It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:15 am

Youtube Channel For Boat Restoration And Cruising Sailboat 

Post Youtube Channel For Boat Restoration And Cruising Sailboat
Some timelapse and speed shifting in most of the videos. The early videos show partial restoration of a 25 foot (7.5 meters) sailboat. Latter episodes show adventures on and around a small island where I stayed for two weeks. Almost all of the restoration work was timelapsed because this took 6 months and would be far too boring for contemporary audiences. All relevant steps are shown so others can learn to do it while lengthy activities with little additional information go by very fast.

I'm especially interested in feedback about the boat fixing videos, how helpful or harmful do you think this style is for teaching how to do something? (timelapse, speedshifting with narration)

Two of the videos made on the island are for my nephews (8 and 10) and hopefully appeal to kids. Hopefully it will be obvious which ones they are. The two snorkeling videos show two different sides of the island, rubbish commentary because I don't know what kind of fish I am looking at. The one about riding the tide around the seawall and ocean channel ends with a hopefully interesting view of the immense flow through the cut and the underwater hurricane that is completely unseen unless you go underwater to view it.

Here is a link to the youtube channel "nine hundred dollar luxury yacht"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsXX0L ... WgiEm_BKQQ

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:46 am

Post Re: Youtube Channel For Boat Restoration And Cruising Sailbo
Here's a link to the short version of my channel. Its 8 minutes to show what the season will have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EwSewrtc-I

This is probably the last video of this season. I waited for the summer cruise to be over before making what should be the first video of the series. This way the intro video can show off what is to come in the rest of the season. If you don't feel like watching all the videos on the channel so far, this is the eight minute short version.

Although my boat was in the Florida keys during the hurricane, it survived with very little damage. This is because it was stored on its trailer in the marina parking lot instead of being in the water. Many boats at the docks in this marina were sunk or thrown onto rocks by the storm but none of the boats on trailers sustained heavy damage. Ones stored with masts up and foresails on roller furlers had the sail unfurl and shred in the wind. The boats stored with the mast down had basically no damage.

Boats this size have very small living space compared to ones typically used to live aboard and/or cruise. But they have a few super-powers you just can't get in a larger boat. You can always find one for sale cheap. Repair or replacement of their outboard motors is a fraction of the cost to maintain larger inboard engines. These boats are made to go on a trailer, so pulling them out of the water is free using your car to tow it. Any work on the bottom of the boat usually happens on its trailer instead of in a boatyard. You store it free in your driveway or living at anchor instead of paying marina fees or renting a mooring ball. My boat goes 60 miles per hour (100Km/H) when towed behind my car. A six hour tow from my house in Merritt Island to the Florida keys would take a week of 12 hour days motoring the boat there in the water. Because its meant to be towed on its trailer, the boat's mast is designed to fold down easily. This also lets it go under low bridges with the mast folded down. (this is great because there is a fixed 8 foot (2Meter) bridge between my dock and the ocean, and because I'd like to go into a salt-creek on Andros Island which has a dozen blue holes but there is a low bridge at the entrance to the creek) Another adaptation for trailering is that the keel folds up against the bottom of the boat which also lets it get into very shallow water without touching bottom.

There is just enough room in these boats to provide all the comforts of a house except the room to move around. Once all the appliances are in, there is very little space to live in there. Its functional though with a comfortable place to sleep, a place to sit at a table/desk and full kitchen. The tiny interior encourages me to spend my time outside, exploring and finding interesting things to see. On nice days, most of my time is in the water and on an island. I go inside when I want to use the kitchen, shower or bathroom and again when its time to sleep. My days are full. Its amazing how many mega-yachts come out here on the weekend and they all sit inside with the air conditioner running. Its possible that smaller is better...

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:10 pm