It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Power consumption on 5D MkII 

Post Power consumption on 5D MkII
So with the Canon 5D MkII I could choose to shoot timelapses in Live View Mode, and the LCD-screen will consume power, or in normal mode with the LCD-screen turned off. Witch option would give the longest duration of battery power? Any hints?

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:13 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Power consumption on 5D MkII
deepseas wrote:
So with the Canon 5D MkII I could choose to shoot timelapses in Live View Mode, and the LCD-screen will consume power, or in normal mode with the LCD-screen turned off. Witch option would give the longest duration of battery power? Any hints?

Live View with Review Time shut off would give you the most power, because it saves having to raise and lower the mirror with each exposure. I have shot 1,100 20-sec exposures with just two batteries in the grip! And I had a 2-sec review time! With no review time on the LCD, I imagine those numbers would go up even further. For regular exposure shots, in fractions of a second, you could probably fire off 5,000 - 10,000 shots on the 5D2 in Live View with the grip, maybe even without it. The 5D2's batteries are the best I have ever seen for any camera, by a mile.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:59 am

timescapes wrote:
Live View with Review Time shut off would give you the most power, because it saves having to raise and lower the mirror with each exposure. I have shot 1,100 20-sec exposures with just two batteries in the grip! And I had a 2-sec review time! With no review time on the LCD, I imagine those numbers would go up even further. For regular exposure shots, in fractions of a second, you could probably fire off 5,000 - 10,000 shots on the 5D2 in Live View with the grip, maybe even without it. The 5D2's batteries are the best I have ever seen for any camera, by a mile.

I was able to shoot around 1.000 frames with the fully charged standard battery and a 10 sec. interval.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:31 am

If you are after the most exposures, turn off the live view and review, and also disengage the lens to stop the aperture from resetting between shots (and remove aperture flicker).
These days I'll just set the shot up, then hold down the DP button then rotate the lens about 6mm, enough to disengage the contacts, but still be firmly attached to the camera.
The LCD display draws quite a bit of power, so best not to have it come on at all.
The batteries in the Canon cameras for the last year or so have been pretty good. I have been most impressed with both the 5D2 and the XSi. I have got well over 1000 shots a couple of times at 20 second intervals overnight, and found it still going strong in the morning outside at around 0F / -18C.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:52 pm

Antz wrote:
If you are after the most exposures, turn off the live view and review, and also disengage the lens to stop the aperture from resetting between shots (and remove aperture flicker).
These days I'll just set the shot up, then hold down the DP button then rotate the lens about 6mm, enough to disengage the contacts, but still be firmly attached to the camera.
The LCD display draws quite a bit of power, so best not to have it come on at all.

Thanks, but I have already turned the review off – and was going with the Liveview after the advice by timescapes. The temperature was around 15 degrees Celsius. So if I want the most exposures the power consumption would be less with the mirror flipping up and down, compared to the power used by the LCD in Liveview mode..?

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:20 pm

deepseas wrote:
Antz wrote:

Thanks, but I have already turned the review off – and was going with the Liveview after the advice by timescapes. The temperature was around 15 degrees Celsius. So if I want the most exposures the power consumption would be less with the mirror flipping up and down, compared to the power used by the LCD in Liveview mode..?

That's a very good question ! However the other thing to consider is the 150,000 exposure durability.
I understand the main reason the shutter fails is that the mirror packs up !

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Antz wrote:
I

Antz, when you set the shot up I assume you set your manual focus, set aperture, ISO and shutter speed and then twist the lens 6mm or so to clear the conacts?
Is the "DP" button the lens release button?
matt b

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:13 am

matt b wrote:
Antz wrote:
I

Antz, when you set the shot up I assume you set your manual focus, set aperture, ISO and shutter speed and then twist the lens 6mm or so to clear the conacts?
matt b

The DP button must be the Depth of field preview button.... Just tried it out, works just fine. I´m sticking to the Liveview mode for a while, in order not to wear the mirror motor.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:05 am

unozig wrote:
I understand the main reason the shutter fails is that the mirror packs up!

I've never heard that the mirror is at fault for the shutter breaking - in that case the new mirrorless models (e.g. Panasonic G1/GH1) should do better. Do you have any references?

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:09 am

I've been shooting a bit of stop motion and some time I accidently leave the live view on (on the camera not on the computer) - it chews up the battery really good - if I turn the live view off on the camera I can shoot much more - also with live view on some people on some lenses are noticing a vignetting around the edges - I should check this on my latest shot as I did two similar shots, one with live view accidently on and one without it - I am also looking at getting the AC power adapter for the 5d mk II and then I won't worry about the battery.

on another front doesn't leaving the camera in live view tend to heat up the sensor - probably not a problem for Antz - but those of us not shooting in a refrigerated climate that may pose a problem.

timt

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:15 am

matt b wrote:
Antz wrote:
I

Antz, when you set the shot up I assume you set your manual focus, set aperture, ISO and shutter speed and then twist the lens 6mm or so to clear the contacts?
matt b

Yup, basically set up everything in manual, then hold down the Depth of Field Preview button and disengage the lens by about 6mm at the same time. This will retain the aperture setting.
I'll usually set the focus with auto-focus, then disengage the lens without changing it, this way I am not wearing out the MF switch on the lens (I already have one lens with a dodgy switch now due to over-use).
I figure it must eventually wear out the lens iris too if it resets with every shot, so that is another good reason to disengage it, especially with the expensive L series lenses.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Antz wrote:
matt b wrote:
Antz wrote:
I

Antz, when you set the shot up I assume you set your manual focus, set aperture, ISO and shutter speed and then twist the lens 6mm or so to clear the contacts?
matt b

Yup, basically set up everything in manual, then hold down the Depth of Field Preview button and disengage the lens by about 6mm at the same time. This will retain the aperture setting.
I'll usually set the focus with auto-focus, then disengage the lens without changing it, this way I am not wearing out the MF switch on the lens (I already have one lens with a dodgy switch now due to over-use).
I figure it must eventually wear out the lens iris too if it resets with every shot, so that is another good reason to disengage it, especially with the expensive L series lenses.

.......and I thought the DP button meant that when you pressed it you were able to summon a Director of Photography immediately to your location for advice!

I was shooting a HD tvc at 1fps continually for up to 4 hours twice a day for a week. I started with 8 x 40D cameras in 6 locations and by the end of the shoot - 5 had failed. (the dreaded 'ERROR 99')
I was working them pretty hard but the cost of normal HD camera hire x 8 versus buying a bunch of extra bodies made it a cost effective exercise.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:52 pm

flyvholm wrote:
unozig wrote:
I understand the main reason the shutter fails is that the mirror packs up!

I've never heard that the mirror is at fault for the shutter breaking - in that case the new mirrorless models (e.g. Panasonic G1/GH1) should do better. Do you have any references?

When picking up a repair at an Official Canon Repair centre, UK.
I asked the technician...
Q. how long will my Canon 5D shutter last and cost to repair?
A. Almost always the mirror would pack up well before the sensor! £200

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 pm

unozig wrote:

I'm afraid I don't even understand what that means ("mirror pack up"). Can anybody enlighten me?

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:21 pm

flyvholm wrote:
unozig wrote:

I'm afraid I don't even understand what that means ("mirror pack up"). Can anybody enlighten me?

UK English: Mirror pack up
US English: Mirror fail

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Antz wrote:
UK English: Mirror pack up
US English: Mirror fail

:oops:

I can't help but think the mirror getting mixed into shutter failures may have been a mistake though - have never heard that before, and if it's the case we should indeed be using mirror lock when possible.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:48 am

Using liveview locks the mirror too? As Tom mentioned before for the 5D, liveview also draws less current in case of the 50D!

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:39 am
Site Admin

I don't know the answer as to whether the battery life will last longer with liveview on or off. My guess is that it will last a lot longer with liveview ON, because it doesn't have to physically raise and lower the mirror. Plus it seems to put less wear on tear on the beast. And mirror lockup steadies the shot. I guess, in theory, you could shoot with the mirror locked up, even out of liveview, but I have never tried it.

Sun May 10, 2009 8:35 am

timescapes wrote:
I don't know the answer as to whether the battery life will last longer with liveview on or off. My guess is that it will last a lot longer with liveview ON, because it doesn't have to physically raise and lower the mirror. Plus it seems to put less wear on tear on the beast. And mirror lockup steadies the shot. I guess, in theory, you could shoot with the mirror locked up, even out of liveview, but I have never tried it.

I have investigated the 5d MkII manual, and it seems that "constant" mirror lock is not an option, with the mirror lock function enable the first push on the shutter button raises the mirror, next push fires the shutter and lowers the mirror, so you will still get the raise and lowering of the mirror with mirror lock enabled...page 101

Sun May 10, 2009 10:21 am
Site Admin

Yeah. That's really only useful for extremely long-lens shots and a handful of other niche scenarios. No savings on power.

Sun May 10, 2009 12:59 pm

timescapes wrote:

Recently got this nice tip - Turn LiveView on and then put in a video out cable ( no need for a monitor) This keeps the mirror up and the screen off

I see this is an old post, so maybe a lot of people are upto date :)

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:10 am

gautam wrote:
I see this is an old post

It took 6 months for somebody to report the spam post above to Tom? ;)

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:18 am

Kaouthia wrote:
gautam wrote:
I see this is an old post

It took 6 months for somebody to report the spam post above to Tom? ;)

Deleted it and blocked the IP.
Certainly if anyone sees a spam post, report it, and one of us moderators will deal to it.
We don't always see them ourselves, so reporting them will ensure they are removed fairly fast.
Antz.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Quote:
my main concern would be people helping themselves to usable resolution copies of my work without me knowing about it

Understandable, ts-e. But many people who try to protect their work with watermarks etc are themselves using music in the clips for which they do not actually have copyright. I would have thought that if a time-lapser is going to "borrow" someone`s music, then he should accept the risk of someone else "borrowing" his video piece.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:45 pm