It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:06 am

Spots on my TL images 

Post Spots on my TL images
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum so I'll start with a hello, hello.

I recently shot a sequence capturing a really beautiful sky as it descended into night. As you can see from the reference image the colour of the sky was incredible. I used my 60d for this sequence as I was filming with the 5d (something I've come to now regret). On inspection of the RAW images I notice a whole host of grey spots on the images. I've tried to highlight these by the red circles. Has anyone had this issue before and know what's causing them? I'm guessing dust on my 60 shutter as I've tested different lens options and swapped those lenses with my 5d. All has been fine.

The really odd thing is that I've used my 60d for an indoor timlapse since I took these shots and the spots are not there. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers all,

Attachments:
IMG_6250.jpg
IMG_6250.jpg [ 51.55 KiB | Viewed 2965 times ]
Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:10 am

Post Re: Spots on my TL images
those spots are from dust on you sensor - and they are showing up because you are shooting at ƒ11 or above - something you don't typically do indoors. There are a couple fixes: 1) clean your sensor (it won't stop the dust specks from showing up in the future but it will be cleaner at the start 2) shoot at less than ƒ11 that may mean you need an ND filter to allow you to shoot outdoors 3) you can sometimes clone those specks out in After Effects however depending where the specks are and the image you are capturing your success may be limited

there is a lot on this forum about this but it boils down to those three things.

tim t

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:46 am

Thanks for the info. Is it the case that it's inevitable that dust builds up and therefore after so many years/months all dslr's will have some reduced image clarity? Why does cleaning not completely remove the dust from the image? I appreciate what you're saying about aperture but then shouldn't I be able to shoot what aperture I need, inside or out, without the fear that dust will damage my image. Are there any precautions I should be taking when changing a lens or operating the camera?

I'll try and clone them out as I don't really want to lose this sequence / recreating it will be tough. Thanks again for your advice.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:17 am

Yes dust seems to be inevitable - I purchase a sensor brush so I could clean mine myself. It's not that cleaning doesn't remove all the dust it just doesn't prevent it from coming back. So you'll need to check and clean. Yes if you clean your sensor you should be able to shoot whatever aperture you like however there are a couple of thoughts: most lenses have a sweet spot of sharpness at f8, second using an ND filter can allow you to shoot longer shutter giving your motion a nice motion blur effect. Changing you lens with the camera powered down, I try to do it quickly and with the camera facing down (I don't know if the last one does anything it just makes me feel better). Yeah I understand about wanting to save a particular shot I had a bean plant grow right thru a dust spot and everything else about the shot was perfect.

Tim T

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:26 am

Cheers Tim, really appreciate the advice. Top stuff.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:31 am