It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:34 am

.... it's not the 5DIII but the new 1Dx 

Post .... it's not the 5DIII but the new 1Dx
A new Canon 'flagship' FF sensor DSLR ....

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/News/Canon-Announces-New-Flagship-DSLR-18MP-EOS-1Dx.htm

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:41 pm

Post Re: .... it's not the 5DIII but the new 1Dx
' The EOS-1D X also features an electronic first curtain, new to the EOS-1D series DSLRs, for minimal in-camera vibration during image capture'

I wonder if the improvement in shutter accuracy = less flicker? 2 stops better ISO...can't wait for that!

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:10 am

It's new to the 1D-series, but it's what the 5D II has already ("silent shooting"). Nikon has taken it a step further and introduced the ability to shoot using electronic shutter only with their new mirrorless series (for the purpose of silence of course, not timelapse ;-)). While the Nikon mirrorless are let down by a poor price/sensor size ratio, it's interesting because it's a sign of things to come. Best case scenario would be that they introduce it in their DSLRs too with the soon-to-be-announced new generation flagship (D4). That could certainly mean better shutter accuracy (I'm not sure if the "first curtain" helps in that respect) and if nothing else, ever-lasting shutters for us timelapse enthusiasts. :D

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:42 am

Very nice, 61 point auto back-focus. ;)

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:38 am

Trying to understand some things better. What is a flagship? Why do we need a silent shutter?does a silent shutter mean we don't hear click clack? And does the shutter vibration really affect an image?
I read something about industry standard HD video on this dslr? Will it be the same as the 5d2?

Thanks guys

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:36 am

From what I understand, it'll have the same video as the 5DMk2 (whether they'll also add 50/60fps to 720, I dunno).

The quiet shutter, assuming it's anything like what's been on Nikons for at least the last 4 years (not that I'm having a dig ;)), basically there's a slight delay between the mirror flipping up, the shutter action, then the mirror flipping down again. Surprisingly it is very much quieter than just shooting normally, where it tries to do everything as fast as possible.

Might not be a huge deal to many photographers, but for those covering events, speeches, wedding ceremonies, etc. not having the shutter going off so loudly every few seconds can make life easier for everybody else. :)

A "flagship" model, basically means the leading model in its class. Like Nikon's D300s is considered its flagship crop body, as it's the best body in its class (its class being DX crop). Nikon still consider it a flagship model, despite the D7000, due to the professional build quality and features.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:49 am

perfect, thanks for clearing that up with me Kaouthia

Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:39 am

Kaouthia wrote:
From what I understand, it'll have the same video as the 5DMk2 (whether they'll also add 50/60fps to 720, I dunno).

The quiet shutter, assuming it's anything like what's been on Nikons for at least the last 4 years (not that I'm having a dig ;)), basically there's a slight delay between the mirror flipping up, the shutter action, then the mirror flipping down again. Surprisingly it is very much quieter than just shooting normally, where it tries to do everything as fast as possible.
It does add 50/60 to 720p, spec list can be found here. A little disappointing that 1080p50/60 wasn't added since the camera is surely capable.

The quiet shutter feature is different on Canon than Nikon. You use it during live view, so the mirror is already up (and stays up). Then it can start the exposure electronically so the shutter is only used to end the exposure. Optionally you can choose to have the closed shutter stay in place until you press the shutter release again.

Owen wrote:
does a silent shutter mean we don't hear click clack? And does the shutter vibration really affect an image?
You can hear what the Canon implementation sounds like here (scroll down). As for vibration it's not relevant for most uses, but if you do something like macro photography or mount the camera on a telescope it can be an issue.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:23 am

Very helpful answers guys. 60 fps at 1080p will hopefully be on the 5d3 hey.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:16 pm

flyvholm wrote:
The quiet shutter feature is different on Canon than Nikon. You use it during live view, so the mirror is already up (and stays up). Then it can start the exposure electronically so the shutter is only used to end the exposure. Optionally you can choose to have the closed shutter stay in place until you press the shutter release again.

Ahhh that's interesting. I imagine it would prolong the life of the shutter mechanism too (although a huge drain on the battery life if you have liveview on all the time).

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:19 pm

Well, sort of. During normal live view operation you have two shutter actuations per shot, so it's better than that. :-) But you still have one actuation per shot as you would during normal (non-live-view) shooting, so compared to that it's not better. The issue with battery drain (and the LCD heating the sensor) can be avoided by plugging a dummy into the camera's A/V port which will keep the LCD switched off.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:58 pm