It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Long unattended timelapse gear reccomendation 

Post Long unattended timelapse gear reccomendation
Hi all

I I've had an itch to make a long timelapse video of the surrounding countryside for a long time. I've done a little research on the subject but i haven't found a solution that i liked so I'm asking for your help. The one requirement i have is that the system should be self sufficient, as in little to no interaction from me required. I ruled out chdk because i want to make a high quality video, without having to empty the sd card 100 times during the process. I have an old pc running xp and a 60gb hdd and it would be great if there was a tool to empty the sd card directly to the hdd, as images are being taken. It would also be great if you could recommended a p&s that could be powered from a wall wart. i tried to reverse engineer an old canon powershoot running chdk with a direct feed from an old mobile charger and that burnt out the camera :D although i don't know why, since both the battery and the output on the charger said they were 3.7v and yes i closed the battery door and checked the nib and the poles were in the right place. It still turns on for a sec, the little red light shines but no life from the lcd and the battery gets hot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:23 am

Post Re: Long unattended timelapse gear reccomendation
These things from Wingscapes make a pretty decent off the shelf solution. The tiny lens may not be of the quality you find on a DSLR, but it has a plug for external power, several mounting methods and a slot for an external SD memory card. Here's the link to it

http://www.wingscapes.com/timelapse-cam ... projectcam

If you like to make things yourself, you can always hack a bunch of el-cheapo point and shoot cameras. I solder wires to either side of the power switch and the shutter switch and hotwire in my own battery pack that continuously trickle charges when the camera isn't on. A microcontroller can run one camera or several if you have them near each other. Here's a link to some I made.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scienceloo ... 605945909/

There's a few things in that set for DSLR, but most are my hand made point and click modifications.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:04 am