It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:54 am

Macro 

Post Macro
Hello everyone,
I've recently gotten quite interested in macro shooting and I was wondering what the best extension tubes were for a cheap price (less than $100, but preferably as low as possible). I have a Nikon D200 with a AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm lens. Thank you! Also, on a side note, what would be the best ND filter (or set) to get fairly cheaply? Sorry for the budget woes. Wish it wasn't so.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Post Re: Macro
You should find a cheap set of tubes on ebay. For ND go for at least 3 stops and the price will depend on the filter size of your lens. Best of Luck.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:12 am

Thank you. I will look on Ebay for the tubes. Would it be okay to use the tubes plus a close-up filter to get that extra bit of magnification? Would the photo quality be okay?

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:21 am

chan90 wrote:
Thank you. I will look on Ebay for the tubes. Would it be okay to use the tubes plus a close-up filter to get that extra bit of magnification? Would the photo quality be okay?

close up filters will always affect the image quality to some degree. Better going with the extension tubes!

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:34 am

Hello I to have a D200 and had a go at macro. Cheap manual extension tubes of ebay are fine . Theirs not a lot that can go wrong really and been manual it eliminates aperture flicker. Which is good.
I also had some old Pentax lenses. So bought a converter which I could take the adjustment lens out of making it into a extension tube to . So yes macro can be done very cheaply. Here the results just testing rig really.

More on rig here
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7945

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:16 pm