It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:07 am

This is just Night photography. 

Post This is just Night photography.
Call me what you will (I prefer "seeker of knowledge"), but I stumbled onto something that in retrospect is pretty Obvious. Ya see, 'BULB' which is at the end of the shutter speed settings refers to the IR sensor. You have to have that turned on in order to be able to take good night photography because 30 seconds just doesn't cut it. Not even on a full moon night. It seems like I grasped the idea once, but that was before I had a remote control to trip it with. Here's to rediscovery!

Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:08 am
Post Re: This is just Night photography.
Drayg0 wrote:
because 30 seconds just doesn't cut it.

Actually it does cut it at ISO 3200 @ F4 (and larger) on a full frame body... ;) Nevertheless as a matter of history did you know that bulb stands for squeezing a pneumatic shutter release ball and holding it with a watch in your other hand? I actually did some of that in my very early years...

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:36 am

I didn't Jay, that's kinda cool. Nevertheless that's what clicked in my head: "Bulb = LED", although a light bulb and an LED light aren't quite the same. And just to be clear, my camera only goes up to ISO 1600 and at such a high ISO wouldn't the noise be unbearable? Or is it low ISO? Friggin photography jargon.. Fast ISO maybe?

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:39 am
Drayg0 wrote:
at such a high ISO wouldn't the noise be unbearable?

Not with a full frame.... The 5D is probably bearable but the D3 (or upcoming D700) is absolutely amazing at 3200. Most think that Canon will strike back soon - very soon.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:04 am
Site Admin

With a full moon, you can easily shoot sub-30s, especially if your lens is wide open.

Check out this shot....

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=167

I use ISO 800 on my 350D, and it works fine. I think you need a newer camera or a full frame, like Jay mentioned, before you start cranking the ISO to 1600, but the XSi or 40D might have enough resolution to get away with it. The more you downsample an image, the more noise you can reduce. So, for example, a noisy image at 4500x 3000 will look much cleaner at 1920x 1280.

Also, the newer Canon cameras have DIGIC III processors which handle noise and higher ISOs better than DIGIC II.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:41 am

timescapes wrote:
I use ISO 800 on my 350D, and it works fine. I think you need a newer camera or a full frame, like Jay mentioned, before you start cranking the ISO to 1600, but the XSi or 40D might have enough resolution to get away with it. The more you downsample an image, the more noise you can reduce. So, for example, a noisy image at 4500x 3000 will look much cleaner at 1920x 1280.

I have the 350D and the 40D, and disappointingly the noise is actually worse on the 40D. The overall noise level is similar, but the 40D displays some banding that looks rather unpleasant (in my taste) in underexposed areas - which you inevitably get with nighttime shots. Here's an example:
350D vs. 40D @ ISO3200 equivalent (check the larger resolution version to really see the difference)
Even if you don't want to push to ISO3200 as in this case, the banding is inherently present in the RAW data even at lower ISO and may appear if you try to push your images in post processing (as the guy with the Milky Way shot did, btw). Based on my sample of the 40D/350D, the good old 350D is simply better for night photography.

That leads me to believe that all Canon cameras with APS-C size sensors since the 350D have pretty similar noise levels, even with resampling considered.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:39 pm
Site Admin

Well a lot of top astro guys are still shooting with the 350D. :)

I don't know, though. I'd like to see a comparison (same lens, same ISO, etc) of the same shot on a 350D and a 450D.... AFTER the 450D image has been downsampled to 8MP. I don't know which camera would win, but it would be interesting.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Here's a cropped shot from my son's softball game I took with my Canon 1D Mark III at ISO 3200. The only work I did on it was white balance correction and a little sharpening. There is no noise work done at all. This isn't my son, nor is this a shot to write home about, I chose this pic because the guy's black shirt and shorts and fair skin show how well the noise is controlled. A little more work would clean this up nicely.

In case you're wondering why I shot at 3200, here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest we have had one of the crummiest summers I can remember in a long time. There were black rain clouds overhead threatening to open up at any time. Got back about five stops of light when they finally cleared up. Just another hot August night in Seattle.

Chris

Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:04 pm

Long exposures are fun!

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:41 pm
Site Admin

ha! that looks like daytime. wow.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Heh yeah, I thought it was cool. It was a full moon, which definitely helped.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:39 pm

Long exposures can be fascinating and enable you to see things that your eyes just can't pick up even when dark adapted. This was a 2 minute exposure on a 7D taken at midnight with a full moon using iso 200. High iso isn't always needed if you aren't concerned about star trails showing up or a bit of movement from trees and foliage.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:54 am

something i tested at trillium lake here in Oregon... a manual M42 (lower pic) Yashanion 50 mm f1.4 lens stopped to f5.6 and it was a 300 Sec. exposure, Center metered, ISO Speed 400... there are a few more at my flickr link below...
a second one (top pic) from a 24 mm f28 sigma at 60 sec. i did adjust the levels to see some of the noise both were on a 450D at ISO 400
73'
kd7

Attachments:
60sec-f2-8-24mm-sigma.jpg [183.69 KiB]
Downloaded 1266 times
8-19-10mt-hood-2.jpg [112.58 KiB]
Downloaded 1269 times

Collins
Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:33 am

Photosbykev wrote:
Long exposures can be fascinating and enable you to see things that your eyes just can't pick up even when dark adapted. This was a 2 minute exposure on a 7D taken at midnight with a full moon using iso 200. High iso isn't always needed if you aren't concerned about star trails showing up or a bit of movement from trees and foliage.

Hauntingly beautiful. Nice job! Affordable Stock Images Philippines

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Photosbykev wrote:

What was your f-stop? Full Moon in a few days time!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:43 pm