It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:31 am

Motorized Green Machine and Tricycle 

Post Motorized Green Machine and Tricycle
Since everyone seems to have lost interest in timelapse and we're still adding features to our realtime MOCO, I have time to make some more toys for the nephews. The boy is having fun with his grappeling gun I made for Christmas, but this video is about the toy tricycle and green machine. There is another video of the grappeling gun on the youtube channel for Sciencelookers if you are interested.

Both toy vehicles were made by using 3-D printed parts to adapt drive components from non-compatible electric vehicles to the new frames.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:12 am

Post Re: Motorized Green Machine and Tricycle
that looks like fun maybe you should try crowdfunding lol.
be interesting to see how the 3d fabricated bits hold up to real world use

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:29 pm

They seem to be enjoying the fruits of your labour :D

Edit: ......and you ;)

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:48 am

Thanks for the kind comments. Nobody has been seriously hurt and they are a lot of fun. I had concerns about the 3-D printed parts as well. I have made a lot of stuff out of ABS and its pretty strong if you print solid parts instead of hollow ones. The wheels are attached to the axle with thin bolts which shear if you give it full throttle from a standing start. What amazed me is these steel bolts are sheared in half by a scissors made of ABS plastic on one side and aluminum on the other. Both machines are at the grandparents house which is halfway between my house and where the kids live. Next visit, I plan to drill out larger holes for bigger bolts and hope the axle is still strong enough.

The motor on the tricycle was scavenged from an electric scooter a neighbor threw in the trash. It was supposed to power a cart for hauling infrared lights and batteries along the beach when filming people rescuing baby sea turtles disoriented by city lights. Sony made the cart obsolete before it was built by introducing a camera that could film by moonlight without the infrared lights. So there was a set of batteries and motor just looking for a project.

I'm thinking about starting a youtube channel and filming crazy builds like these things and the grappeling gun to put on there. Most of my youtube time is spent looking at other people's crazy builds and tutorials about how to use tools or make stuff. If enough other people do the same, it could be a new career for me. Not so many people are buying timelapse gear and our realtime app based system is still a few weeks away, so I'm wasting time getting the boat ready for Summer and making crazy things anyway. Hopefully I will still have a job making motion control stuff once we offer the realtime system for sale.

I now have a superhero identity, "The Sloth", an animal that climbs trees and is known to move very slowly. Our team includes Magnet boy, Zipline boy, the girl is the Pinata because she likes hanging out in her climbing harness halfway up a tree, their dad is the Zipper, grampa is the Iceman because he is always feeling cold, and grandma is Queenie. Look for our adventures in local police reports.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:42 am