But could do with slightly altering the size of the drivers . As anybody managed to re scale components in DS. Its the only thing i find i am unable to do . Must be possible surly ?
D1

Hi, D1, still not produced a sketch yet but scaling is carried out in the PULL mode, sixth option - cube with axes lines.
Click the cube.
Click a point on the object, I used a corner.
Select the object, Cntr A
Hold down left mouse button and drag towards or away from the object. A scaling factor is shown as you drag.

Took a couple of goes to get it right but managed to resize an object ok.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:19 am

Hi Kit i should hopefully be up and running on the smelting front before July . Just waiting for longer warmer days as it will all be done outside . Dont want to risk burning down my arts studio ;)
On subject of painting fast cast as i call it i just tend to use grey or white primmer (car type) What is more problematic sometimes is the type of polyurethane you are using . It does vary and some can leach a oily substance causing painting problems . It can be trial and error but i do buy a type that is specifically for painting
http://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyurethane-cast ... g2000.html . Giving it a wipe with a bit of acetone wouldn't hurt to .
Hi Mike thanks for that will give it a go searched Google and couldn't find anything. But assumed it would be possible you are a better searcher than me cheers .
D1

Hi Mike found out what my problem is i have been trying to re scale downloaded components which appear to be locked and i cant disable this . Makes sense i suppose still i now know how to re scale my own objects ta :D

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:12 am

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:

Hi Mike found out what my problem is i have been trying to re scale downloaded components which appear to be locked and i cant disable this . Makes sense i suppose still i now know how to re scale my own objects ta :D

Hi, I downloaded a fan:
Components > HVAC, Fans & Thermal Management > Fans > Axial Fans 2943735aring axial fan,80mm 24V 2.4W
and used that to try the re-scale.
found it by clicking "Download 3D models" button. I saved the zip file to my PC as I could not import directly to project, needed to use MS browser to do that and I do not like using it ;)
What did you try? if you give me details of one I will try and see if I can get it to scale.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:48 am

Hi Mike sounds same process as mine . I have a feeling some of models i downloaded are non editable step files . I need to do more testing but got to nip out for a bit will give it more time this evening .
Cheers D1

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:58 am

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:
Hi Mike sounds same process as mine . I have a feeling some of models i downloaded are non editable step files . I need to do more testing but got to nip out for a bit will give it more time this evening .
Cheers D1

Hi, D1, did a little more digging, greenhouse this morning, STEP files during my tea break ;) They are read only when imported to the free DesignSpark software. Good news you can get an add on to allow editing and it is next day delivered free :D Bad news it is £530 :( . An alternative might be to get a freeware file converter and change to a file type that can be edited in DS.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:36 am

Their always a bit of bad news that come with good news ! I think i can live with the step file limitation its good for getting a quick layout and most of the items are correct RS actually so can just order them . The frustration was more i couldn't work out the scale thing but thats ok now :D
D1
Ps loading a step file into blender and re exporting may work . Blender quite good as a file converter

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:26 am

You might try OnShape for viewing/converting STEP files. It's free.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:28 pm

Big Big timing pulleys :D

[flickr]Image2016-01-21 17.14.32 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]

Hi Simon so many CAD programs out their these days . Think its a case of just use what ya happy with.
Hi Mike if ya out their soz i haven't replayed to you post on the arm mega thread was hoping that thread would slip into the unknown in the not to distant future .
D1

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:19 am

Hi, D1, thought I would bring your post to the top of the pile - lol.

Impressive looking pulleys, for the Tech arm ?? what sort of ratio are you aiming for?

Still working on my vice and slew bearing, other things like tree pruning and workshop cleaning keep getting in the way.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:23 am

MikeA wrote:
Hi, D1, thought I would bring your post to the top of the pile - lol.

Well hopefully it will work its way onto page two soon !
BigBig pulleys for my model mover but yes if i ever get tech crane going i will try some of these for boom . Used lead screw on last one would be nice to try different way .Each as its own advantages.
Post some pics of the vice when ya done my old vice is do for replacement soon . Well jaws any ways shame i cant just buy those :(
D1

Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:12 am

Awesomely impressive big gears Assume they were done on CNC router? Very beautiful in the transparent material.

Doesn't the vise have two countersunk screws on the faces? Usually you can cut new metal to replace them.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:17 am

Nearly right CNC laser cutter thats why the edges are polished/flamed . Just cut out front panel for control box it would have been nice to use a black acrylic but the clear stuffs free :D . Will paint it when its all done .
[flickr]Image2016-01-23 17.55.48 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
[flickr]Image2016-01-23 17.53.46 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
Yep faces have to bolts in a perfect world you would think you could by replacement jaws . We are far from a perfect world and the vice was only cheap more expensive models do offer replacements. Unfortunately i could prob buy a new vice for cost of jaws :(
D1

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:36 am

D1,
That looks soooo good. I have got to build me a laser! And an induction furnace to allow Aluminium casting during fire bans, an upgrade to my PWM LED studio lights, the first upgrade of my CNC router, a new magnetic animation stage for Pipsqueak Studios, a new pan/tilt head with focus motor, some lighter armature parts than the Armacreatures ones I bought as a test and...and...

On reflection, maybe I'll just save up my pocket money and buy one of those cheapo Chinese lasers, they're down to $299 AUD inc postage now. I couldn't build anything for less than that, though the kudos of building your own laser from scratch has great appeal. I'd like to make a 'The Bear and the Hare' style animation and a laser looks like the only sane way to cut out the pieces ( video at https://vimeo.com/78740926 Making of at https://vimeo.com/78254514 ).

On a slightly less manic note, how easily did your laser cut out that front panel? Any issues with cutting such thick material?

Kit

Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi Kit i think i have the same problem as you . Got so many little projects on the go not really getting any of them finished :(
So your post on http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/ about set tops . Traditionally we always used perforated steel set tops and magnets (wind in the willows to bob the builder etc ) Their now seems a move to tie downs or just a rig . Its a lot easier to remove supporting rigs digitally these days. It also means you can do more acrobatic animation :D . Dont tend to comment on http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/ they do tend to go on about stuff !
As for laser you will prob find it will struggle to cut thick acrylic in its original form . But that been said you can always bung a bigger laser in when you feel the need . Thats what i did it was a bit bigger :D
[flickr]Image2015-12-11 17.25.04 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
So no issues cutting 5mm just ordered a new lens with a longer focal point so should be better at cutting thicker material hope to get up to 10mm ish
D1

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:28 am

[flickr]Image2016-01-25 18.11.30 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
Almost a shame to paint it but i will . As you can prob tell not to busy on the work front at mo .
Still its given me time to play with laser cutter.Think its been well worth the time and money i have spent on it . Just gotta find a proper job for it now :D .
[flickr]ImageENCLOSEURE EXTERNAL PANNELS by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
This is DS model before been loaded into CAM BAM . What ya build is what ya get and quite a bit of smelly smoke which i am sure cant be good for you :( .
D1

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:04 am

A stylish looking project, did you download the hardware from Traceparts and incorporate them into the design.
Another good endorsement for CamBam software, thanks for the recommendation a while ago, well worth the money.
Is that an extraction duct in the background?

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:05 am

Hi Mike the actual encloser was built from scratch but a lot of the components where downloaded from trace parts or grabcad . Will be putting a RS order in shortly for those parts from their catalog.
Glad ya like Cam Bam it is well worth the money think the reason i like it is its not over complicated . Its very logical in its approach ok no swish animated cutting paths but not sure how useful that is anyways. Plus couldn't have driven the laser cutter without CAM BAM special laser cutter post processor kindly provided by another user
Yeah extraction not very good though have developed the habit of doing a bit of pottering in the garden when the laser cutter is running :D
D1

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:28 am

Jaws were closed and machined in situ so that all should be square / parallel to the mill base. Next will be to disassemble the parts and de-burr as required and polish the surfaces maybe. Fixed jaws can be repositioned and dowel pins placed in outer holes for security if needed. Moveable jaw clamps to base to prevent lift as it is tightened. I kept the movement as short as possible to aid in reducing lift.

Next vice will consist two jaws with 14.5, 9.5 and 5.5 mm steps that bolt to the mill table and two plates that clamp down on top of jaws.

Attachments:
ViceAssy01.jpg
ViceAssy01.jpg [ 44.46 KiB | Viewed 6770 times ]
Vice_Base_Top.jpg
Vice_Base_Top.jpg [ 45.66 KiB | Viewed 6770 times ]

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:08 am

Hi Mike nice bit of machining quite a lump of aluminum . Like how you machined jaws in situ so they would be square . Will have a go at machining some new ali ones for my vice cant see the need for hardened steel ones . They keep breaking me bits ! :(
D1

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:37 am

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:
Hi Mike nice bit of machining quite a lump of aluminium . Like how you machined jaws in situ so they would be square . Will have a go at machining some new ali ones for my vice cant see the need for hardened steel ones . They keep breaking me bits ! :(
D1[/quotem]
Main components:
1off 150m x 100 x 15mm, 3off 30mm x 30mm x 100mm bar stock. Plenty of machining and quite a bit of garden time.
I will use 2off 100mm pieces of 13mm wide hacksaw blade with teeth ground off to create hard jaw lining if required.

Quote:
Next vice will consist two jaws with 14.5, 9.5 and 5.5 mm steps that bolt to the mill table and two plates that clamp down on top of jaws.

Above will hold 15, 10 and 6mm bar stock. May incorporate MDF base to screw any cut outs to prior to machining.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:05 am

Hi Mike look forward to seeing the slew bearing i assume vice was a necessary first item. Less and less people are making things on the forum these days which is a shame . I always have a look at Doug's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/motioncontrolcamerasystems. Seems like he had a little issue with those Leadshine DM432C drivers think he solved it now wonder if anybody else as had issues .I have five of them so far which i have been fitting to my case . Decided to make a internal chassis to make the wiring easier :D .
[flickr] Image2016-01-31 17.49.32 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
[flickr]Image2016-01-31 18.48.09 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
[flickr]Image2016-01-31 18.52.28 by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
D1

Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:25 pm

Looking Sweet D1 !

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:00 pm

Oh my DMAN, that is a beautiful controller you are building there. A laser cutter! You do have some marvellous toys.

https://vimeo.com/channels/motioncontrolcamera
https://www.youtube.com/c/MotionControlCameraSystems

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:55 pm

amongstmyselves wrote:
Looking Sweet D1 !

Cheers hows your rig going ? You not posted much on that recently

Hey Doug yes i do keep collecting my toys . My big wish now is a aluminum welder http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/tig-weld ... ArKL8P8HAQ Dont think anybody will be throwing one of those away so will have to start saving my pennies :(
D1

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:05 am

That laser cutter must be faster than my cnc router. I've got one of the Chinese 3040 routers which has done a good job but luckily I was able to do a few mods to make it work better. I mostly do printed circuit boards and front panels with the router but I've started getting into making small cases for music based projects as well. The front panel for the hand controller is routed as is it's pcb.

My rig is essentially finished and being used for my short film project. I've spend a week doing a site recce and another week shooting. Had to deal with rain and boggy station tracks which reduced days. Here's a few pics of the rig in situ.

ImageRear view of UM12 at Woolyana Ruin by Steve R Roberts, on Flickr

ImageSide View of UM12 at Woolyana Ruin by Steve R Roberts, on Flickr

ImageUM12 Mocon at Woolyana Ruin by Steve R Roberts, on Flickr

ImageUM12 Hand Controller by Steve R Roberts, on Flickr

Just a recap. The unit has all five controllers within the dolly for track, pan, tilt, focus and zoom. The micro is a ChipKit Mega32. The unit is wireless using Xbee for communications between the dolly and the hand controller. Runs off a 24vdc power supply which is a step up converted pair of 12v SLAs. Yes that is a ladder as the base for the track. My accurate mechanical abilities are limited as are my programming skills but it does work quite well which is great achievement for me.

There are a few simple improvements I could make and also a few more complex ones but I need to use this thing more before I can justify the mods.

Steve

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Steve,
I think you'll find more than one devotee of using ladders as the basis for dolly tracks amongst your audience on this site. That looks like a very solid rig which might just cope with the sort of winds I suspect you get in such an exposed location.

Kit

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:25 pm

It does have a little bit of twist in it but for my purposes at the moment it certainly does the job.

I'd imagine you've had some nasty winds in the last few days ?

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Steve,
It's normal to pull lengths timber out of the racks in hardware stores looking for the straight bits, but I'm not sure how the staff would take to people doing the same with all their ladders!

Cyclone Stan was too far East of us to make much difference, but it has been quite blowy for a few days. I'd hoped for a bit of rain but all we got were some clouds and a bit of very unimpressive drizzle.

Kit

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:44 pm

thats an excellent old house for a time lapse lots of character i'm envious lol . i have been looking for something similar locally
btw the rig looks good too :-)

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:20 am

Well thats been a frustrating week me laptop went down failed hard drive apparently :(
So not been able to do much as me shed puters are very basic . Still i am back now and all seems well .
Like you rig Steve wish i could do a bit of programming but cant .Look forward to see the results of all your hard work . Think i have just become a rig builder rather than user and yes Kit i do go through all the ladders in B&Q . Some have very bad dinks its best to spend ten mins having a good sort through.
D1

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:44 am

It would be nice if it were a little closer to home though Chardie. It's up in the Flinders Ranges which is a good 3 to 4 hours drive especially when I'm loaded with all my gear. There's also a homestead which was abandoned in the late 80's which is nearby. This is also part of the film I'm working on. I hope to get back up there in April once I work out what I what shots I want and what the moon and stars are doing.

D1. I am not sure what is worse being master of one thing or apprentice of many. Somedays I wish I was master of something :-)

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Steve,
I've always envied those people who have one real passion they pursue without distraction. Whether it's music, painting, sculpture, photography, dance, computer programming, making model steam engines or any one of a million things.

I've always been best at dissipating my resources of time, money and ability over too wide a range of things, none of which are ever done properly. At least this animation lark acts as a focus for everything. I can justify building a CNC router and playing about with molten aluminium on the basis that both will help me make parts for the camera moco rig and puppets, scenery etc. in between sculpting in plasticine and playing about with Arduino controlled LED lights for the stage. Obviously I also need to continuously upgrade my bespoke sound/video editing computer and... and...

I am actually storyboarding a short film for a local competition at present so it might just lead to another actual film this year as well!

Kit

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Same here. I use the CNC router to build parts for music and timelapse related gadgets. Sometimes I wish I was talented enough to focus on music.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next