It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:10 pm

kite aerial photography 

Post kite aerial photography
tied the go pro to the kite i bought a couple of weeks ago and sent it aloft on australia day. i was in the park that backs onto my house. first photo is looking towards burliegh heads the second is looking towards bond uni the third pic is from a week earlier as a test run . took a few goes to get the kite up in the air and lifting the gopro. the wind varied quite alot in speed seemed quite fast low over the ground then up high you got calm spots and the camera and kite would just start gently dropping until the next gust. heres a couple of pics had about half of the line out maybe 100 to 150 meters. 150 pound line dont want that kite getting away lol

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Post Re: kite aerial photography
Did this many years ago with my first gopro...lost all my pics in a drive crash ...i'll have to do it again . better cameras now too ;-)

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:11 pm

Quieter than a drone. Cheaper than a drone. Less easy to hijack with an iPhone ap than a drone. Doesn't need a licence like a drone.

You should always use the APPROPRIATE technology, not just the latest.

I've got a stunt kite somewhere, must attach my go-pro to it.

Kit

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:31 pm

Kite photography was quite a big thing before drones . I dabbled :D

D1

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:59 am

Tres cool!
Was that a radio controlled pan/tilt head for the camera? There seemed to be some well controlled movement in there.

Kit

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:04 pm

Hey Kit no just editing what came out by accident . It was fun to do but hard work and you cant really put kites up any where so think a drone is the way to go these days .
Soz bad quality one of those cheap board cameras you could get 10 years ago . Actually fed video signal back to the ground with very long wires :D
D1

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:11 am

Andi and I did some of that back in 2001-2002 when the first lookers were made. We used one of those tiny spy cameras that worked on a little 9 volt battery and transmitted its video directly to the ground where a little receiver could send the video to a VCR and TV set. It was very entertaining to watch the live feed coming down from the kite and see our neighborhood from above. I guess it was more of a novelty back then. We used a deep-sea fishing pole and 100 pound test line to reel the kite in and out. The pole also seemed to help when trying to get the kite started when just one person was doing it.

One day we got the kite back but there was no camera attached. We looked all over the yard and all the neighbors yards but couldn't find it. Then a few days later we were at a neighbors house and happened to look out the window. We could see it laying on our roof, so we got a ladder and recovered it. On another occasion, the kite crashed when we had a ton of line out. I got in the car and started driving around in the direction where I thought it was. There wasn't much hope of finding it because it could be anywhere, but after just a few minutes, I found it laying in someone's front yard about 20 feet from the road.

You may be responsible for reviving a nearly dead hobby. I get the impression that several more Timescapes members are going to go out and try this again now. I'll be looking through all the Chinese stuff on ebay for another one of those little cameras so I can do this with the nephews. They didn't even exist the last time I did this. Its hard to find other things that give this much adventure for $30. I can get aerial video with my toy drone now but I remember the kite being more dramatic and exciting even though the video was very shaky. Seeing the live feed wobble and vibrate as the kite struggled to stay in the air was actually a lot more exciting than seeing stable drone footage. I remember going through tons of video looking for those rare moments when it was stable enough to save a second or two into Premiere and accumulating these short clips into something almost worth sending back out to be re-recorded on the VCR to show the rest of the family.

I guess the ground station can be a lot smaller now. We'd set up a folding table and chairs out in the driveway. A big CRT TV, the VCR and receiver went on the table. That was our "mission control" for the duration of the flight. Life has become so complicated now. It was easy to be entertained back then.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:31 am

When it's not 18 degrees out....I'll send up my gopro session. run it on slow mo for a smooth shot

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Hey some great aerial photographs there. I like looking at the earth from high above. I tried the same thing with my two line stunt kite on two different days but I just couldn't get it into the air with the GoPro attached. Frustrating. Finally, I had some success when I mounted the GoPro to my quadcopter. Though there's something really satisfying about flying a kite. There is a dedicated online forum about kite photography called KAP.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Cheating here with a DJI Chinese kite ;) Went back for camera repair after this, not used to flying it yet and gimbal setting need some fine tuning. Arrived from repair just in time to see me head South again for 3 Weeks where I am currently enjoying a beer
, just missed the snow, D1 ;)
https://vimeo.com/198474940

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:49 am

i do have a little $70 quadcopter that has an option of a little camera . however it keeps crashing lol not to mention getting stuck at the top of trees. i think i am slowly getting the hang of it. had to buy an arm and motor for it so its an expensive hobby lol. the kite is just less stressful even therapeutic . yer i already knew about kap joined one forum. had the kite out once since then but very gusty it spun the camera round alot several thousand images all blurred sadly. put it down to learning i guess. read some posts about it so have a couple ideas to try next time. i did have the kite line out to a thousand feet so it was along way up the photos the weren't too blurred were interesting about twice the height of the photos i posted.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi, Chardie, my first drone ploughed into the side of a hill, panic attack :( The one I have now, panic...... let sticks go and it stops and hovers, regain control and fly on to the next panic situation ;) ....... Auto land :)

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:27 am

Amazing how stable the video is from the drone. I got the Phantom 3 when they were new. I love the gyro stabilization. It gives me a lot more confidence knowing I can always let go of the controls and let it return to a hover wherever it happens to be.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:45 pm

you guys are making me jealous with all this talk of auto hover and auto land :) . but thats ok i'll keep plugging away with the kite for the moment. a few people have drones in the park i visit, usually the smaller drones but no one is game enough to send them as high as i send the kite lol i have enough projects on the go at the moment i keep telling myself i don't need a bigger drone and to play with what i got already. perhaps if work picks up later in the year i might look at drones again. got the drone stuck in a tree at home once right at the top of a gumtree :roll: had a step ladder on the top on the cab of a tractor with a 6 meter long pipe shaking the life out of the branch to get the drone to drop out. pretty sure the department of occupational health and safety would not of approved. :lol:

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:57 pm

How about a radio controlled kite ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spirale-Ka-Se ... 2420674073

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:19 am

thats all i need another variation on a hobby :roll:

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:21 am