It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:54 pm

How are you guys disassembling the canon batteries? 

Post How are you guys disassembling the canon batteries?
I've read several post were people are gutting their extra canon batteries and wiring it to a converter then a cigarette lighter. I have plans to do a similar project but am having issues cleanly opening the battery.

I bought 3 cheap 3rd party batteries off Ebay and have already destroyed one. So how are you guys opening the housings? I used a blow dryer to heat up the adhesive that hold the 2 pieces of the housing together but that didn't work. I used a small flat head to try and work the seal free all the way around. So Like I said I have 3 batteries one is now a mangled mess. So before I attempt another I was hoping for some tips.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Post Re: How are you guys disassembling the canon batteries?
You buy something like this and all the work is done for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACK-E6-AC-Power-Ada ... 43a6670e81

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:46 pm

This was definitely a tricky step for me. I feel your pain! If you have a work clamp, I'd try clamping the battery down, and either taking something small like a very small flathead screwdriver, or maybe even a hacksaw to the seam in the plastic. We used a small screwdriver, pressed it into the seam, twisted it, slid it down the seam, and repeated. Eventually it opened up for us, but it was not a walk in the park.

Definitely make sure the battery is completely drained of power (check with a volt meter!) and be very, very careful when doing this. I had a bit of sparking as I opened the battery up, which was a bit scary, but I was okay. I'd also make sure your tools are insulated if possible. Those Lithium-ion cells can explode if shorted in the right way. Best of luck!

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Depending on the type of battery, you may not need to actually open it.
The batteries I modified for my 5D1 and XT cameras I just used a file to make a groove in the case deep enough to lie the wires in, then soldered the wires on top of the existing terminals very carefully.
Takes a bit of skill to get the soldering just right so that it lies flat and does not affect the camera contacts though, so would only recommend if you are used to soldering.

Newer batteries with the thin terminal strips like the 5D2 I just bought the cheap AC adapter.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks for the replies. I realy need to gut one to put a DC to DC step down inside.

stefprez - I tried the same thing you mentioed but the plastic is now warked and twisted. No way for it to go in and out of the camera body now.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 am

Zigmo wrote:
stefprez - I tried the same thing you mentioed but the plastic is now warked and twisted. No way for it to go in and out of the camera body now.

Hmmm... Is it the entire casing, or just some of the edges? If the latter, maybe some sandpaper will fix the issue? Only other thought, and this is quite a stretch, is using some sort of solvent to dissolve the glue. I have no idea what would do it, but it could work theoretically. Best of luck and sorry I can't offer any better advice.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:01 am

I just used a small knife and went around all the seams...

Do you keep the electronics in your fake batteries, or just solder directly to the terminal pins?

Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:47 am

I got one open last night. I used a razor blade. I'm mistake with the first attempt was that i was trying to preserve the lip that sets into the top part. If that makes sense. Ill post pics later today.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:41 am

rikun wrote:
Do you keep the electronics in your fake batteries, or just solder directly to the terminal pins?

I removed the physical battery cells but left the small board and soldered to the correct points on the board. Without a voltmeter, I wouldn't have known which point to go to though, so I would have just soldered to the terminal points. Either way should work.

And zigmo, glad to hear you got it open!

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:05 am

What does the board do? I removed it and am soldering the DC to DC step-down straight to the contacts.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:26 am

I tried with the board in tact, but it didn't work. The camera immediately said "change the battery". There was a third connection from the board to somewhere on the original battery cells, I guess one should connect it somewhere also?

Without the board it works, but I'm guessing the electronics might be of some use?

Also, do you think it would be possible to power two cameras from the same battery? Actually I'm already doing that, but it doesn't seem too stable (the power runs out way too quickly compared to the spec of the battery).

The reason I'm doing this is to test if two cameras syncronize better using the same power source (for stereoscopic stuff).

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:56 pm

I used the linked step down in the battery. It fit perfectly. Now I can connect any 12v DC power source to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-PCS-DC-DC-Step-Down-Adjustable-Power-Supply-Module-/270636001426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0329a892

I removed the board and the camera powers on with a message saying it can not communicate with the battery, and gives be an option to use it anyways. I think the board communicates the charge level to the camera.

Attachments:
1.jpg [125.06 KiB]
Downloaded 1273 times
2.jpg [37.7 KiB]
Downloaded 1273 times
3.jpg [72.77 KiB]
Downloaded 1273 times
Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:33 am

That's clever :-) Do you think 2A is enough, though? Also, isn't the fake battery getting really hot with that chip in a closed space?

Well my camera is 550D/T2i, and I guess the board does something else (since the camera still reads charge level without the board).

Can someone chime in on powering two cameras from the same battery? I'll have to get a second Lenmar plate if my idea doesn't work...

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:24 am

2A could run 2 Cameras from what I can see. From what I can tell from searching a 5d pulls .75 amps.

The board does not get hot at all. I have one wired to my Little Bramper with no problems.

As for the 2 cameras of one battery there should not be a problem. Obviously the battery will drain 2+ times faster. How bad is the battery life?

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:17 am

Great job. Saves a bunch of bits to carry when using an external converter.
From memory, about the most current draw I got out of a camera in a bunch of tests I did a couple of years ago was about 1.5amps peak on the 5D1.
Haven't tested my 5D2 for current.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Well there must be something wrong then...

The other camera will flash "change the battery pack" almost immediately with a fresh battery... The other one keeps going, though. I'll have to check my wiring, but I'm pretty sure there is nothing from with the soldering, etc.

Maybe I should really _remove_ the electronics from the batteries, I just soldered directly to the connector through the pcb. So maybe the electronics think that the battery is empty, even though it is not?

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:47 am

So you are running 2 cameras off 1 stock battery? I can imagine batterys have limits when it comes to dispensing power. Ever watch a car with an aftermarket sound system. Everytime a bass line hits the car lights dim. They use large capacitors to solve this because they can rapidly deliver power much faster then the car battery. You are asking your battery to work twice as fast than it was built for.

This is all pure speculation. Makes sense I'm my head. Someone with more knowledge please chime in.

I would get a larger external battery to tie them to.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:51 am

@Zigmo: slick design :-)

Antz wrote:
From memory, about the most current draw I got out of a camera in a bunch of tests I did a couple of years ago was about 1.5amps peak on the 5D1.
Haven't tested my 5D2 for current.

I measured that a while ago on my 5D1 and I hit ~1.2Am, but only for a fraction of a second when the mirror goes up, everything that happens apart from that is in the 0.3-0,7A range if my memory serves me right.
These are the figures out of my head:
~0.3A - Expsosing the image
~0.6-0.7A - Running the DIGIC processor (after the image has been taken, viewing shots on LCD, etc.)
~1.1-1.3A - Moving the mirror upwards
Average power consumption depends on what you shoot (daytime vs night) so hard to predict, but with the above figures you should be able to guesstimate the numbers for your shot.

Best Regards
David

Vimeo <<->> flickr

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:47 am

Interesting thread!

I've been trying to do the same with a battery for the 5D mark II. So far I've been unsuccessful. I thought that removing the cells and electronics inside the battery, and then soldering two wires on the proper connectors (the two tiny ones, clearly labelled - and +) and connecting these to another battery with the correct voltage would do the trick, but apparently not!

At first I tried to connect to the original electronics inside the battery, but that wouldn't work either. Does the camera need some sort of input on either the "T" or "C"-connectors?

The battery I'm trying to connect the camera to has the correct voltage, and I have measured the pins on the now "fake" battery that I insert into the 5D, and they do receive power and the correct voltage.

The camera refuses to power on with my home made power supply, and I really don't know how to proceed.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:23 am

I have had a mix of success and failures with gutting batteries and using external packages, and like you I have run into cases where I just don't know why the camera won't accept the battery - such as, a Li-Ion battery pack will work but a NiMH pack will not even though battery grips can use NiMH batteries. For the 5D II I've been successful (disregarding one attempt where a blob of solder ended up connecting the terminals :oops:), taking out the battery cells but leaving the PCB in place (soldering to the output pins so the current doesn't actually go through the PCB). Looks like Zigmo removed the PCB though...

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I would think the right voltage would be the only requirement.

Ive had a chance to use it and works great. I have the camera, Little Bramper and a Meade head attached to a 7ah battery. Last around 5 hours on a full charge with all items running.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:39 am

Sounds like connecting the two terminals was a bad idea, flyvholm. I hope it did not lead to any damage to you or your equipment?

I can't understand why it would make a difference with other kinds of batteries? I'm using a NiMh-battery myself (the Canon BP 790, if I remember correctly). The correct voltage to the two pins required, and of course a battery that can deliver the amount of current needed, should really be the only things needed for it to work.

Is it possible that the dummy battery will not be fully pushed on to the terminals, when inserted in the camera? I do manage to close the battery door, though, so I can't imagine it to be a problem.

It is really frustrating - I want it to work!

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:18 am

No I'm not running two cameras from a stock battery, I'm running two cameras from a 7600mAh 7.2V battery (probably the same that's on the first post) via two fake batteries.

But for some reason they just don't work...Works fine on the other one, but the other camera says "change the battery" after a short moment even though there is clearly a lot of juice left in the battery...Also the battery level indicators work on both cameras, so obviously that's not what the electronics do on a T2i battery.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:57 am

Hmmm. I would try and isolate them with diodes and see if that solves the problem.

Mon May 02, 2011 6:28 am