It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:37 pm

Powering 5dmkii with external source 

Post Powering 5dmkii with external source
Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to TL and astrophotography and wanted to purchase an external battery for my 5kmkii. Since the 5kmkii batteries are rated at 7.2v, what external battery do you guys recommend?

I have my eyes on the XTPower MP-10000 External Battery Pack paired with a Lanparte E6 Battery Dummy Pack E6p01; however, the XTPower is 9v. Will I have to purchase a converter? I don't want to take the risk and burning out any circuitry on my camera.

Ideally, I just want an external battery that is safe for my camera.

Any other recommendations, suggestions or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Have a great day and TIA!

- jkfox777

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Post Re: Powering 5dmkii with external source
hi

I had the same problem and found this site:

http://gwegner.de/know-how/externe-12v- ... canon-diy/

..now I can use every battery pack :-))

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:45 am

Hello krupptown! What is funny is that I found this website while researching external battery solutions. This looks like an awesome solution, and safe for the camera, too. Unfortunately I do not know how to solder. I guess I would have to learn! I know a co worker of mines and I may have to ask him a great favor!

Unless, I may be going to the distance... I'm willing to PayPal via online if someone can do the converter and soldering portion. I'm being serious! If anyone is reading this, I am highly interested in this request if that is feasible and realistic. Of course, I will purchase my external battery on my side :-).

On the mean time, thank you for replying and sharing this link. I'm going to bookmark it now.

Sincerely,

Jimmy

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:13 am

UPDATE:

The LM2596S Euro version cannot ship to the US. I found an alternative for the state side.

Will this work as well?

https://www.amazon.com/CycleMore-LM2596 ... ds=LM2596S

BTW, is there any other alternatives out there? Thanks in advance!

Sincerely

Jimmy

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:27 am

2nd UPDATE:

Does anyone have any experience or own the Case Relay? Any issues? The site advertises the requirement of a 5V battery source. However, to my understanding, a 5dmkII requires 7.2V. How does the case relay work if its only pushing or regulating 5V from an external battery pack? Am I understanding this correctly?

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=de&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.amazon.de/RAVPower%25C2%25AE-23000mAh-Externer-Multi-Volt-Smartphones/dp/B00JGER8JW%3Fie%3DUTF8%26camp%3D1638%26creative%3D19454%26creativeASIN%3DB00JGER8JW%26linkCode%3Das2%26redirect%3Dtrue%26ref_%3Das_li_tl%26tag%3Dgwegnerde-21&usg=ALkJrhhaD-Sbna31yDFckzuAPzhl0JryzA

Kind regards,

Jimmy

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:59 am

This is somewhat an old thread, but maybe its still of interest to someone (if not, I'll take the "golden shovel award"). I was using those cheap Chinese voltage converters for some time also, to power my cameras from 12V batteries. However, I didn't like the extra box that contained the DC/DC converter. After looking at a battery holder it occured to me that you can do it like this:

That way the DC/DC converter sits inside the camera's battery grip. In this case its for a Nikon D700 and set to output 9 Volts.

Olaf

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:23 am

Nice neat solution.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:34 pm