It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:52 am

Time Lapse partner? OR one man show? 

Post Time Lapse partner? OR one man show?
So how does it work with a lot of you?

im 100% a one man band when it comes to my timelapse. I develop my own systems, go out to the loc on my own, run the entire show, do all the post work, etc.

I have a shooting partner that i team up with from time to time for event photography, modeling shoots, etc, but the guy has no interest in timelapse.

So i dont mind going it alone for the most part, it can be a great time to just relax and enjoy nature, but sometimes like night shootin. It would be nice to have somebody to go shooting with.

Do you folks generally run solo?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:08 am

Post Re: Time Lapse partner? OR one man show?
Solo, who would want to come sit and watch sunsets and clouds with you...that's just gay. Get a dog they love it :)

Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Dick...... lol

yah usually im fine on my own, most places i go to wont let me bring my dogs though. its the long term night shooting that i preffer to have someone to BS with while im shooting for 3 hours. lol

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:16 pm

Yeh my fat ass dog gets me in trouble by rangers all the time, and walks in front of the camera too, ruined my only double rainbow time-lapse I've been lucky enough to capture.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:54 pm

At home for starlapse I just go back to my bed ! When shooting at normal daytime locations there is always some one who stops by to chat. However in the lonely spots I read a book or listen to radio in 4WD or music on MP3 player or sunbath/snooze, take your pick :-)

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:59 pm

I would love to have someone come along on shoots. But really you'd run out of things to talk about after the first 20 minutes into a three hour shoot :-)
Be nice to hook up with others with the same interest just for the learning experience.

I'm planning a overnight hiking trip on Mount Hood this summer if anyone wants to come along.

I tried taking my two dogs with me once but that was a disaster. They just want to play.................with me.

I kind of look at timelapse as a personal thing. My wife likes to go with me on photo expeditions but doesn't have the patience for timelapse, and can you blame her? Who would other then other timelapser's

igus dolly system with the DP MX2 engine

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:40 am

I recently started seeing this girl who said she would like to go with me when i go do this stuff sometime. I figure it would be a one time thing and she would get bored.

then again, last time i went astro-shooting back in june, this girl came with me and really found a fun way to.... pass the time...

lol

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 pm

ladukebob wrote:
I'm planning a overnight hiking trip on Mount Hood this summer if anyone wants to come along.

I tried taking my two dogs with me once but that was a disaster. They just want to play.................with me.

I kind of look at timelapse as a personal thing. My wife likes to go with me on photo expeditions but doesn't have the patience for timelapse, and can you blame her? Who would other then other timelapser's

can we bring the V's and talk motorcycles and time lapse? that might cover 3 hours

timt

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Sure, but by then I will have sold the V and bought an 2011 ktm 990 Dakar. Picking it up this weekend :D

We can still talk V's though

igus dolly system with the DP MX2 engine

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 pm

ladukebob wrote:
Sure, but by then I will have sold the V and bought an 2011 ktm 990 Dakar. Picking it up this weekend :D

We can still talk V's though

or we can talk motos in general - cool about getting the new bike!

timt

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Among my friends I'm usually the odd one in the bunch.
I'm the guy who's fascinated by the technical side of things and I can go sit in a forest all night at freezing temperatures, by myself.
In the meanwhile my friends are people who don't get that kind of stuff, but choose the more standard "hobbies" like going out, getting drunk, fishing, etc.

A friend who always goes fishing doesn't get my hobby, he thinks it's utterly boring to just sit somewhere all night while your camera is doing the work.
Then when you get home you still have to edit the sequence and make a video out of it. Meaning that hours of sitting somewhere in the dark turns out to be a 30 second video.
Which is pretty weird since he sits along his fishing rod all day, waiting for a fish and when he catches one, he has to throw it back.
At least I get a video out of it :D

So yeah, I'm also a 100% one man show :)

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Fraa,

I'm with you. I glaze over when people start talking about fishing or sport which is 90% of the conversation here. Strangely no-one seems interested in having a conversation about the merits of Coded Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex or how to build a cheap solar powered Sterling engine for a generator or how to write software for an Arduino driven moco rig.

I doubt there's anyone else within 500km of here doing timelapse at present but there's a photographic group starting up so I'm hoping to get someone interested. I'd really like to try using two cameras to get a continuous shoot of a sunset. By overlapping manual changes of ND filter, ISO etc we can ignore the requirement for anything automated other than bulb ramping and produce a more interesting video due to changes of viewpoint.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:18 pm

This entire thread had me on the floor! Very funny!

I went back and watched the You Tube "double rainbow" viral after hearing about the dog bump!

This video still kills me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa_FC_CSTe4

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:09 pm

1tkman wrote:
This entire thread had me on the floor! Very funny!

I went back and watched the You Tube "double rainbow" viral after hearing about the dog bump!

This video still kills me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa_FC_CSTe4

Hilarious!
I have a lot of photographer friends but none are into time-lapse.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:39 am

90% solo,would be nice to have someone sometimes, even if its just to have someone back up my story for what im doing in the middle of the night away from everthing.
It does look a bit suspicous while sitting in your car, alone with a burbon, listening to some obscure music that just might fit a timelapse clip you made weeks ago.
While a camera cliks 50ft away from you.
Most times i spend with strangers that wander by and try to clarify what im doing ,not to mention explaining the 450photos played back at 23.976fps = Timelapse

Im new here, greeting from Aus. Been stalking this site for a while :D

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:07 am

Another Australian! We're taking over. So why 23.976 fps?

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:36 am

I usually go out on my own, but occasionally I'll go with somebody if I know it's going to be a particularly boring day without a 3G signal to watch TV on the iPhone. ;)

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:52 am

Movingfish wrote:
90% solo,would be nice to have someone sometimes, even if its just to have someone back up my story for what im doing in the middle of the night away from everthing. It does look a bit suspicous while sitting in your car, alone with a burbon, listening to some obscure music that just might fit a timelapse clip you made weeks ago. While a camera cliks 50ft away from you.

LOL! At least you guys have the advantage of being just that.. guys. It's a bit more tricky being a lone girl doing this stuff, especially at night. When I do go out alone, I thankfully have a VW Westy van which is a little home-on-wheels to hide/hang out in while the camera clicks away next to the open door. I've probably done most of my time lapsing from my own back yard (or most recently, on my kitchen window) or from somewhere I can park, as opposed to having to get to on foot.

Sometimes it's nice to have someone to keep you company. And sometimes I think part of the appeal of the the hobby is that you can do it alone. It puts us in a position to have 'down-time' with ourselves and our bits of the planet that most people don't get (nor sadly want).. yet have something to show for it for others to enjoy. It's a learning experience in more ways than one. Damn well better than sitting around in a narcissistic daze on Twitter or Faceplant all day, I say ;)

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:09 pm

23.976 Thats what i render all my clips at.......wrote that just in case milapse was watching hehe :D
I too have a campervan......more a cameravan, yes i too get a bit spooked sometimes out there alone and will be honest, i do lock the doors and hide under the blanket sometimes.
Yep another tough Australian hehe. I will be heading across the bight this year not sure if i will make it as far as Exmouth but you never know :-)
My daughter used to come with me, but must admit 3hours of tl does get a bit tedius especialy in the wind, heat ,rain,dark and not to mention the dredded bug attacks.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:48 pm

I shoot totally solo. When you have 3 young boys, a wife and 2 dogs it's great to alone when you get the chance. There's nothing better than shooting at night in the desert in the middle of summer. Some times I listen to Coast to Coast or Phil Hendrie just for kicks. One time I was wrapping up at an old abandoned house in the mountains and a bobcat let out a sream and that was a little terrifying. My 5 year old came along when I time lapsed a dinosaur sculpture. He begged me to go and even helped me with lighting and then cried for the next hour saying he was bored!!

Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Mostly alone for TL, although have occasionally had company. Try to keep those ones shorter.

Longest timelapse I've done was completely one man effort. Have yet to fully edit.

Kitwin and MovingFish -> Of course the Australians are taking over. We gotta a lot of land to shoot.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:22 pm

I typically shoot alone when I'm in a location that I'm quite well-acquainted with (Seattle Area, Olympic Peninsula, Central Cascades, Eastern Washington, Canadian coastline, Idaho). Any other locations or trips and I bring someone along. I'm going with a friend on my trip to southern Chile and Argentina (Patagonian steppe, Andes mountains, Tierra del Fuego), because a trip of its size is simply unmanageable alone.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:35 pm

I always shoot solo, except for those spontaneous nights when I go out in the field with a friend!

For the hyperlapses I shoot solo as well, although I plan on using an assistant for my upcoming project, as it will be too big for a one man show.

I used an assistant on one of the Tomorrowland shots, and that was insanely more relaxing than having to stress about people running into you and destroying the sequence 300 shots in :-p

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 pm