It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Canon 1d MkII DC-E1 

Post Canon 1d MkII DC-E1
Does anyone know what type of jack is on this dummy battery? The 1DMkII runs of 12v so no worries about voltage conversion etc, but I need to find out the jack size so I can look for a cable for it. It's has a pin in the middle. I can't find it anywhere. Help would be greatly appreciated as I just need a cigarette lighter cable to run this form a 12v battery.

Thanks.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:42 am

Post Re: Canon 1d MkII DC-E1
HOwdy Javashine,

I had a little look at what you need. I'm presuming you already have the dummy battery part. From what I can tell it's dc plug. Not sure what country you are from but if you do a Google image search with dc connector as the search item you'll get a pile of images showing the many various sizes. If you are in the US then I'd go into a Radio Shack. Going into the store means you can take your camera and see which one fits. Keeping in mind the the hole in the centre of these connectors are also different. You can get the correct outside size but the inside maybe to large and thus no contact. AND the big check is that you've got the polarity correct on the plug, wrong way and say goodbye to your camera. You could also probably get a cable which has a cigarette plug on one end and a multi plug adaptor on the other end. But please make sure the polarity is correct. You are the one taking that risk. Good luck.

Steve R.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:05 pm

I have an extra PA-V16 A/C adapter from my old 1ds2 thats unused & still sealed in the plastic from Canon. If you can't find the correct plug anywhere and if you want to just buy the A/C set let me know.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up guys.

So I just bought a few heads that looked similar until I got the one that fit. Hooking it up today as I had to get a new multimeter, I don't want to fry the camera!

Man I'm always nervous about this stuff.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:01 am

I presume you know whether the middle pin is positive or negative. The middle is NOT always positive. I wonder if Gregman can measure his to find which is positive.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:32 pm

amongstmyselves wrote:
I presume you know whether the middle pin is positive or negative. The middle is NOT always positive. I wonder if Gregman can measure his to find which is positive.

tell me how to do this?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Do you have a multimeter ? That's probably a silly question because if you did have one you'd probably know how to measure the power connector :-)

Ahh. I had a look at someone's pictures of their DC-E1 sale on ebay and from what I can see there is standard polarity marking on the back of the dc plug which goes into the dummy battery module. It has a semi-circle with a dot in the middle and these parts will be labelled + and -. This basically shows you that the dot in the middle is the pin and the outer circle is the ring on the outside of the plug. Can you take a photo of your and post ?

From another picture of the unit I also noticed that the similar picture is on the rear of the transformer unit that you plug into the mains. I've circled the area in the picture attached. Unfortunately the image is to small to see what the polarity is.

Attachments:
Canon DC-E1.png
Canon DC-E1.png [ 113 KiB | Viewed 3608 times ]

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:27 pm

crappy iphone pic and thru the plastic

Attachment:
photo.JPG

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:49 pm

hey gregman that is all that's needed. As you can see from the photo the pin in the centre is positive and the outside is negative. Clear as day !

Just another note Javashrine is that the output of the transformer that gregman has shown gives out a max of 1.8Amps. You'll need to make sure that you have enough current as well.

But all is here for you to get it working. Good luck.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:57 pm

I found the heads but alas, when I went to assemble it, the cable I had from the cigarette lighter connections were much too big to solder without risk of touching and I also couldn't get them through the sheath and without the head in one piece, pulling out the cable left the risk of pulling the cable from the head.

What I did instead was to cut the actual cable from the power supply (I have two, so I could use one). I stripped it down and just used a cable connector to join the head with the cable (the original Canon moulded cable and head) to the power supply. I checked the polarity the whole way through with a multimeter (it actually stopped working the night before I was to head out to shoot so it was a rush to grab a new one the next morning and double check it all) and it was okay. Pos to pos and neg to neg at every connection.

So, the cable is there, but I still haven't plugged it in, I ended up just shooting one night shot and used the 5DII. But since the polarity is correct I have no worries that it works. I'll be using it again for sure next week in the Alps so it's now on to power conservation!

A final question. Where the connections are that I made using the wire connectors (I hope you know what sort of things I mean. The little plastic housing bodies with 2 screws in them) will I lose power or anything like that?

Also, thanks for explaining what the diagram on the back means, Another piece of knowledge to add to my growing electronic skills :)

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:10 am

Hey Javashrine,

Good to see things are moving along and working so far.

It sounds like the cable on the cigarette lighter was heavy duty which you don't need. From the specs on the back of the power supply for the camera it says it will supply 1.8A at 13v which is only 24 watts. So what you are saying is that you simply cut off the cable from your spare power supply and have used a cable connector. From your description it sounds like a terminal block. What you are asking is whether the you'll lose power through this terminal block. No you will not. It's not the idea setup as you could trip or stand on the cable and it would probably rip the wires out thus making it unreliable and vunerable. I would suggest purchasing something more sealed and more reliable but if you are happy with it and it works then I have no concern.

I'd be quite happy to make one up for the cost of the materials and the postage. You can buy ones like the image shown but since the plugs are interchangable you can accidently put the polarity around the wrong way when changing plugs. That's the end of the camera. I've done this once but luckily it got fixed under warranty.

Steve R.

Attachments:
productLarge_13612.jpg
productLarge_13612.jpg [ 19.65 KiB | Viewed 3564 times ]

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:44 am

Thanks for the offer, but it works fine as it is. And if the wires accidentally get pulled out, then it's no worries, I always have the tool kit at hand to fix them back in. I saw some of the interchangeable head kits but I decided to just go dedicated so certain cables were only for certain appliances so there could be no mistake when setting everything up. (We use a 2, sometimes 3, camera set up and for us now it just seems to be easier to have everything together for each camera packed and labelled.)

Seems it was a heavy duty cig lighter indeed. The thing is, I run several things from the cig lighters and it serves but I see guys using xlr cables for power which to me would be much more robust but my main problem is always finding the correct ends to convert back to the camera/motor/heater heads etc. Even finding the right clips for the 12v batteries was a pain for me. And wiring these little feckers was also much more work than it should have been (I assume!).

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:42 am

No problem. Main thing is you have a workable system. Happy timelapse !

Steve R.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:07 pm