It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:52 am

Great battery if only if... 

Post Great battery if only if...
I've been testing this battery and alls well except the damn thing shuts down after 33 sec. if the controller (MX2) doesn't fire a shot in the interim. It's a smart battery so I get that...is there anyway to bypass this powersaver short of taking it apart and giving it a lobotomy?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NG ... UTF8&psc=1

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:13 am

Post Re: Great battery if only if...
The lobotomy would be my choice as well. If you want to preserve its smart features, maybe open it, solder some wires direct to the cell output, bypassing the smart circuit and add another socket. That way you still have all the smart plugs and an extra dumb plug. Crude, but thats all I could think of off hand. Nice light package for 15 AH.

PS. If you can figure out how much current needs to be drawn to make it think its in use, you could make a special cable with a resistor that bleeds off that much and no more. It wastes a little power, but hopefully the current can be very small. This plan would not involve opening or modifying the battery. If you get some resistors with large values (starting in the hundreds of K and moving down), try making a plug with a resistor across the wires using alligator clips, switch resistors going to smaller and smaller values until you find a resistor which has the most resistance and still prevents the battery from shutting down. Then make your special cable with that resistor for the current bleed. That would bleed the least amount of current necessary to prevent the smart circuit from outsmarting your MX-2.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:33 am

This one does it too?!

Dangit!

I was thinking of ordering that one!
The old 20K maH one has a similar issue...

Also I am "stupid" with current calculations.
Once you figure out the resistor, how do you figure out how much power that is sucking in maH per hour?

Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:05 am

I'm using it with an MX2 but it still shuts down. Just a quick pulse back to the battery would work without draining it in a significant way. I did get it to stay on for 3 minutes but only if my iphone is plugged into it for a charge! Your idea of doing a bypass sounds good James. I'm worried that it may overcharge if I do that.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Emailed Anker about it:

Dear XXX

Thanks for contacting Anker Support.

The 2nd Gen Pro2 has a minimum power draw of 0.05A, if the power draw is lower than that for more than around 50 seconds then it'll automatically power down. There isn't a way to avoid this auto-shutoff feature either I'm afraid to say.

Apologies that I can't be of further service on this occasion but do please get back to me if you need anything else at all.

////

What intervals are you using?! I guess at night I go 40s for stars so that could be a problem...
But... why use this battery for MX2? I have one of those crappy blue bricks, 9800maH and it seems to last forever!

I use the bigger batts for the emotimo (power hog)

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:12 am

I tried using a lighted switch but it still shut down. The Battery was 94% so that may be a factor. I'll give it a full charge and try again.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:52 pm