It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:02 pm

Saved by the timelapse rig 

Post Saved by the timelapse rig
Well, the title's a little dramatic - I was out shooting last night for the 2nd night in a row and was sitting in the car watching TV shows on my phone, powering it off the car battery (can you see where this is going?) After maybe 3-4 episodes I decided it was time to turn the car on to charge up the car battery. Turned the key...tick, tick, nothing. Dead battery. Tried again, no luck, the car is going nowhere.

As it was clouding over I brought the cameras and gear in and packed up for the night. Next morning, pulled out the jumper leads and connected the little 12V 7.5AH battery that powers the TB3 to the car, turned the key, and I had a running engine!

The TB3 battery must have been running for 5-6 hours over two nights and still had enough to kick the engine over. I remember reading someone else's story here about a similar thing which gave me the idea. Luckily I was at a campsite and I could have got a jump start from the next camp over, but it's good to know I've got a backup if the same ever happens again and I'm a little further away.

Thanks to whoever posted the original story I remembered! :)

https://www.facebook.com/KarlMullerPhotography

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:15 am

Post Re: Saved by the timelapse rig
I hate that feeling why you turn the key and all that happens is the interior light dims especially when nobody else is in sight. Luckily the modern car doesn't need much to turn over.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Post Re: Saved by the timelapse rig
Reminds me of an occasion where I was running a heavy duty rig from a Yamaha 1kVa generator at Uluru/Ayers Rock, Northen Territory.

We had pre-programmed the shot earlier in the late pm and were waiting for 'magic hour' after sunset to shoot the Rock. (is really 'magic 10 to 15mins.' if you're lucky)
Go to turn on the generator - not happening - 10 minutes to shoot time in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a couple of tourists in 4WD's.
A slight case of panic is descending when one of the tourists notices the predicament, wanders over, introduces himself and mentions he is a certified Yamaha technician with a limited tool kit.
In 5mins. the generator case is off, a quick examination to figure out the fault, and a small replacement part fitted and we are ready to go!
Talk about extreme good luck.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:07 pm