It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Cinevate Battery Sale. Can I use this? 

Post Cinevate Battery Sale. Can I use this?
Hey guys,

Cinevate has a huge clearout sale on their portable batteries ($49 down from $525).
http://www.cinevate.com/store2/on-sale/ ... K9qRI.dpbs

I'm a power idiot, and I have no idea how I could use this to power my 5DmarkIII and Rhino motion slider in the field. I have a Canon AC adapter kit, and the Rhino also can run off an AC adapter, so ideally (I think) I'd need to hook this battery (4 pin xlr 12 volt output) up to a 2 outlet AC socket somehow. Any ideas? Is there a much better way of doing this?

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:29 am

Post Re: Cinevate Battery Sale. Can I use this?
What are you using now?

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:53 pm

Nothing. Gripped 5dmarkiii, and when my slider dies, I'm done for the night.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:39 pm

For camera you can power it using Sony NP-F batteries.
NP-F970 is appropriately 2x LP-E6.
If you put 2x NP batts it is like 4x LP-E6 or 2 grips, which should basically last all day or like 3000 raw photos at LEAST (I think).

If you have tools you can solder your own for like $10 by buying cheap Sony NP-F chargers on eBay.
The $4 kind with removable plate.

Buying "commercial" options is super expensive for this because the market is very small, and the quality is terrible.
On eBay it is $50 for one sony np plate to LP-e6 adapter!!! And it looks like crap. If you can make your own it cost:

$10 for LP-E6 (to make dummy battery)
$4 for each plate. In theory you can run a whole bunch in parallel but if they aren't matched voltages won't be good in long run.
But most of use don't use this very often so, doesn't really matter.
You can google how to do this, a bunch of examples online.
I don't remember if I posted how to do this but for Nikon you need to connect directly to +/- terminals on battery otherwise it won't work.

The NP is good because it is similar voltage so you don't have to waste extra power converting (conversion inefficiencies).

For slider you can use Anker Pro 20,000 maH.
Has different output voltages. This shuts off if draw is less than 130mA though, so for emotimo users we have to turn the screen brightness to max to keep it on.

Gripped 5D3 lasts a long time, so that is fine for anything that you don't need more than 24h for.
I usually just use grip or internal battery, realistically there are few (if any) projects you will actually do that need more power without A/C...

Many people use other rechargeable batteries for the slider part because the lithium stuff is relatively inexpensive, light, and provides lots of power.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:35 pm