It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:17 pm

D200 external power 

Post D200 external power
hi guy

im new here! ive been following the thread for sometime.

just wondering if i can get some advice on D200 external power solution.
i like to shoot some outdoor timelapse without AC power.
is there a cheaper option to connect my nikon D200 to an external power pack. so i can shoot longer timelapse?
any tips would be great!

currently i do have an AC adaptor, nikon EH-6

thanks!

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:58 am

Post Re: D200 external power
How many shots are you planning to take?

I've had the D200+Grip out before now with a pair of fully charged EN-EL3e batteries (Nikon ones, not cheap 3rd party batteries), and as long as image review is turned off, I've filled over 70GBs worth of cards with the batteries at barely half power.

The D200 basically uses as much power when it's turned on as it does when it's turned off when it's not actually taking a shot or writing out to the CF card (either way, it's still powering the LCD on top).

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:40 am

hi there

i dont have MB-D200 power grip. but i do have 2 nikon batteries
ive tried 30 sec exposure on 1 battery, it takes about 125 shots then the battery will dry out. (no LCD, no noise reductions.)
so i assume if i have the power grip with x2 batteries, it will take only 250 shots.
im hoping to take at least 999 shots.

ive seen lots of canon battery modified post and videos, but i havent found a nikon one yet.

there is this Quantum Instruments Turbo 3 Rechargeable Battery w/ SD10 Cable Kit
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... ttery.html
i can get, but cost $657.50 + shipping
last resort for me.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:18 am

Only 150 shots? That sounds a bit awful. Is this an official Nikon battery? how old is it? Do you get the same results when using the other battery? As it seems to be draining rather quickly.

I get a good few thousand images on a pair of batteries (although admittedly I haven't tried 30 sec exposure timelapse on the D200, but will give it a go today and let you know how many it gets).

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:24 am

Wow, you weren't kidding were you? I just got about 130 30 second exposures on a full battery. That's pretty crazy. Most of my exposures for timelapse top out around a second, which gives me loads of shots.

The EN-EL3e batteries are 1500mAh, so you'd want something pretty big I'd imagine if you're wanting to do something seriously long. What kind of total time are you looking at for a shooting sequence?

I wonder if it might be worth picking up one of those high capacity batteries for radio controlled cars and such (like 7200mAh), and putting together some kind of voltage regulator to knock it into line with what the D200 expects. You might have to see if you can hunt out a dead EH-6 on eBay to steal the plug from though.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:21 am

You might be interested in reading this:

http://tiku-astro.blogspot.com/2007/10/ ... part1.html

Since you already have the EH-6 that you could take the plug from, a high capacity external battery pack seems like a good option. You could buy either an 11.1V Li-Ion battery pack (e.g. check the options at all-battery.com) or for that matter a 12V battery will do as well - at least both those options work with my D3s.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:10 am

flyvholm wrote:
Since you already have the EH-6 that you could take the plug from

As they're kinda pricey, I'd be inclined to buy a cheap Hong Kong knock-off or a dead one on eBay to tear the plug off.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:54 am

That is usually the way to go, but in this case I have yet to see any knock-offs (or anything cheapish, say, sub-$50), and since I'm not willing to pay that much for a simple plug my solution was to use a utility knife to shave a bit off a mini Tamiya plug so that it fits in the socket over the two required pins. I'd prefer a real plug, but not at the price I've seen them so far...

To the original poster: Just to make clear, you don't need to sacrifice your AC adapter, just put in a connection so that the plug can be used with either the AC adapter or a battery pack. My advice would be to go on eBay, search "DC 5.5 2.1" (or "DC 5.5 2.5") and find barrel connectors for the job. Can be done with or without soldering; I prefer soldering as the end result is cleaner (and less failure prone if you did a decent job soldering).

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:38 pm

meettyrone wrote:
hi guy

im new here! ive been following the thread for sometime.

just wondering if i can get some advice on D200 external power solution.
i like to shoot some outdoor timelapse without AC power.
is there a cheaper option to connect my nikon D200 to an external power pack. so i can shoot longer timelapse?
any tips would be great!

currently i do have an AC adaptor, nikon EH-6

thanks!

Hi Meettyrone

www.hobbyking.com will sell you excellent 6000 mAh, 7.4v batteries for something like 25 bucks. That is 4 times the juice of the 1500mAh EN-EL3e battery that runs the D200. Now, if you have the 4 pin cable, and have the pinout figured out, you can easily connect the LiPo to the D200 with it. You could even buy a couple of those LiPos and have them parallel rigged such that your amps add up (4 6000 mAh batteries rigged in parallel would make one 7.4 volt, 24,000 mAh monster). If you do not have the cable, just buy a pair of alligator clips (black and red plastic covering, if you will, such as not to confuse polarities) and directly connect the alligator clips to the battery terminals so kindly exposed in the D200's MB-D200 grip. Just make sure you make a solid connection with the gators into the terminals (a small plier might be needed to get the gators into the grip) and have a nice connection at the other end, where your wires meet the LiPo. WE DO NOT WANT THAT LiPo SHORTING OUT!!!!!! I have tried this setup, works WONDERFULL if you understand and respect the nature of LiPo batteries. You will probably need an intelligent LiPo battery charger, but it is worth the investment. The Lipos are the best power to weight and volume option available, and they also have the advantage of operating in the native voltage the D200 uses (7.4v). If you have any doubts, just PM me and I will provide you with images.

Regards

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:59 pm