It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:45 am

Camera stops shooting with battery pack 

Post Camera stops shooting with battery pack
Hello,

I thought I posted this but can't find it. Im new to this forum so please bear with me. I use a Canon 5d mkII. Recently I bought a lithium ion battery with a 12v(9800 mah), 9v(12000mah) and 5v usb(20000) options. I first started my test with the battery on 12v. I have a DC coupler inside the battery compartment. I also installed a LM 2596 buck converter so I can dial voltage I need. First test the converter was at 7.2 to mimic voltage of LP-E6 battery. For some reason, it will only take one shot and shuts down the camera. Battery indicator blinks and I have to open battery door to reset. Did this several time with same results. Second test, still 12v on the battery but increased the converter to 8.4. Good results but not ideal. It will shoot 100- 120 frames and shuts off. Several tries on this with the same results. Third test, no converter but switch the battery to 9v. I didn't use the converter because it needs1.5 volts of difference to work properly. Tried several times and results were the same as 12v on battery with converter at 8.4v. The camera stops shooting after 100-120 frames.

Anyone come across this issue? I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

Oh, bts camera works fine with factory LP-E6 battery.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Post Re: Camera stops shooting with battery pack
Howdy,

I have a similar setup to yours and mine works fine.

Have you tried using something other than the LiPo battery supply as your problem could be something to do with the buck converter inside that unit ?

Steve

Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Another option is Sony NP-F batteries :)
Built homemade battery plate, no converter needed.

Sony NP-F970 is around 7500mAH, like 4x Lp-E6 batts.
I have two connected in parallel. Runs my camera for like 8h on video shoots :)

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:31 pm

I also use a camcorder battery, no step down needed. Ran for 6 hours last weekend and still had power to spare. There are so many step-down converters on the net, many for dirt cheap and I didn't want to risk my camera. I bought a Wasabi battery set from Amazon and soldered leads into the battery plate which connects to a dummy Sony DSLR battery. If I ever feel the need, I will go with a Sony camcorder battery which will mount to the same plate.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:04 am