It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:39 am

[hardware] Compact camera endurance 

Post [hardware] Compact camera endurance
Hello.
I have recently bought a second-hand Casio Exilim EX-Z80 compact photo camera for use in a timelapse project. I want to create a timelapse video of one year.
My camera is connected to a Arduino. I can then program when I want to turn the camera on and off, or take photos.

Here is my problem:
The camera will run for a entire year and take thousands of photos(about one photo every 30 min) and I am concerned it will break down.

I have 2 options:
1. When I want to take a photo, I turn the camera on, take the photo, then turn it off. This means the zoom mechanism will run every time I'm taking a photo and I'm concerned something mechanical will eventually break.
2. Keep the camera on all the time and just snap photos when required. Because I am unable to turn of the live preview, this means that the image sensor will be exposed for an entire year. I'm concerned that the image sensor will "burn" and the image quality will degrade. Plus, because it wll stay on for such a long time, other electrical parts like the LCD, CPU or capacitors might eventually fail.

I can also go for something in the middle and turn off the camera at night(I won't be snapping photos during the night).

What do you guys suggest? Is there such thing as the image sensor "burning"? From your experience, what breaks first on a compact camera, if it is treated well?

Thanks, any comment is appreciated.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:29 am

Post Re: [hardware] Compact camera endurance
Read your way through this

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11306

Every 30 minutes is going to give very fast moving shadows if this is outdoors. Is there some reason not to shoot one or a few frames at the same time every day so the shadows always fall in the same place?

Try it for a couple of weeks then render a sample movie. Make any adjustments necessary after viewing the sample, repeat. Do the long lapse after you know what you'll get.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:25 pm