It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:26 am

My version of a pelican case with 12V power. 

Post My version of a pelican case with 12V power.
At last, it's done.....

This is my version of a 12V portable battery inside a 1400 Pelican case. It's been a long few months of planing and building and I'm so excited to get this battery case out in the field, shooting timelapse non-stop!

Here some of the features of my 12V power battery case. Perfect for shooting rural ;-)
Firstly, it's fitted with 3x 12V 7.2aH batteries which gives me 12V and 21.6aH of power.
It has it's own regulator built in for when I am charging all the batteries simultaneously via a solar panel. When I have AC power I can then charge all the batteries via the same input port with my CTEK charger.

Then I have a Volt meter and Amp meter that reads the current that I use and the volts on the battery. It only gives me a reading when I press and hold down the push button. This helps for no extra power being used continuously and no light pollution or casts when shooting timelapses.

I then fitted it with 2x 12V female DC plugs and a 3rd one that bypasses the batteries when I have solar power connected. So this saves my batteries during the day. The 4th port is a 9.1V port for my Nikon camera uninterrupted power. No more changing batteries every 2 hours during my night-lapses :-)

Then there is just an ON - OFF switch and a 5A fuse on the power line for safety. The switch next to the charger input is for when I charge it via Solar or AC.

I used the spare space on the inside for silica gel to keep everything dry and added lots of spares, extra screws and so on.
For the lid I decided to get myself a canvas bag made, with clear plastic, for all my cables and extras.
Thanks to Rob White for assisting me via this post http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7875&p=49246&hilit=nikon+d700+power#p49246 so I could get my power hooked up from 12V to power the camera from it.

Attachment:
joe_louw_pelican_1.jpg
joe_louw_pelican_1.jpg [ 55.83 KiB | Viewed 3434 times ]

Attachment:
joe_louw_pelican_2.jpg
joe_louw_pelican_2.jpg [ 71.34 KiB | Viewed 3434 times ]

Attachment:
joe_louw_pelican_3.jpg
joe_louw_pelican_3.jpg [ 61.89 KiB | Viewed 3434 times ]

See more here: http://www.timelapsesa.co.za/about/bts-news

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Post Re: My version of a pelican case with 12V power.
That's a piece of art!
Great project!

Are you willing to share the schematics or DIY?

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:03 am

Exceptionally neat build. Did you do the inner panel with the meters and plugs by hand or laser cut? The lettering for the plugs and what not is a nice touch. How did you make the lettering on the panel? The tools pouch sure fits nice. Is that a Pelican product like the case? Where can I buy the tool pouch part? Powering the camera as well as everything else with one pack and recharging it with solar looks like a really useful thing to have.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:52 pm

sciencelookers wrote:
Exceptionally neat build. Did you do the inner panel with the meters and plugs by hand or laser cut? The lettering for the plugs and what not is a nice touch. How did you make the lettering on the panel? The tools pouch sure fits nice. Is that a Pelican product like the case? Where can I buy the tool pouch part? Powering the camera as well as everything else with one pack and recharging it with solar looks like a really useful thing to have.

Hey, I will reply a bit later today in detail, I will also send you a image of the updated version of my power case, here is a image in the mean time.
http://timelapsesa.co.za/blog/item/the-pro-dolly-out-in-the-field

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:37 pm

sciencelookers wrote:

OK like I said here the update to your questions.
The panel was done on the 1st one with Perspex plastics and laser cut.
The 2nd one was done aluminium and text was lazered on.
The bag for cables was custom made, that is also the second one, 1st one only had one pouch the 2nd have 3 dividers in.
I can now power 2 Nikons and 2 Canon plus have 4 x 12V ports and 5V for USB charging
I can read the Volts and Amps using and used
I can charge via solar and AC
I can give a power to the case via a big car battery if I need to run for a very long time - just using the panel then.

Here the images.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Great looking unit with lots of options while in the field. I have three similar unit in the pipeline with one almost finished. These use dual 18Ah batteries since I have to power the rig as well. I've also setup to use the units with lights. One thing I have completed though is the charger unit which is setup to charger a maximum of five SLA batteries and two at a time. I've have an inverter to use with a 80W solar panel while outback. The pics are on my electronics blog which include a bit of a run down if anyone is interesting - http://amongstprojects.blogspot.com.au/.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm