It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:07 am

Am I being paranoid? 

Post Am I being paranoid?
Sometime back on youtube, I discovered two messages in the spam box. I didn't even realise there was a spam box in youtube until I discovered it by accident (you can blame youtube's silly facelift for that.) One message was from a woman from a BBC childrens show "Blow Your Mind" wanting to use one of my videos for the show. The other message was from a woman wanting to use another video of mine for a US childrens TV show. At first, I was a bit suspicious. Just seems to be too much of a coincidence - two individuals asking for use of my footage in kids shows (in different countries) and both messages appeared within about a month of each other. There is so much spam, scams and con artists on the internet - it certainly pays to be cautious. I looked up the titles of the respective shows on Google and both seemed to be legit. Plus the BBC woman gave me her phone number in the message.

I was too late for the BBC one anyway....the message was about a month old when I discovered youtube's spam box for the first time. I started exchanging e-mail messages with the woman from the US childrens show. She also gave me her phone number. She was very keen on using my video of an ant carrying a beetle for her show. Supposedly, she sent me a form for me to sign (regarding rights to use the footage) but I couldn't open the file. I asked her how much she would offer to pay me for use of the footage. She responded by saying she would offer me $100 which is insanely low for TV show usage. Oh well better than nothing I suppose. She then mentioned about sending me a new (revised) form to sign. Then later she sends me a message saying that she's found someone else's footage that she can use for free (in place of mine.) No need for my footage anymore - basically tough luck. That was close to two months ago.

And now, just out of the blue, I receive another message in my youtube spam box. It's another message from the very same US show but this time from another individual - this time from a man, it seems. This guy explains to me the basic concept of the show and says he's interested in using one of my videos and it is exactly the same video that the woman (also from the same show) requested - the video of an ant carrying a beetle. Furthermore, the way the message is written, it's like this guy has no knowledge that the woman from the same show had also approached me about the using my ant / beetle video and also no knowledge of her changing her mind about it too. The decision was already made not to use the footage so that should be that. This is sounding more than a bit suss and I am getting suspicious once again. You reckon this is all some con or something?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:29 am

Post Re: Am I being paranoid?
Con for what?

Probably got two people working on the same thing with no communication.
See if you can sell your clip :)

Rates are low nowadays, just look at what people can get for free or from the stock footage sites.
Lots of productions have no budget now too and if they don't have enough money to care about quality they won't.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:12 am

scotchtape wrote:
Con for what?

Sounds about right from my experience
D1

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:06 pm

scotchtape wrote:
Con for what?

Hard to say exactly. Alternatively, it could be all kinds of unpleasant things. That woman from the US show supposedly sent me a form to sign with regards to rights usage but I could not open the file with my pc. I mentioned this to a relative and she said there was the possibility that the file could have been a virus and was blocked by my anti-virus software. Also, someone else on this forum mentioned there are people posing as representatives from legitimate companies who lure filmmakers in giving away their footage to them (and sometimes their rights to the footage too, I suspect.)

scotchtape wrote:
Con for what?

See if you can sell your clip :)[/quote]

I do realise I might sound paranoid but there are a lot of shadey people online who take advantage of wannabe artists - giving them false promises of exposure, publishing their works etc. Actually, I was the victim of an online poetry scam a few years ago so that experience has made me extra wary these days. Though on the other hand, sure they could be genuine as you say. However, if I request payment once again, pretty much the same thing will happen again I bet - they'll grab some free footage in place of mine. Actually, that woman had already sourced some free footage to use in the segment so looks like the decision has already been made - by someone.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:56 pm

If you get this worked up about your T-L clips, take them down from the site or a polite thank you, no thank you to any requests. Peace and Harmony restored ;)

I have had a few "BBC scouts" and music groups after various clips, they get the same treatment. "Let me know how much you are willing to deposit in my bank account"............ end of emails usually :D

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:09 am

I always get a laugh in my business that I will get a call from one agency then a few days later another for the same thing....first one bids to high and it just goes down the line....down.. and down..

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:45 pm

There's been another development. Recently, I received a private message from another individual from the same US tv show. In other words, a third person from the show. Though this guy knows that I have been in contact with the first person (the woman whom I asked payment for use of my footage.) He's saying that he's putting together the credits for the show and wants to know my surname and for me to confirm my first name so that he has those details correct. And he's thanking me for contributing to the show and making it so great. Though the thing is - I never gave them permission to use my footage. I never signed any release relating to rights usage. And I never sent them a copy of my footage. I'm sort of given the impression that they're going to rip a copy off my youtube channel and edit it into their show, whether I like it or not. They didn't say that but it sounds like that could happen.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:25 pm

So did you tell him no agreement had been reached to use the footage or give all the details asked for and if you did where does that leave you now?

More helpful note, here is an article that may interest you: http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=65bccc73-a7a8-4bbf-abd7-f5e1f0deef6b&utm_source=Lexology+Daily+Newsfeed&utm_medium=HTML+email+-+Body+-+General+section&utm_campaign=SCL+subscriber+daily+feed&utm_content=Lexology+Daily+Newsfeed+2015-10-29&utm_term=

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:11 am

It sounds like everything uploaded for public consumption needs a copyright watermark across the middle so broadcasters have no choice but contact the author for a usable copy.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:08 pm

MikeA wrote:
So did you tell him no agreement had been reached to use the footage or give all the details asked for and if you did where does that leave you now?

I basically told him to pay up. Seeing as they're so desperate for this footage, the least they can do is send some money my way. And I won't be giving them my surname until I get that money. I haven't heard a reply since.

If they do end up using my footage without my permission, I wish I could pursue them legally. But as this is an overseas case, I know my chances of victory are pretty slim.

I heard someone on another forum mention that in the US, people can use other peoples' works without their permission for educational use. Though I assume that would be in relation to learning materials inside a classroom. Surely, this wouldn't apply to broadcast television?

Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:02 pm

Whats the YouTube link i am curious to see the footage .
D1

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:46 am

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:
Whats the YouTube link i am curious to see the footage .
D1

Don't expect great quality. It's standard definition MiniDv footage in 4:3 aspect ratio. As such, I'm puzzled why these guys seem so desperate to want to use it for their show. But any mention of payment from me scares them away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7DVe9pXBFc

Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:22 pm

A nice Adelaide Inch ant. Boy do they hurt when you get bitten. Ask my wife.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:25 pm

amongstmyselves wrote:
A nice Adelaide Inch ant. Boy do they hurt when you get bitten. Ask my wife.

Oh yep, they sure do. Nasty little critters indeed - with the ability to both bite and sting. Ive been stung twice by them (right after I was filming their nest with an endoscope camera.)

Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:21 am

They certainly flood out of their nests when disturbed.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:34 pm

your right they have the most painful bite or sting. everyone round here calls them inch longs no idea what else their called. i tried to timelapse them with a dead mouse once damn mapgpie swooped down and stole the mouse :roll:

Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:28 am

If it is a legit production then the producers must obtain copyright clearances for all images/audio used in the show.
Failure to do so can result in legal ramifications and problems for the producer.
Figure out the holding company of that media group and send their legal department a letter of demand for payment.
Sometimes it is worth the hassle if the license fee is significant.

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:56 pm

I still haven't heard any reply from this guy (the third person from the show who talked about adding me to the credits.) From the sounds of it, it seemed like he was going to use my footage regardless. Though the thing is - I don't really have any hard evidence that my footage has appeared in the show. It's not broadcast in Australia so no chance of seeing it here on television. Ive checked youtube and there are some very short excerpts from the show there but not whole episodes.

Unfortunately, when I initially discussed payment, I asked them to make me an offer and they came back with an insanely low figure - 100 bucks. When the third individual from the show contacted me about my footage, I raised the price a little. If I do manage to get any compensation from them, am I only allowed the meager amount that was discussed?

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:30 am