It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:00 am

Newbie Battery Life Power Question 

Post Newbie Battery Life Power Question
Hey Guys, great site. I am very new to time lapse. I'm wanting to get into star time lapse. I shoot Nikon D7k and do not have any special power equipment. I'm making a trip out to Big Bend Ntl Park in a few months and want to take some good star lapses.

Q1: How long might I expect my battery so shoot repeating 30 sec intervals on, say, a 40F night?
Q1: is it ok to set up interval to just shoot until battery runs dry? Does that affect future battery life performance?

Basically I'm wondering if I can get a spare battery, set up and start shooting w main for a couple hours, quickly swap batteries and just let it shoot till battery runs dry...? Was going to do this if it would work and then charge them up in my truck the next morning.

Thanks!

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:09 am

Post Re: Newbie Battery Life Power Question
A friend on mine says she gets about 200-250 frames from her D7k with a single battery. (I shoot D300s and D700 and I get about 200 frames with a 30 sec exposure). I think that Jack Ripper may have a different experience with battery life. The issue about switching batteries you may move the camera when exchanging the batteries.

Scott

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:54 am

Post Re: Newbie Battery Life Power Question
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to set up camera tripod and make sure I can change battery wo moving or else i'll spend the $$ (which i don't want to) to get battery grip.

So no worries about running battery completely dead and affecting future battery life?

Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:08 am