It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:32 am

Yongnuo flash system not working with my Panasonic cameras 

Post Yongnuo flash system not working with my Panasonic cameras
I bought a Yongnuo 560III speedlight and a 560TX via eBay some time ago and I cannot get them to work with my Panasonic G series M4/3 cameras. I have managed to bind the speedlight with the TX so that they can both communicate with each other. Interestingly, when I insert the TX into my camera's hotshoe, it doesn't slide in all the way. Does stick out a bit at the back. There are four pins on the TX and it looks like they might be preventing the TX from sliding any further. However, the speedlight can be slid all the way into the hotshoe. Regardless if I have the speedlight or the TX mounted on the hotshoe, I cannot fire the speedlight's flash when I press the camera's shutter button. Ive played around with the G6's flash menu settings (like turning 'wireless flash' to 'on') but this doesn't make any difference.

There's another strange thing I noticed and it relates to disappearing menu items on the G6 camera's lcd screen. When the attached speedlight is turned off, I can gain access to flash options in the G6's menu like wireless flash and group numbers etc. As soon as I turn the speedlight on, the camera menu disappears. When I turn the menu back on, those additional flash options cannot be accessed. I'm only left with very limited flash settings like flash exposure compensation, choice of first or second curtain etc (with the speedlight turned on.) I turned the speedlight off and on repeatedly and it doesn't appear to be a coincidence – it does affect the camera's menu (particularly the flash options.)

With the speedlight turned off, I made sure that the group number in the G6's menu matched the speedlight's allocated group number – Group 1. I then turned the speedlight back on and the camera menu and the additional options disappeared as expected. Regardless, I pressed the camera's shutter button but the flash did not fire. The G6's manual states that the external flash must be set to RC mode. Though seeing as the speedlight and TX can communicate with each other, surely this would be the equivalent of RC mode?

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:32 am

Post Re: Yongnuo flash system not working with my Panasonic camer
Okay, Ive just had some success but I'm still not there all the way. There's a button on the speedlight you press to change modes – options are S1, S2, slave flash mode and RX slave flash mode. I just assumed that it was already in RX slave mode since I had already binded both Yongnuo units together some time back. I went through the modes again by pressing the same button – it's a pity that it's nearly impossible to tell what mode you're in most of the time since the text and icons on the lcd screen are so tiny. Only S1 and S2 are readable. I came across a mode where some tiny little icons and unreadable text appear on the far left of the lcd screen. The speedlight was attached to the G6 at this time. I pressed the camera's shutter button and the speedlight's flash fired. At last!

However, while in this mode, the speedlight and the TX are no longer communicating with each other. If I press the test button on the TX, the speedlight will not fire. And I can no longer change the speedlight's settings with the TX. So I changed the speedlight back to the other mode (which is indicated by some icons on the far right of the screen) and once again the TX will communicate with the speedlight. But the speedlight won't fire when I press the camera's shutter button. I removed the speedlight from the camera's hotshoe and replaced it with the TX. I then changed the mode on the speedlight to where the icons appear on the far left of the lcd (the one which is recognised by my camera.) With the TX mounted to my camera, I pressed the shutter button but the (now seperate) speedlight refuses to fire. I played around with some mode settings on the TX but to no avail.

So to summarise, I can get the camera and the speedlight to communicate with each other. And I can get the TX and the speedlight to communicate with each other. But I cannot get all three of them to communicate with each other at the same time. Do you reckon there is a way? The whole reason I bought the speedlight and TX together was so that I could use them in conjunction with the camera (all in sync.)

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:47 pm

Okay Ive found a part way solution. I still can't get the Yongnuo TX to work with my G6 but Ive found out that I can still do wireless flash. I can trigger the Yongnuo speedlight by using my G6's pop up flash. When the pop up flash fires, it sends a signal to the external Speedlight to fire. Of course I won't have quite the same flexibility as I would by using the dedicated TX (namely working distances) but still it's something. And of course, firing the camera's pop up flash could potentially spoil my lighting set up but I'll just cover it up with something thick and black during the shoot.

Edit: it's not such a great solution after all. Using the pop up flash as a trigger works okay at a distance but there's light spillage when shooting closer subjects. Turning the internal flash power down all the way and placing a piece of card in front of the pop up flash only partially helps. I really need to use a proper flash trigger.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Ive just connected an RF-603 flash trigger to my Panasonic G6's hotshoe. It turns on okay (has a flashing green light) but doesn't seem to communicate with the speedlight. The speedlight is meant to have a solid blue light to indicate that it's sensing the flash trigger. When I press the camera's shutter button, the speedlight will not fire. Also, nothing happens when I press the big round button on top of the flash trigger. And by the way, I have set the speedlight to RF-603.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:40 am

Finally I got it to work! I can now fire the speedlight remotely by pressing the camera's shutter button with the TX attached. It was four pins on the bottom of the TX that prevented it from sliding all the way into the hotshoe. A bit of a fidgety process removing them (had to take apart the back panel of the TX with two sets of four screws to access the circuit board.)

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:39 am

glad you got it to work :) i been thinking of getting yongnuo speedlight for my canon 60d. i'll be wary of the pins on the bottom lol

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:18 pm

chardie wrote:
glad you got it to work :) i been thinking of getting yongnuo speedlight for my canon 60d. i'll be wary of the pins on the bottom lol

Oh don't think you have to worry about the pins if you get the Canon version of the Yongnuo speedlight. I think it should be instantly compatible. It was only because I had a Panasonic that I had to do the pin removal.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:14 pm