It is currently Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:08 am

Land of the free and the home of the brave: I am coming!!! 

Post Land of the free and the home of the brave: I am coming!!!
Yeah I am coming to America! Wild West! Buffalos! Big Cars! Cowboys! Movie Stars! Hamburgers! Guns! I am so excited!! :)
On Friday 18th, I will fly to San Francisco, to begin with two weeks of holidays. I planned to go to Northern California and Oregon (San Francisco-Davis-Sacramento-Lassen Volcano NP-Redding-Crater Lake NP-Bend-Eugene- and down the coast back to San Francisco). Does anyone know about the forest fires? Seems to be pretty bad in Northern California... Maybe we'll have to change our route...
Afterwards I'll be in Stanford until August 14th or so.
Anyone (Tom :) ), do you feel like shooting some deer and time lapses?

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:29 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Land of the free and the home of the brave: I am coming!!!
Haha. I love the impression you have of this place - guns, movie stars & hamburgers.

I am going to be in Arizona Aug 9th - 16th. :(

I will be in the Eastern Sierras of California (on route 395) at the Mt Whitney portal campground shooting dark skies from Aug 1st - 5th. Don't know if that might fit in with your plans or not.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:49 am

It might be more accurate then the general view of the dutch; wooden shoes, windmills and weed :)

I have been to the US a couple years ago, also SF. We took a camper and made the tour by all the national parcs in four weeks. we also went through LA, we stayed there overnight, and heard some gunfire of in the distance :P , and it was quite warm.. especially in vegas...
I loved it, saw lots of things, it was great.. just wish I then had the camera I have now.. well all the more reason to do it again sometime...

Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:18 pm

153957 wrote:
It might be more accurate then the general view of the dutch; wooden shoes, windmills and weed :)

I have been to the US a couple years ago, also SF. We took a camper [...]

Campers also belong to the general view of the dutch :)

Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:25 pm

timescapes wrote:
I will be in the Eastern Sierras of California (on route 395) at the Mt Whitney portal campground shooting dark skies from Aug 1st - 5th. Don't know if that might fit in with your plans or not.

Yeah let's see! I will tell you when we are over there, maybe we will change our tour! Mt Whitney is anyways on my "to-be-hiked" list.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:28 pm
Site Admin

I hope you are in good shape - that hike is a killer. 22 miles, each way, with about 10,000 feet in elevation gain. I've done it three times, starting when I was 25, and each time gets harder. :)

Plus you need a "permit'. Land of free - yeah right.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:47 pm

timescapes wrote:
I hope you are in good shape - that hike is a killer. 22 miles, each way, with about 10,000 feet in elevation gain. I've done it three times, starting when I was 25, and each time gets harder. :)

Plus you need a "permit'. Land of free - yeah right.

I think permits for popular hikes are not that unreasonable. It keeps the nice place underpopulated... But for me, I will not hike Whitney this year. Maybe next time, I already spent nearly all my holiday time in Oregon and Northern California. What a great country!! I am quite envious of you American guys :-) And I already have some 20-30 GB of fresh time lapse material. Nice fog on the coast :)

Cheers,

Michael

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:20 pm