It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:08 am

flower opening - lighting 

Post flower opening - lighting
I just found this site .
I want to do a time lapse of a flower opening .
What I have so far --

Right now -5-27-12
Camera and flash in manual on Bogen tripod – may have to use gimbal head from Benro tripod , may use ring light instead of flash - it is alway on - will it reach 5 to 6 feet ?
Camera at 5 to 6 feet from plant
I have to figure out if constant light on bud will look funny at night with no sun light - - maybe the lamp idea or leds ?

Lens = 10-22 – set around 14 mm for DOF at 5 to 6 feet - at 5 feet away - tripod to flower bud .
An F 4 OR 5.6 do test shots for DOF - F 8 can cause flickering
Looks like a speed of 1/30 , one shot every hour
May need an ND filter to compensate for sun during day – do a few test shots if no answer to posed question
Shoot large JPEG - and RAW - I have a 16 GB , and 32 gb - should be big enough - [ raw = May want one or 2 single shots later - just take longer to batch ] cropping probably needed with the 10-22 at 14 mm
Since I want to do an angels trumpet [ brugmansia ] and flower hangs down - the flash should be under camera - pointed up – shadows or the / ring light under bud ?
From what I have read here , it looks like I need a dark room and to buy some CF [ compact florescence ] bulbs that are rated daylight .
Any advice , questions

Thu May 31, 2012 4:13 pm

Post Re: flower opening - lighting
Everytime i have done something where i needed to provide artifical lighting i use a room in my basement with no windows and keep the whole room pitch black, then using a PC sync cable from my camera to one of my Elinchrom studio strobes. The elinchrom offers awesome consistancy, you will just have to sort of experiment around and see what works. I hope to get more studio timelapses done this winter.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:56 am

Don't eat the Angels Trumpet flower. You'll trip balls. They are a member of the deadly nightshade family and have atropine and some other alkaloids which cause hallucinations. More than a third of a flower can probably kill you outright. Different plants probably differ a lot in toxicity so even a third might be too much. The hallucinations aren't cute little cartoons like might happen with more friendly hallucinogens. They seem entirely real and can't be distinguished from actual reality. Users spend a lot of time looking for things they thought they had a few minutes ago, but which never existed because they had hallucinated having it in the first place. Go to Burning Man instead. .....Not like I'd know first hand. I used to work in psychology and neurophysiology don't ya know.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:34 pm

I know about the plant . I have at least 20 varieties . Whites - single , double , triple , 7 different yellows , Pinks , frosted pinks , 2 double oranges , 3 different variegated ones [ I think one died — had 4 ]
The flowers are large , most are scented and hang down . Angles looking down ]
About 7 or 8 years ago they split the Brugmansia and Datura in 2 classes .
Brugmansia = Angels trumpet , mexican wedding flower flora grande — several other names that don't come to mind . There are probably at least a 1000 varieties . A tropical plant , will grow for years — to hot or cold and it dies .
Datura = [ Devils trumpet - flowers point up - devil looking up ] loco weed , crazy cow , thorn apples . Sloppy joe [ a tea made from leaves and in 10 minutes no more constipation — too much and you were on a trip , not enough — it just gives you a stomach ache . Can be found from Utah to panama , along side hi-ways [ white varieties ] . Lives less than a year , 22 varieties I know of from single / double white , yellows , purples , whites / with purple . The different colors are wild in the Carraibian / tropical to arid areas south of Mexico City .
You can get the same thing / results from peach leaves , potato leaves , tomato leaves , some fig leaves - it just takes a lot more / stronger tea .

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:22 am

Right now -7-29-12
Camera in manual on Bogen tripod –
Camera at about 3 feet to / from plant
100 watt daylight fl bulb at about 4 feet .
Lens = 17-55– set around 30 mm for DOF
An F 6.3 - F 8 can cause flickering
Looks like a speed of 1/20 , one shot every hour
Shoot large JPEG - and RAW - I have a 16 GB , and 32 gb - should be big enough - [ raw = May want one or 2 single shots later - just take longer to batch ] cropping probably needed with the 17-55 @ 30 mm
Since I want to do an angels trumpet [ brugmansia ] and flower hangs down - the light is under camera - pointed up –
I blew it on 1st set up - the intravalometer time out at 1 hour and rook about 400 shots before I caught it .
Not sure when batteries died but this morning they were dead in camera . I cannot find my DC coupler .
It took me this long - had to wait for visitors to leave and smaller plant to form a bud .
I also had camera set up for AEB [ auto bracketing - I changed a couple of minutes ago . ]
Any advice , questions

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:18 am

update - I could not turn off bracketing because bracketing does not work in manual

7-30-12
I had the camera set up for hi-speed continuous instead of single shot [ page 92 digital field guide ]
AEB does not work in manual .
I never really checked but since I had bracketing and hi-speed continuous both one - which one works in AV and TV ?
So far a few things I learned about Time lapse -
When a intervalometer is plug in - no menu .
Turn off hi-speed continuous
a grip with 2 charge batteries is good for about 200 shots to be safe - but camera was in hi-speed continuous , manual , lens was in --manual focus with IS off .
I will make a list of things at end of project of what I have found out . So far I have not seen one with the problems I have had .
Camera is 7 D

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:47 am