It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Generic vs genuine (official) batteries 

Post Generic vs genuine (official) batteries
I searched here on the forum but can't find an answer to my question.

I'm planning to add a third party battery grip to my Canon 60D (hopefully I'll have it in my hands in a few days) and I was thinking about the battery. Wich one do you use or think it's better? Generic or genuine (official)?

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Post Re: Generic vs genuine (official) batteries
I think it depends on your definition of generic.

I know people who use Duracell and other name brand alternatives to official Canon & Nikon batteries in their cameras and have zero problems. But, I know people who've fried grips and cameras by using unknown unnamed random 3rd party batteries too.

I think if you stick with a named brand (even if it's not the manufacturer of the camera), you can't really go wrong. If you're going with an unbranded, unknown manfacturer, you get what you pay for, and it's a gamble. The wife bought unbranded 3rd party generic batteries for her D100 a few years ago and never had any problems, but I've always gone with proper Nikons myself. Canon and Nikon can be funny about warranty claims if you use 3rd party batteries too.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:36 pm

I'll check eBay and see what I can find. And I think I'll have to forget about those you can get on DealExtreme website, those are really unknown brands.

Kaouthia wrote:
Canon and Nikon can be funny about warranty claims if you use 3rd party batteries too.

I'll keep that in mind.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Kaouthia wrote:
you get what you pay for

To put it this way, you generally don't get what you pay for when buying original brand accessories, and batteries are certainly an example of that. But it's somewhat a matter of taste. I think the risk you run by buying 3rd party batteries is pretty small. Lots of people on this forum do it, and I have yet to hear tales of peoples equipment getting destroyed. There are fairly reputable sellers and manufacturers of generic batteries too thanks to the overhead that original manufacturers are charging. E.g. you could take a look at sterlingtek.com, I've bought from there a couple of times myself. I'm brave enough that I mostly get them on eBay though. ;-)

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:06 pm

my experience with G11 batteries:

canon battery is great. B&H photo warranty sponsored chinese knockoff lasts 75%% as long as the canon, new.

is it cheaper, yes. is it worth it? depends on how long you need your batteries to last. So far I haven't ever run through BOTH batteries in a single day of shooting, I turn the LCD off as much as I can though.

7D probably similar, though DSLR batteries tend to last longer in general, due to greater camera efficiency.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:44 pm

flyvholm wrote:
Kaouthia wrote:
you get what you pay for

I think the risk you run by buying 3rd party batteries is pretty small. Lots of people on this forum do it, and I have yet to hear tales of peoples equipment getting destroyed.

The situation may be a bit more reliable now than it was a few years ago, but I've heard of a couple of people (as in, spoken to them personally) toasting cameras and grips on cheap batteries not doing what they're supposed to, and they had to claim on insurance (rather than on the warranty) because the manufacturer didn't cover it because it was a generic hong kong knock-off 3rd party battery - which ended up costing far more than what they saved by buying a cheap battery. I would be slightly more inclined to trust major brand names like Duracell though (but they're almost the same price as buying official anyway).

On a slightly less risky note, I've heard of many 3rd party batteries that simply don't hold the charge that official Nikon batteries do, or refuse to recharge any more after only 6 months of use (I'm still using batteries in my D100 that were bought with the camera nearly 9 years ago and still hold a great charge). Sure, a battery may be half the price, but if it lasts less than half as long, is it really any cheaper?

Whatever people want to use is up to them. But personally, it's not a risk I'm willing to take. When you go out and pay a grand or three on a camera, whats' an extra £30 for a spare battery?

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 am