It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:33 pm

Canon 350D power 

Post Canon 350D power
Hiya folks :) I`m looking at getting into time lapse photography. I`m already into astrophotography so I have most of what I need exept for the means to power my 350D for long periods. What would I need for that exactly? I`ve got a Sanyo Zacti digital camcorder aswell and I`ve looked at the pros and cons between the two on a very helpful thread here. My camcorder has no power issues, I can just leave it plugged into it`s adaptor. My 350D on the other hand will be a problem. Those little batteries don`t last super long. I`ve got a big power station I use for astro work but I can see that overloading my camera! lol Can anyone make any suggestions please?

Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:51 am

Post Re: Canon 350D power
Buy an AC adapter kit from ebay, one of the cheap aftermarket ones.
Then if you are using it in remote places wire up an extra cable you can interface into an external battery pack.
Anything from 7 ~ 8 volts will be fine.
Check out all the other post here about the other canon cameras in the power section, same things apply, just a different fake battery / cable.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Hey Feebo! How much "hands on" are you looking to do? As most things are, the more work you put in, the less expensive it is, but some people just prefer to throw money at problems instead of time and effort. I spent a lot of time looking at all the potential ways to power my 350D, so I can give try to give you a bit of direction.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:00 pm

Oh sweet ! :) Cheers Stef :ugeek: I`ve got lots of time and almost infinate patience so I`ll be getting stuck right in :) It would be nice if I didn`t have to spend much but what ever it is I need to buy will be useful for my astrophotography too so perfectly justifyable d better look those up. Do you have any suggestions? I think I`ve struck it lucky finding another 350D owner on the first thread ;)

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Correction: I'm stupid, and own a 400D, but it's the same battery, so everything I know should be directly applicable!

Hahahaha, anyways, here's what I did. First, I checked out all my different options. I looked at Lead Acid batteries, ways to power via a car jack, even quickly looked at solar, but the best solution I found was in this thread. http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewto ... 46&p=25066

I was very unknowledgeable with electronics at the time, and I was lucky enough to have a faculty member at my university who works with powering those cool Gigapan systems help me out. Using the method from the above post as a guideline, we ordered the needed parts after figuring out that yes, everything should work. Once the parts were in, I was taught how to solder, and a few wire strippings, solder joints, and voltmeter tests later, I had a working "super battery." Basically, I was just powering my camera off a larger version of the same battery by using a homemade battery coupler and some connection points. In terms of what you need for your camera to power it off the astro power-station, I'm not quite sure. I would need to know more information about what kind of battery it is and what outputs are available. Basically, the camera needs an input between ~7-8 volts. (I wouldn't exceed 8.1 volts, which is what's printed on the bottom of the camera, just to be safe. The battery says 7.4V.) Depending on what your outputs are (possibly 12v?) you will need a voltage regulator of sorts to reduce it. Or, you can just use the separate battery method. If you want more detailed methods on the method I used, I would be glad to make another thread detailing what I did with parts, instructions, etc.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Crikey I don`t like the idea of cobbling a homemade battery together. I`d worry about killing my camera! My power station has two cigar lighter outputs. Hmmm.... I`m thinking though, wouldn`t it be possible to just work out when the battery is going to run out and be there to quickly change it? I doubt it`s that simple but your frames are going to be minutes apart at least I`d have thought? I just don`t like the idea of A Teaming it.....

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:51 pm

If you buy one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ACK-DC20-AC-Power-A ... 43a5ce1624
then you can use the 2nd fake battery for an external DC supply source like one of the other large batteries that others mention.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Feebo wrote:
Crikey I don`t like the idea of cobbling a homemade battery together. I`d worry about killing my camera! My power station has two cigar lighter outputs. Hmmm.... I`m thinking though, wouldn`t it be possible to just work out when the battery is going to run out and be there to quickly change it? I doubt it`s that simple but your frames are going to be minutes apart at least I`d have thought? I just don`t like the idea of A Teaming it.....

It's not as bad as you'd expect. By using a larger capacity battery with the same voltage output as your current battery, it would be just like buying a "High Capacity" version of the battery, just "Crazy High Capacity." :D But if you don't want to do that, no worries. There are still plenty of other options.

Your cigar lighter power outputs should be 12V. Those will most likely (I'd be surprised if they didn't) kill your camera if plugged directly in. To run it off your power station, you will need to purchase or make a battery coupler, like Antz recommended. After that, you will need an inverter to go from your 12V station output to a standard household AC outlet. That will work. No homemade mess. I'm not sure of the efficiencies of those inverters, or if you have a ton of power to spare from your station, but that would be the easiest "throw money at the problem" solution that still offers convenience.

You can also try switching batteries like you said, but several problems jump to mind. Your interval between shots has to be long enough for you to switch the battery without causing a slight hiccup in the TL, and also, the camera may shift ever so slightly when switching batteries, which could be noticeable in your final TL. Also, you will have to monitor the camera, waiting for the battery to die, ready to switch the batteries, which requires a lot of standing around and waiting. For me, a lot of my stuff is done in less than ideal conditions (aka cold) so I don't want to stand next to my camera for extended periods of time while it shoots a star lapse. The "super battery" works great for me in this case.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeeeeah not really an option that is it..... I`ve just had an email from an astro buddy and he`s sent me this link....
http://astronomiser.co.uk/canonpower.htm
That`s the same thing you guys are telling me about basically isn`t it. My power station has a built in inverter. By the sound of things I can buy one of the above doo daa`s for £29 (might as well have the longer cable) and be ready to go once I get my new puter.....

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Feebo wrote:
Yeeeeah not really an option that is it..... I`ve just had an email from an astro buddy and he`s sent me this link....
http://astronomiser.co.uk/canonpower.htm
That`s the same thing you guys are telling me about basically isn`t it. My power station has a built in inverter. By the sound of things I can buy one of the above doo daa`s for £29 (might as well have the longer cable) and be ready to go once I get my new puter.....

Yup! That should take care of your needs.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Cool :) I might as well wait until I`ve got my new computer before buying one I think...
I`m really missing using my cameras and stuff while I`m waiting :(

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 am