It is currently Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:46 am

Going to Hawaii 6-4-08 any TL spots to hit? 

Post Going to Hawaii 6-4-08 any TL spots to hit?
So Im going to Oahu Wed and I'm wondering if anyone knows any thing cool I should try squeeze in a timelapse of.

Im going to try to get some sunsets and at least on sunrise, and a star lapse over Diamond head.

I have 3 2gig cards and one 4gig so If I do alot of timelapseing I'll have to reduce my file sizes.

My problem is having too many electronic devices to bring too. I'm already most likely not bringing my HV20 and bringing my HDR-HC3 since I have a water housing for it even though the HV20 has much better PQ.

I'm trying to decide to bring my 40D or my XTI. The 40D has more features and bigger batts but it is way heavier.

Also I doubt I will be able to bring my panning head and main tripod due to weight. Since it is a family vacation I cant bring all my goods.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:02 am
Post Re: Going to Hawaii 6-4-08 any TL spots to hit?
All I can say is that I understand your equipment/space problems! When I was on the big island my Ricoh GRs were perfect for space issues. I also took a stripped down telescope tripod with a single axis motor. Worked decent and was able to fit in my big luggage bag with another light tripod for shooting.

If your trip is anything like mine you'll have more great opportunities than you'll have time for... :evil: There is very interesting climate and action all over the islands but without knowing them intimately it's hard to scope out good locations for decent time periods when your trying to have family time as well! You'll get some good stuff for sure nonetheless...

Here's what I got mostly around our cottage rental in Honounou:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2JUNMB_yXQ

Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:15 am

Nice video Milapse. I was tempted last night to take apart my panning head to see if I could make it smaller. Today after work is when I'm going to figure out what to bring.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:52 am

I've never been to hawaii but arent there volcanos with flowing lava that you can get near? That would make a cool time lapse...

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:28 am
Andrew Curtis wrote:
I've never been to hawaii but arent there volcanos with flowing lava that you can get near? That would make a cool time lapse...

only the big island has active flow and it's very remote now (2 hour hike or heli ride 8-) ) You'd have to be a bit crazy to get your equipment that close to lava anyway... Lot's o contaminates and heat!

Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:09 am
Site Admin

Probably the mountains or sunsets there would be the most interesting.

I have to keep myself from falling into the trap of always wanting to drag all my electronics and photo stuff along on every trip. At some point I have to ask myself: am I here to enjoy the beauty of this place, or to be a slave to my camera and electronics?

It's best just to find a nice balance, I think. :mrgreen:

Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:38 am