It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Expedition Florida Keys, Who wants to go? 

Post Expedition Florida Keys, Who wants to go?
When I was doing the night timelapse of the sea turtles, I made a similar invite. Several people came and had a great time staying up late at night on the beach waiting for turtles. The turtle filming is pretty much done, but a new Summer is here.

This year, I plan to cruise around the Florida keys on a 25 foot sailboat. There is no real plan, script or story other than whatever happens. The closest thing to a plan is to explore and search for clean water to snorkel. There will be lots of opportunities for timelapse or other sorts of photography. I would feel safer with at least one other person along, and therefore this invite. If you don't know anything about boats, i will show you how to stop the boat and how to turn around to get anyone who falls overboard. Its also an opportunity to learn to sail if that interests you.

The boat has room to sleep five (in three bunks, two for couples and a single). If a bigger group wants to come, there is even a second boat that sleeps another five or six. The second boat has no keel or mast, but can be towed to wherever we anchor for a few days then towed to the next anchorage. The main boat has a refrigerator, microwave and gas stove. I plan to do a bunch of cooking ahead of time and freeze the food so it can be reheated in the microwave. Aside from that, expect the conditions to be similar to camping. There is no air conditioning so the best way to cool off during the day will be to go swimming. There will be mosquitoes, high humidity and some degree of discomfort.

I plan to make several trips during July and August. Although I plan on staying out for a few weeks at a time, it will be possible to pick up passengers and drop them off along the overseas highway which runs along the keys as far as Key west. You will be responsible for your transportation to and from the pickup points (Bahia Honda state park, Flamingo, Convey point in Biscayne Bay, and possibly Key West).

This isn't a cruise ship, so you will be expected to help with raising and lowering sails as well as piloting the boat at times. Its not a paying gig, but you don't have to pay to come along either. So does anyone want to come along? Email me at Sciencelookers@aol.com or PM me. I will also check the forum from time to time in case there are any replies here. I expect the first cruise to happen by the end of June or beginning of July and hope to continue through August. I can try to check email and the forum during that time, but the best time to contact me and plan will be before the end of June.

Mon May 22, 2017 10:41 am