It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:26 am

diy steadicam 

Post diy steadicam
started work on a diy steadicam loosely based on a italian guy named rulof. liked his ideas. got most of the bits using carbon fibre tube for the shaft had trouble getting alloy tube clamps in the same diameter as the tube. thought i had it sorted but then when i went to buy 10 minutes later not available. how does that work ? ended up finding and ordering of aliexpress not used them before fingers crossed.

Sun May 15, 2016 12:53 am

Post Re: diy steadicam
a lazy susan bearing turned up during the week i have plans to mount the gopro in the middle

i am guessing that if i remove the grub screw at the bottom of the lazy susan a couple of hundred ball bearings will fall out if i tip it up the right way ? as i want to disassemble it and their seems to be no other options

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:52 pm

upon reading the manufacturers notes i can just drill through where there are predrilled holes and bolt through there. no disassembly required :oops:

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:23 pm

Nice design for the roll axis. Displacement1 uses a slightly larger version for DSLRs. Some of the Mark Roberts rigs also use a large bearing this way. I am in the process os stealing the design myself. I haven't drilled into my lazy susan bearing yet, but the plan was the same. Drill where the white plastic things are, and hope I don't accidentally ruin the bearing.

I ruin a lot of stuff experimenting, but I don't mind because I learn things.

How were you planning to drive the ring? I am going to get a big timing pulley made on a waterjet machine so the gear can be the same size as the lazy susan bearing. I'd be very interested if you have a different plan for rotating the bearing.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:34 am

hmm i thought i was coping donnym didn't realize the were a couple of types out there already. probably could have gone a size smaller with the bearing however i thinking i might want to get my fingers in and around the camera at times but i did want it small and practical
making a gt2 belt and pulley. most likely hare a nema 17 for the rotation maybe 14 depends. gear the same size as the bearing out of corian. first i'm working on getting the camera lens mounted to be in the center of the bearing. thats this weeks job not sure how to do the gear yet some type of jig to hold the corian while i dremel a cut across it i think. that make take a couple of goes :oops:
those plastic lugs just pull out with a pair of pliars and a bit of a twist mine did anyway. been meaning to draw it up in cad here at work so i have some sort of system to adhere too but but im a little behind on that.
the bearing does have a couple of spots where it binds a little but i been playing with it and it slowly loosening up

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:15 am