It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:01 am

Dumping my DSLR and moving to Compact ...... Why? 

Post Dumping my DSLR and moving to Compact ...... Why?
Ok.... Why?

I have been trying for 2 years now to develop a keyframing MoCo system. I want to own a unit that it truly portable that captures what I consider to be interesting timelapse ... i.e. lots of multidimensional movement via manipulation of image capture in space. I also want to be able to carry all the kit required in a backpack .... Along with my lunch and rain gear ( I live in the UK).

I have really tried to convince myself that a DSLR is the way to go, but when I eventually set up the zoom/focus steppers on the lens, looked at the pan/tilt and realised that the moments of intertia involved needed even more metal to be appied to support and stabilise ......... (And this was before I balanced it on a dolly) .....I realised that I was barking up the wrong tree. I simply cannot see a fully keyframed system using a DSLR working with a full set of coordinated axial and linear moves .... Not in a truly portable system. Too much weight, GofG is too high and the whole thing is too dynamic when the steppers kick in.

It can be done of course in a controlled environment when weight is not an issue and/or if you can get transport to the site (some really inspirational suff on this site in this area) but I doubt if I can be done when it has to be carried on a single persons back ...... With lunch and the rain gear............... (In winter also a flask ...... of tea :) )

So ..... It's Compacts for me from now on.

Here is a design for a pan/tilt that weighs 750gm. It will 16th microstep at 50:1. The CofG is 8cms above the slide. Zoom/focus/trigger/download and other stuff will hopefully be via USB/PTP. Tilt will follow in the next design. OK it will have limitations but hey I get timelapse with movement and I get my lunch :)

Below is hand drawn by the way ..... Don't like CAD ....... It will be also hand built (drill, saws files etc)...

Compact Pan-Tilt by SiriusJohn, on Flickr

Thanks for reading ;) The only reason I have posted this is to share my enthusiasm :D

JohnB

"tick-tock ....click-clock ...."

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Post Re: Dumping my DSLR and moving to Compact ...... Why?
John,

Sounds eminently sensible to me. The SLR was produced in the middle of the last century to allow an accurate viewfinder on film cameras with interchangeable lenses. Heavy pentaprisms and clacking mirrors made sense in 1960, but they only made sense in the early days of the digital era because of the human preference for something we already understand, the fact that all our existing lens collections were designed to have a large separation between the rear element and the focal plane plus some technical issues including autofocus performance. The dSLR is nothing more than a brief, soon to be extinct, intermediate step in the evolution of the stills camera.

What we are now seeing are high performance camera bodies and interchangeable lenses designed from scratch to work with the new digital sensors available. Professional quality features on the camera and images to match from a much smaller machine. The SLR dinosaur has dominated the scene for over 60 years. It's time to move on.

Having said all that, I've been spending my money on other new toys lately so won't be replacing my Sony A57 anytime soon. At least it hasn't got the clacking mirror of the older A350 it shares lenses with.

Kit

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:54 pm

I like the idea, especially if you can control the focus and zoom with software. I like the drawing even if it doesn't show the guts of it. If you can hit that size for the P/T head relative to the little camera, and less than a kilo, I think more people will be trying it. I'd leave all the gear i currently own behind if i could get something this compact and keyframable into one backpack.

I recently got a Pelican 1510 case and the Ruc-Pac strap kit that converts it into a backpack. The case is watertight, which should protect from your rain. Its made to fit under an airline seat except some airlines now have even smaller seats, but its still great for travelling. Of course it has the cubed foam to shock-protect your stuff. The Ruc-Pac straps are well padded with foam so its comfortable to backpack the case. I bet you can fit an entire motion control system in there and still have room for a lunchbox with thermos, and even a well folded raincoat.

The Ruc-pac backpack conversion for pelican cases can be bought here.

http://www.rucpac.com/home.html

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:16 pm

I understand you John. It can quickly get into Sherpa territory. I have a spinal cord injury and bad knees and this issue is getting more relevant for me.
But what do you mean by "too dynamic when the steppers kick in"? Could you briefly explain to someone who has never used a stepper motor before? Thanks

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:00 am

John,

I dropped DSLR's over a year ago for much of the same reasons, lightweight camera gear became paramount for me because i like to hike to remote areas and lugging around 45lbs is a pain in the butt.

I moved over to m43, specifically the Olympus OMD. It is weather shielded, lightweight, it has a great articulating screen to check the framing on low angles, a shutter release port, very solid built quality and is fairly small. And while the sensor is not quite as big as aps-c sensors it has excellent dynamic range(at least Nikon D90/Canon 7D), excellent colors, very sharp and wonderful optics, and compared to DSLR is very inexpensive. With the IBIS and AF shut off i can get about 800-1000 images per battery charge while doing timelapse.

I am really spoiled over modern camera tech, for me going to a small compact with the tiny sensor and low dynamic range would always end up disappointing me, i have not seen a compact camera that can ever compare to mirrorless, m43, or dslr cameras.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:45 am

Apologies for late reply ... Out and about yesterday.

Thanks for the posts :D

I tend to agree with everything that has been said. I think that current DSLR designs are the culmination the various step changes in technology over the last 50 years. I also think that they give an incredible amount of versatility and range. No disrespect to DSLR'S intended (I own a few and have bought glass recently)

...... But ...... I don't think they suit the specific task I have in mind.... That's all ...

The target weight for me is 2-3Kg including camera and batteries. For this I want keyframed pan/tilt/dolly/focus/zoom. That is all I want to carry. Plus the rain gear of course ;)

Hi Ian, portability is the main driver for me..... Re "too dynamic when the steppers kick in" .. I was referring to the inertia issue. The controller I use pulses each axis in turn to achieve the next frame position. To get the speed I pulse in microseconds. Each move takes milliseconds. (The number of interframe steps vary to achieve acceleration/deceleration in the final video). So when the system kicks in to move everything to the next orientation it has to cope with almost instantaneous loads. The weight of kit counters the torque during pulsing (inertia) so the system has to cope with a lot. I also achieve sort of realtime moves by letting the system pulse at its max speed. This puts a lot of stress on the whole thing. The weight of the steppers on the lens was the point of realisation for me. You have too many torsional issues going on. The whole rig is too dynamic. You can sort it via stiffening but that makes weight.

Reduce the overall weight (camera/lens motors) and the problems go away.

Also, Reduced camera/rig weight = smaller steppers = reduced current = reduced battery capacity ........ = reduced weight. ..... The whole thing scales down.

My view is that I only need to acquire so many pixels at a reasonable quality. Post can take care of the rest. Interpolation and compression beats the pixels up anyway. Getting the kit to a good location easily and making it foolproof and reliable is the main thing. Hope this explains the comment a bit better :D

Anyway off to my little workshop now to do do some filing.

A picture of my starting point :

KeframeMoco - Compact Bits by SiriusJohn, on Flickr

Will post later

JohnB

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:53 am

Just got the unit together. I had to use 2 off band aids (Elastoplasts). Filing does not suit me nowadays.

Final weight 728 grams including camera ex. batteries (not the final camera though - 497 grams without camera). Microsteps at 0.00225 degrees. C of G 60mm above dolly/slide table.

Now I need to tidy up the mess I made making this thing ;)

Pictures >>

© 2013 KeyframeMoCo Compact Pan-Tilt by SiriusJohn, on Flickr

© KeyframeMoCo Compact Pan-Tilt by SiriusJohn, on Flickr

© KeyframeMoCo Compact Pan/Tilt by SiriusJohn, on Flickr

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:01 am

WOW, oh my, um, oh, like wow man!
That was fast. I guess you don't waste any time.
What an amazing fit for that little camera. Also an amazing labor of love to do this without CNC tools.
I've seen people make some amazing stuff on this forum, but this is extraordinary. Literally breathtaking.
I really, really gotta get me one of these. Really!

I know you realize what a dream this is. Your little keyframable MOCO controller is going to be amazing when paired with this.
These things are way, way ahead of anything you can go out and buy today. Getting a normal MOCO rig to a remote location looks like a safari movie with a whole line of guys carrying all the stuff (or one exhausted guy struggling under a pile of gear weighing almost as much as the guy). I know this because I've done it both ways. This is it! This would do it. Combining this with a lightweight, collapsible dolly is going to totally change the way motion control is done on location.

I know you tried to sell the keyframable code and got shrugged off by anyone with the means to mass produce. That doesn't mean those guys aren't idiots. By comparison, my resources are very modest, but if there is any way I can help or become a part of your project, please let me know. Congratulations on some truly awesome accomplishments my friend.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:26 am

JohnB wrote:
Just got the unit together. I had to use 2 off band aids (Elastoplasts). Filing does not suit me nowadays.

Final weight 728 grams including camera ex. batteries (not the final camera though - 497 grams without camera). Microsteps at 0.00225 degrees. C of G 60mm above dolly/slide table.

Now I need to tidy up the mess I made making this thing ;)

A neat looking unit John, good to see it is all coming together for you. My latest project 5Kg + and getting heavier ;)

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:29 am

Hi John looking very nice like the idea of trying to build smallest rig possible great challenge . Dont know if you come across these gear boxes http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/gearboxes/0332868/ tiny with huge reductions. Made a very small rig once but those boxes do have backlash issues but can be worked round i had little weights pre loading them . It worked :D

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:42 am

Your ultra-light plans look very interesting John and I`m sure many of us here will be following what you do closely. I guess "compact" will spell "daytime" ultimately though? I can`t see a way around full frame cameras and wide aperture lenses for astrolapses etc just yet. Not for the best results anyway.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:14 am

sciencelookers wrote:
WOW, oh my, um, oh, like wow man!
That was fast. I guess you don't waste any time.

Thanks sciencelookers. Very much appreciated. I actually enjoyed drawing it up and making it. Need to see if it works now. I think I will build a small dolly to test first and then go on to experiment with the in-camera stuff. My only objective really is to reduce the amount I have to carry :D I have seen some lovely vistas in the past but they are usually high up. This is what I want to capture. Daylight .... open areas ......

Quote:
A neat looking unit John, good to see it is all coming together for you. My latest project 5Kg + and getting heavier

Thanks Mike struggling with it but I will get somewhere .... not sure where yet though :D

Quote:
Hi John looking very nice like the idea of trying to build smallest rig possible great challenge . Dont know if you come across these gear boxes http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/gearboxes/0332868/ tiny with huge reductions. Made a very small rig once but those boxes do have backlash issues but can be worked round i had little weights pre loading them . It worked

Thanks Displacment, Thanks for the link. I will check out that gearbox. I have gone down the traditional worm gear route and tried to get a tight mesh. I will still get some movement though. The forward loading of tilt does work. I used to use the weight of the lens on the last rig but I think I will need a little arm and weight here though. On the pan I will get my maplin box of springs out once more :D

Quote:
Your ultra-light plans look very interesting John and I`m sure many of us here will be following what you do closely. I guess "compact" will spell "daytime" ultimately though? I can`t see a way around full frame cameras and wide aperture lenses for astrolapses etc just yet. Not for the best results anyway.

Thanks Ian, You are right. It is a compromise. I still have my other heavier rig for the DSLR ... its just too heavy to travel far with though and it's limited to pan/tilt/zoom/focus. I do hope to enhance performance a bit in certain areas on this light weight attempt though. I want to try automatic focus stacking and HDR bracketing within the generated moves if I can. I also want to play with some of the other in-camera parameters. The main focus for me though is generating fluid movement. I like this concept of accurate single frame placement in space being used to create smooth transitions/accelerations/decelerations. It spatially appeals . You can have many dimensions and you can flex time in different ways. That's what keeps me interested :D

Thanks again for all the posts. Will post again once the full multi axis test is complete. I want to keyframe using dolly/pan/tilt first to see what happens. Got some bits this morning to make a dolly :D

JohnB

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:20 am

JohnB,
Have you thought of doing this for real-time video using the Black Magic Pocket Camera? OK, no timelapse, but therefore no annoying cloud flicker either, and plants/flowers/seas moving like they should, not vibrating furiously and unnaturally. And no compromise in picture quality/dynamic range (raw).

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Ian wrote:
JohnB,
Have you thought of doing this for real-time video using the Black Magic Pocket Camera? OK, no timelapse, but therefore no annoying cloud flicker either, and plants/flowers/seas moving like they should, not vibrating furiously and unnaturally. And no compromise in picture quality/dynamic range (raw).

Hi Ian, great suggestion .... Brilliant camera spec .... Thanks .... :D I have tested real-time video capture with my current keyframe system. i am currently using a lightweight prosumer HD 3CCD Unit and would dearly like to try the camera mentioned. The system I am working on actually does both timelapse and video. For video I simply introduce a lapse interval that achieves the desired frame rate (adjusted for processing time). At the moment the system runs at 30fps so the interval for video capture is 0.033 sec (adjusted). The overall framerate though is also adjustable so you can also do 24fps etc if the programme is modified. In the timelapse examples shown here the preview works this way. I just need to enable increased speed for better video response which I am doing on this new unit. I will then test once more. Tend not to post my non timelapsed stuff here though!

Having looked at the specs and the price of the Black Magic unit I will probably invest :D

Thanks for suggesting ..... It will cost me money as I can't resist new technology ;)

John

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Linear slide design now complete so just thought that I would post a scan of what I am building (just started filing the first parts).

It will weigh about 750 gms and will have 900mm travel. I can be used in horizontal, inclined or vertical mode. Power consumption is vastly reduced by introducing an optional counterweight (In practice this will be a rock picked up at the site :) ).

It will step at 0.023568 mm/step when microstepping and my calcs tell me it will be able to travel at 80cms/secs when driven in combination with pan/tilt/[roll] and the KayframeMoCo controller. .... Pan/tilt should do about 80deg/sec.... So I am hoping video will be possible.

Anyway here is the drawing:

[Image
© 2013 KeyframeMoCo Compact Linear Slide by SiriusJohn, on Flickr

Hope this is of interest to some.

JohnB

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:07 am

Nice looking design John! I especially like the placement of the motor beneath one end of the track and the integral tilt-plate. Amazing you thought of the tilt plate right at the start instead of using the dolly for a while before realizing it needed the tilt plate. Everybody, and I do mean EVERYBODY does it the other way around. Its so non-obvious that nobody buys my tiltplate designed to fit the stage zero dolly exactly, they just pile one P/T head on top of another and pretend its not top-heavy, wobbly and looking terribly unprofessional. (Thanks also for the opportunity to advertise my tilt-plate in this post.) I hope you are successful selling this stuff. I think your hardware is much better thought out than just about any of the commercial products on the market at this point. I definitely plan on buying copies of all this stuff if you ever get it produced and marketed in numbers. Once again, a very well designed item. Congrats on doing a better job on your first dolly design than most professional manufacturers do on their second or third attempt.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks sciencelookers ... Much appreciated. You are right re the tilt plate ...... it is a bit obvious to me also. The closer the moving mass is to the slide the better and if you have pan/tilt you have the other two axes to play with anyway.

I suppose that it doesn't matter if you drive the slide at steady speed, but with steppers (especially with sudden repetitive movements) then the closer you have the pan/tilt CofG to the linear drive the better. Ideally the moments of inertia need to be balanced around a single nodal point for pan/tilt/roll and this nodal point needs to be as close to the slide as physically possible (just my opinion though).

Anyway once I get this last bit finished and the pan/tilt fitted I really want to let the processor rip. To date I have not allowed movement at top speeds because of the inertia issues. I now want to see what happens when I let this lighter unit run the way it REALLY wants to (I am also going to overclock the processor) :) In my current system I'm currently realigning all axes to hit the calculated orientations approx 30 times a second using built in interframe holds. I want to see what happens when I let it max out without constraint.

By the way I have had to revise the dolly design already. Now using 15mm Alum square section and bolted end plates (wing nuts) to allow dismantling and to allow for increased inertia loads. Drive arrangement the same though. I hope it's the final design (maybe/maybe not) Should post results in a few weeks (if it survives testing!!!)

Hope you sell some tilt plates ...... They make complete sense :-)

Thanks again for the positive post. gotta go now ... Lots of filing and drilling to do ... The best bit is hand finishing with wire wool .... Not there yet though!

John

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am

Hi JohnB,

If I undertood your earlier post right - the simultaneous movement of the powerful stepper motors is too much for many systems (eg emotimo?) and this throws them off. If this is the case have you thought of Dynamic Perception`s upcoming VX1 pan-tilt head? It can handle heavy loads. I know lightweight is your aim, but am just wondering whether such a head would be part of the solution.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi, John, maybe another contender to spend your money on ;)
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gx7_review.shtml

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:00 am

Ian wrote:
Hi JohnB,

If I undertood your earlier post right - the simultaneous movement of the powerful stepper motors is too much for many systems (eg emotimo?) and this throws them off. If this is the case have you thought of Dynamic Perception`s upcoming VX1 pan-tilt head? It can handle heavy loads. I know lightweight is your aim, but am just wondering whether such a head would be part of the solution.

Hi Ian, I probably need to clarify just to be on the safe side. One of my objectives is to enable realtime preview and I also want to be able to capture video in realtime (non DC driven). To do this I have to pulse at pretty high speeds and reorientate all axes in unison very quickly. This puts a lot of stress on the system (without going into it, the problem I have is a feature of the particular way I do it :) ). With time lapse (without realtime) and/or if you use other methods for control that involve more distributed control it does not matter so much. Hope this explains.

Re the VX1 it is one beautiful piece of engineering and it looks the business. I doubt if it will suffer from the issues I am experiencing and I suspect that it will be controlled differently.

My problem though is that I want to have built my own stuff ;)

One thing I think that is very interesting about the VX1, by the way is the modular approach. The blocks could be used for articulation. Great design.

John

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:40 am

MikeA wrote:
Hi, John, maybe another contender to spend your money on ;)
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gx7_review.shtml

Mike, I am spending too much money already ;)

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:44 am

That looks fantastic! Looking forward to see some footage..

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:17 am

fabians.ch wrote:
That looks fantastic! Looking forward to see some footage..

Hi Fabian, thanks For the kind comments. Much appreciated :D

Latest progress.....

It's a bit of a rambling input from me on what it's about, but it does show footage and the finished rig in action. The video is predominantly a "talk through" so enable sound (you do get some blank screens at certain points).

"bail out when you get bored" is my advice to anybody watching this :)

Thanks for watching. JohnB

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Nice work John, so compact :-)

It's been great following your progress. I've certainly learnt from your experiments. I'll put up some shots of my almost completed rig soon which is NOT compact but has been a great challenge to work with. Luckily my planned filming locations are only accessible by car due to distances.

Steve R.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi, John,
A small, light video camera USB control with link to the camera that may be of interest.

http://appliedlogiceng.com/index_files/Page394.htm

Regards MikeA.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:52 am

Looks impressive though!

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:20 pm

amongstmyselves wrote:
Nice work John, so compact :-)

It's been great following your progress. I've certainly learnt from your experiments. I'll put up some shots of my almost completed rig soon which is NOT compact but has been a great challenge to work with. Luckily my planned filming locations are only accessible by car due to distances.

Steve R.

Hi Steve, thanks ..... working on it keeps me out of trouble ;) Post pictures and sample videos if you get time. I know what you mean about challenge by the way .... every couple of steps you take brings you up against an issue ...... but ..... solving the problem is the interesting bit :-)

All the best, John

MikeA wrote:
Hi, John,A small, light video camera USB control with link to the camera that may be of interest.http://appliedlogiceng.com/index_files/Page394.htm

Hi Mike, Thanks for the link ...... it got me thinking and I have ordered a Pi Camera to do a few tests.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Camer ... +pi+camera

From what I can make out I should be able to control camera parameters direct from the RPi processor hence choosing this model. Not so good resolution but enough. I have also found that you can get extension cables so may have a go at articulation using my old Phidget steppers. Will probably just give the camera a test run first though, Thanks for getting this old brain of mine working :D
Think I read that you have a trip in mind ... enjoy .... it's turned cold and wet here again :(

Hope the weather is better with you ... John

edit ...... the bell just went as I pressed "submit" on this post and it's arrived already (only ordered yesterday) ... I know what I am doing this afternoon :)

fabians.ch wrote:
Looks impressive though!

Hi Fabian, Thanks. I will have to make a shorter video next time though ... it was a bit excessive ;) Thanks again for the post :D John

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:04 am

Project all but complete now. Backpack weight now minimised and this is about as far as I go. Time to start using it rather than constantly building/refining.

This test involved a 3 mile hike to see of the backpack and kit worked OK in portable mode. Capture was purposely in very windy conditions (approx 20mph gusting to 30 I reckon). Some movement but not very much. Need to fit legs to the slide but that is about it. 3 axis keyframing with one spare channel. Just software now to enable PTP control via CHDK. HDR, focus, zoom etc. when I have time. Anyway a picture and some footage (still waiting for ND filter adaptor so no shutter drag )

© 2013 KeyframeMoCo - Field Tests by SiriusJohn, on Flickr

Quick test video:

This is now my set-up moving forward ..... Hope it's of interest. Will concentrate on getting some use from it now .... It's only taken 2 years to get to this point ;)

John

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Awesome build and software job John. Great to see it going outside at last. Having the only one in the world is pretty special. Hope you get out with it a lot. The "expedition experience" is actually a lot of fun. I wish I was doing less building and more exploring.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Looking smooth John. Well done for producing such a small and usable unit.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great feedback. Currently compiling loads of Lua modules for CHDKPTP control. It's a nightmare! (or should I say a "challenge" )

One thing I am going to do when I get time is describe my hardware/software build. I have enjoyed building this unit and I would not have been able to do it without the inspiration gained from this site and this community. I have got enough left over components to allow me to document things so I will try to do a step by step illustration if I can. I am not sure yet whether it will be here or on the keyframemoco.com site. All of the bits in the final controller are pretty much off the shelf bits/kits and all you need is soldering skills. Its only the software build that is a bit tricky ... their are a number of sequential steps to the Linux build but it's not too onerous. The RPi is very forgiving when the software is wrong. You just burn a new image to an SD card :D

Will post again soon

John

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:16 am

very impressive :-)

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:09 am

chardie wrote:
very impressive :-)

Hi chardie .... Thanks for the feedback :D

Don't know if anybody is interested but I am going to test the raspicam to see how it performs. You get some control using raspistill. Just fitted lenses and I am going to try a 0.75M ribbon cable. I will post results ... but only if they are any good :)

Camera Module 1 by SiriusJohn, on Flickr

JohnB

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:51 am

Hi, John, look forward to seeing the camera results.

This may be of interest to you, a combined, PI ? Arduino board. http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... iCommunity

MikeA.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:38 am

MikeA wrote:
Hi, John, look forward to seeing the camera results.

This may be of interest to you, a combined, PI ? Arduino board. http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... iCommunity

MikeA.

Hi Mike, thanks for the link to the EmbbeddedPi ..... Looks very interesting. I will read on re functionality.

Also I need to say many thanks for the link to the Photomacrography site. It's opened up a new (small) world :D I have had quite a bit of help from the forum already.

PiCamera was a washout ... Too much flicker ... No control .. But I had to try. I even had the idea of placing it on this >>

http://www.maplin.co.uk/robotic-arm-kit ... ace-266257

Might try it eventually. For £30 it is a steal .... DC motors though so would need to convert.

Have now diverted attention to macro and focus stacking within SMS. A few problems but I should sort. At least I can work on this with the heating on.

So to keep this thread going .....A bit of focus stacking within SMS (shot on a compact) >>

Canon A620 Powershot with 5 layers enabled via lens motors. I was pretty surprised by the results considering. Helicon for batch stacking. Works pretty well. You can see the focus shifts though ... I need more layers and layer resetting frame by frame for it to work well.

Anyway still testing ;) Nice weather (sunshine at last)... Might go out for a walk later ...

JohnB

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:43 am

Hi, John, smooth and detailed.

Another link for you to check out - View specification on this page :http://store.sony.com/gsi/webstore/WFS/SNYNA-SNYUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=27-DSCQX10/B&XID=E:SCSNOVEM:LINK ;)

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:04 am