It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:43 pm

power my nikon d700 with EH-5 AC Adapter and DC 12V Battery 

Post power my nikon d700 with EH-5 AC Adapter and DC 12V Battery
hello friends

i perches from eBay EH-5A EH-5 AC Adapter for Nikon

and i already have this DC 12V Portable 9800mAh Capacity Li-ion Super Rechargeable Battery Pack

and i want to combine the 2 of them in order to power my d700
so can any one pleas advise me what to do ?

i also Had the idea to use a UPS for PC since its have a battery and the voltage output from the UPS is okay
with the Nikon EH-5A , but the problem is that UPS are very heavy and once they working on a battery mode,
they will all wise make an alarm noise that you can't turn off.

i know i can take the alarm speaker out , but it's starting to be too complicate + the whigt is an imported factore

any way if any one have any good advise ? i will apritiet it !

thank you!

Sun May 27, 2012 12:50 am

Post Re: power my nikon d700 with EH-5 AC Adapter and DC 12V Batt
Using a UPS isn't all that practical for field operations unless you are plugged in to a power source, using the UPS as backup in case the power fails.

What you might try is cutting the cable off the A/C adapter and putting a DC/DC voltage converter/regulator between your cable and the battery.

I use this: DC/DC Converter Regulator Step up & Step down 2 in 1 or this: DC-DC Converter Buck Step Down Voltage Module

Mon May 28, 2012 8:33 am

Robwhite wrote:
Using a UPS isn't all that practical for field operations unless you are plugged in to a power source, using the UPS as backup in case the power fails.

What you might try is cutting the cable off the A/C adapter and putting a DC/DC voltage converter/regulator between your cable and the battery.

I use this: DC/DC Converter Regulator Step up & Step down 2 in 1 or this: DC-DC Converter Buck Step Down Voltage Module

hi rob thank you!
the 2 of them will work with the voltage of my battery to the AC ?
i am not so great with electricity
do you know about any tutorial ?

pleas!

and thanks again for your help!

Mon May 28, 2012 10:47 am

Here is a quick tutorial on how to connect the voltage adapter to a battery and A/C adapter dummy battery.

Tools needed are a mini flat-head screwdriver, a sharp utility knife or wire stripper, and a voltage meter.

Cut the cord on the A/C adapter, on the camera plug side, close to the A/C adapter voltage block.
Strip away about 2 cm of the black insulation revealing 2 wires, one black, one red.
Strip 5 mm of each of those wires to expose the bare wire inside.
Attach the red one to the OUT+ terminal, the black one to the OUT- terminal.
Tighten down the screws tightly. (you will need a mini screwdriver for this)

On the IN side, you will need a wire cable that has the compatible plug or socket that is on your battery. I can't be sure but it looks like a 5.5 x 2.1 mm size. You should be able to get a cord with the plug already on it at a good electronics store.

Strip the ends of each wire on the cord (about 5mm), look at the cord carefully. One wire will be solid black, one will have white markings on the insulation. Or they might be different colors. If it has the white markings, that is the negative - (minus) wire. If the wires are different colors, then the black one should be the negative. Ask when you buy if there is any confusion.

Put the Negative wire in the IN- the other in the IN+ and tighten the screws.
Plug in the battery, but do not insert the plug or dummy battery in to the camera.
Use a volt meter to check the voltage. (Hardware or electronics stores carry inexpensive meters)
Check the voltage on the IN side of the converter with the red wire on the +, black wire on the -. If the voltage shows on the meter as negative, the battery wires are backwards, so swap them.
Check the voltage on the OUT side of the converter.
Using a tiny flat screwdriver, turn the adjustment screw until the voltage on the meter reads 9.1 volts. (9.1 for most Nikon, 8.2 for most Canon cameras. Use the voltage plus .1 listed on the A/C adapter nameplate for that camera)
Insert the plug or dummy battery into the camera, power the camera on.
If the camera comes on and shows full battery, then everything is connected properly.
Take some test shots to make sure there is enough power to run the camera and everything runs smoothly.

Attached is a diagram showing the voltage converter, wires and location of the adjustment screw. Either will work fine, but the DC-DC Converter Buck Step Down Voltage Module is more efficient in converting the voltage.
Attachment:
Voltage Converter copy.jpg
Voltage Converter copy.jpg [ 30.03 KiB | Viewed 6571 times ]

If you are going to be using this outside, you might want to put the battery and voltage converter in a water resistant plastic box to protect them from the elements.

Disconnect the plug from the battery when you are not using the converter to prevent parasitic drain on the battery.

Hope this helps.

Mon May 28, 2012 12:17 pm

thats great !
thank you Rob
:D

Mon May 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Hey guys

This is great been looking for something like this for a long time now as NIkon does not make them for the D300 and D700 range.
Now obviously the unit will not be recommended by Nikon but what I would like to know is what is your opinion on the battery system "nikon"

We don't want anything to burn out on the camera due to power not being correct. So how and where have you used the external power on your camera D700?
Long exposures or not.

Joe

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 pm

One more thing gentlemen - How do you close the batt cover with the cable connected to that fake batt going into the batt compartment?

Joe

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Did you make a dummy battery or did you keep the plug on the end of the cable? Does your camera have the 4 pin DC socket in the accessory port area? Looking at the D700 Manual it seems it use the DC power port. If you made a Dummy battery, then you might need to cut a slot in the door to make room for the power cord.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Hey Rob

Thanks for that info.
I will send you a quick PM.

Joe

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:20 am

Great post Robwhite! Using this to build a power supply for my D800. One thing worth point out is that the Nikon's EH-5A power brick delivers 4.5A at 9V. A lot of the cheaper DC-DC buck converters I've found on eBay deliver max 3A. It may well be that 3A is more than sufficient but I'm erring on the side of caution and picking up something that is capable of matching the EH-5A.

See http://www.camerahacker.com/Forums/Digital%20Camera/Nikon/Name.Type_Power_connector_Nikon_D70..files.hidden/eh-5_label.jpg for a photo of the EH-5A power brick with specs.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:38 pm