It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:55 am

merry xmas 2018 

Post merry xmas 2018
the forums seem a little quiet of late, i guess everyones out timelapsing xmas festivities :-). So in the spirit of good cheer, i wish you all a merry xmas and a happy / prosperous new year. :D

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Post Re: merry xmas 2018
A very merry Christmas to all our readers.

Kit

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:16 am

So here we are in another new year. These holidays just fly by! Actually, as I do shift work on a site which is staffed 24/365 Christmas makes very little difference. Apart from the peaceful absence of The Management!

I did get my new CNC machine up and running and set it the task of cuting a large number of slots in the pieces of ply intended to make a new 'T' slot base. Unfortunately I managed to shear off the shaft of my little 400W spindle in the process. Asking too much of it in the butch new machine. So work is halted while I wait for the replacement to arrive.

I've gone for a clone of the Makita C700 router/trimmer this time. Partly because the makita is very popular for this use in budget machines, partly because a genuine Makita is what I used in my first machine with success before breaking it (all my fault as reported here in the past) but largely because (the clone) was dirt cheap at $67AUD including delivery! Not a lot of spare wad at the moment and certainly not enough for the coveted 2.2kW water cooled Chinese spindle that The Big Boys are so fond of.

When I do actaully get the finished machine up and working I'll post some video. I've also invested in some real Feeds & Speeds software (HSMAdvisor) in the Christmas sales. Hopefully this will help me not to break the new spindle before I can afford the super-duper expensive one!

Kit

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:46 pm
Site Admin

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!!! 8-)

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:56 am

man your hard on equipment kitwn ;)
i have been looking at a 400 watt spindle as well, depressing to hear you can break it. bought myself an x,y milling table before xmas got a phone call saying the store had none in stock in melbourne and one would be sent from perth it would take a bit longer to arrive ok no big deal. i googled the tracking number seems like its been delivered to some depo and been picked up. not quite sure how that works as i thought you would have to show some id and how would anyone else know that it was there to be picked up anyway ? so a case file has been opened up and their looking into it.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:39 am

the xy milling table turned up today amazing what happens after you make some phone calls
it will mill 300mm by 140mm i think. the other milling tables i looked at wouldn't mill as wide i think 110 was the widest i looked at and i was thinking i needed 120mm for my project. there is a bit of play when you change direction maybe 1/3 of a turn not sure that will be an issue . cant seem to to move the guides or table in any direction without hitting it to test so it seems like quite a tight little unit. i was quite surprised that no locking bolts or tnuts, tslides or whatever you call them come with the milling table as its useless without them. i was almost feeling like a machinist till then oh well back to ebay i guess.
oh yeah this thing is heavy 19 kilos nearly the same as a bag of cement

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:42 am

do you know the wattage of the clone of the Makita C700 router/trimmer ? also is it easy to bolt up to a frame or mount ?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:00 am

The 400W Chinese spindle did well for a quite a while. I was mistreating it fairly badly when I broke it, I had a 50mm long 10mm diameter tool in it and was cutting a bit too fast for such a long reach.

The Makita clone is rated at 700W like the original and looks very similar. I've only just started cutting with it but it's working so far. Note that any router with a brushed motor is going to be louder than a brushless spindle. They give off a high-pitched whine which carries well. Worth noting if your workshop is close to the neighbors.

The Makita is a popular choice largely because it has a cylindrical body which makes it easy to mount. I've used some home-made brackets but plan to cut out something better soon.

Kit

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:51 pm