It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:05 am

Timepalse using GoPro Hero2 

Post Timepalse using GoPro Hero2
Hi,

Does anybody here have any experience shooting timeplases with the GoPro cameras? Company I work for wants to buy 3 of them as a cheaper work-around to shoot set up for a major event over 3 weeks and then broadcast the timelapses on TV. All help and advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:03 am

Post Re: Timepalse using GoPro Hero2
Hi,
I do timelapse videos with my GoPro HD Hero 2

It is very easy to use and has a very wide field of view. The 11 megapixel images leave room for pan and zoom.

Here is an edited example (720p): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDAEq6fs2Dw

To check the quality, look at this unedited footage (1080p): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdCUOA30sNg

Peter

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:16 am

I've shot a few timelapse sequences with the original GoPro HD camera. They can produce good results but it's a bit hit and miss. The biggest drawback with them is that they don't perform well in low light. The other thing that has happened to me is rolling shutter bands when filming under artificial lights. You can't change the shutter speed manually so there is no way around this. External power can be achieved by using the skeleton housing and a battery pack with a USB power port. The lcd bacpac is IMHO an essential accessory. One last thing to consider is that the image is almost fisheye, which is ok as long as that's the look you are going for.

I'd suggest looking at using canon 1100d DSLR cameras. You'll get more flexibility and by the time you buy all the accessories for the GoPro they cost about the same.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:17 am

CuriousEarthling wrote:
event over 3 weeks

this could be a problem. At max. resolution (11mp) the biggest supported SD-Card (32GB) will be full after 3 days, if you choose the longest possible interval (60s).

Peter

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:20 am

Replacing cards is not a problem. We're shooting outside and during the day only so light is not a problem. My main concerns are:

1. Power

2. Flicker - from auto exposure

Any body have any ideas for that? Thanks

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:57 am

How much flicker you'll get will be totally dependent on the weather conditions. I've managed to get some Ok results but as I said before it can be a bit hit and miss. IMHO GoPro cameras are a good B cam for grabbing short sequences of an hour or so. I generally set up a couple of them on alternate angles from my main rig. The only time I tried using one for a long period of time (6 weeks) I had a lot of problems. The camera would randomly switch itself off, (this could have been the heat, it was a very hot Australian summer ;) ) and I got large sections with bad flicker. The other thing is that the final image was quite soft once compiled. I also use a Canon G10 as a B camera and this seems to cope better and produce better results.

Here's some example footage: https://vimeo.com/22684758

The shots from 29 to 35 seconds and 49 to 59 seconds are from a GoPro HD. The rest is a Canon G10.

This is an experiment I did putting a GoPro in a car on a long drive: https://vimeo.com/23027970

The built in battery will only last a couple of hours and even with the battery bacpac you'll be lucky to get more than 4 hours. GoPro cameras can be powered via the USB socket, I use a 12v SLA battery with a 12v power outlet and a USB power adapter designed for mobile phones. You'll also need the skeleton housing for the camera to access the port. This means the camera is no longer waterproof though ;)

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:33 pm

eggmedia wrote:
You'll also need the skeleton housing for the camera to access the port.)

I cannot stress that point enough. The skeleton housing is a separate piece so if you buy or rent, make sure you get that as well, otherwise you'll be left without a mounting solution other than duct tape.

But the Hero2s are great cameras for time lapses, very intuitive and easy to use. And when using several at once, from camera to camera there isn't a noticeable difference, they stay consistent.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:39 pm