It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:32 am

Amazing 10-second Milky Way Shot on Canon 1DsM3.... 
Site Admin

Post Amazing 10-second Milky Way Shot on Canon 1DsM3....

(photo is hot-linked to Flickr page)

One of the more interesting photogs at Flickr, Mike Jones (I can't read his name without thinking of the rapper shouting out his phone number :) )... Mike shot this Milky Way on his 1Ds Mark III with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 L in TEN SECONDS! These types of exposures take me 80 seconds on my 350D at f/3.5.

This is the photo that convinced me I need a 1DsM3.

But then again, rumors are flying about a 25MP Sony full-frame, a 25MP D3x from Nikon, and even more interesting rumors that Canon has developed some new type of CMOS sensor with "very, very low noise."

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:24 pm

Post Re: Amazing 10-second Milky Way Shot on Canon 1DsM3....
timescapes wrote:

I wonder who does not :)
I guess I will go for a faster lense first... And as soon as my shutter breaks, I'll get a 50D, that's hopefully soon on the market!

timescapes wrote:
But then again, rumors are flying about a 25MP Sony full-frame, a 25MP D3x from Nikon, and even more interesting rumors that Canon has developed some new type of CMOS sensor with "very, very low noise."

Very very interesting! But
url=http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=28540207 wrote:
At least one of them ("1" series) have only 10 Mpix, but no noise at all!!!
is a little suspicious... Even if you ran your camera at 0 Kelvin, you would still have Quantum fluctuation...

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:55 am

timescapes wrote:
[But then again, rumors are flying about a 25MP Sony full-frame, a 25MP D3x from Nikon,

All I can tell you is that you'll have a hard time switching from Canon to Nikon...but you'll want to. ;)

There are some great cameras both on the ground and in the wings. It's an amazing time to be in digital imaging right now.

PS Did you notice the 50mp Hassy?

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:24 pm
Site Admin

Michael Slade wrote:
timescapes wrote:
[But then again, rumors are flying about a 25MP Sony full-frame, a 25MP D3x from Nikon,

All I can tell you is that you'll have a hard time switching from Canon to Nikon...but you'll want to. ;)

There are some great cameras both on the ground and in the wings. It's an amazing time to be in digital imaging right now.

Yeah I did see that, but how in the heck are you gonna do post production on that kind of data!?

It would be amazing for IMAX, though. But it sounds like glass is slow for those cameras? How would they do for night or low-light timelapse?

Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:40 pm

timescapes wrote:
Michael Slade wrote:
timescapes wrote:

Yeah I did see that, but how in the heck are you gonna do post production on that kind of data!?

It would be amazing for IMAX, though. But it sounds like glass is slow for those cameras? How would they do for night or low-light timelapse?

Oh I think doing timelapse with anything larger than a 12mp RAW file is overkill quite frankly. When I work on my Hassy digital files I can't do anything more than 3-4 images at a time before my G5 starts to develop indigestion.

It's a great studio/landscape camera. I can't imagine anyone doing any serious timelapse work with it...course I've been wrong before.

The *fast* Hassy glass is 3.5-ish.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:38 pm
Site Admin

Michael Slade wrote:
Oh I think doing timelapse with anything larger than a 12mp RAW file is overkill quite frankly. When I work on my Hassy digital files I can't do anything more than 3-4 images at a time before my G5 starts to develop indigestion.

It's a great studio/landscape camera. I can't imagine anyone doing any serious timelapse work with it...course I've been wrong before.

The *fast* Hassy glass is 3.5-ish.

Yeah that glass is too slow.

For most purposes, you are right. 8MP is plenty for 2K or 1080p. the next step up from there is 4K footage, which will be the next gold standard after 1080p. that's a few years away, but some stock houses already sell 4K clips. you really need a 5D type of camera for clean 4K footage, especially if you are going to be shooting in low light.

beyond 4K then you get into IMAX. for IMAX, the 39MP 'blads would certainly do the job. and even the 1DsM3 could potentially be upressed to work as an IMAX capture format. obviously the D3x at 25MP would be attractive as an IMAX capture device as well.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:45 pm

timescapes wrote:

It would be a big surprise if Canon doesn't release at least one new FF camera with better high ISO performance than the 1DSIII and at a significantly lower price point. Perhaps also somewhat lower resolution, but to make any real advantage of the extra resolution of the 1DSIII you need a critically sharp image - which most of a full frame image won't be when using a wide, fast lens at max aperture. So odds are there will be better choices for astrophotography just around the corner.

Michael Slade wrote:

No kidding! I was seriously considering the D3, only to find Nikon releasing an even better (for my purposes) and cheaper model (D700) little more than half a year later. Plus, their new 14-24mm f/2.8 appears to be a stunning performer. I too am looking to make the jump to full frame this fall, and if Canon doesn't release some serious improvement to the 5D I will start investing in Nikon gear.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:40 am
flyvholm wrote:
No kidding! I was seriously considering the D3, only to find Nikon releasing an even better (for my purposes) and cheaper model (D700) little more than half a year later. Plus, their new 14-24mm f/2.8 appears to be a stunning performer. I too am looking to make the jump to full frame this fall, and if Canon doesn't release some serious improvement to the 5D I will start investing in Nikon gear.

I think I'm going to start selling crack so that I can pick up the D700 / 14-24 combo... It's my current lust!

Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:15 pm
Site Admin

milapse wrote:
flyvholm wrote:

I think I'm going to start selling crack so that I can pick up the D700 / 14-24 combo... It's my current lust!

Haha, yeah. I've been sizing up some local banks around here to knock off just so I can purchase HALF the stuff I want. ;)

Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:24 pm

I just can't grasp how to take such a shot. Aside from the exposure time, you would still have a star trail if the camera is placed on a static tripod. The only thing I can think of that would allow such a shot to happen is to compensate for the movement of the Earth. The only way I can think to do that is to actually use the telescope mount the way it was originally intended. Am I getting close?

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:19 am

Drayg0 wrote:
I just can't grasp how to take such a shot. Aside from the exposure time, you would still have a star trail if the camera is placed on a static tripod. The only thing I can think of that would allow such a shot to happen is to compensate for the movement of the Earth. The only way I can think to do that is to actually use the telescope mount the way it was originally intended. Am I getting close?

First prerequisite is a really clear sky, preferably from high altitude. I was blown away once I saw the Milky Way from the mountains in Colorado; it makes a huge difference. Seeing that the stars are trailing a bit in the 1DSIII shot (going from lower left to upper right, but you need to look closely), I doubt that the camera was tracking for this shot - the short exposure time appears to have done the trick. But if you can't get away with such short exposures you do indeed need tracking, e.g. by piggyback mounting the camera on a telescope.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:49 pm
Site Admin

Generally speaking, I agree about the altitude, but the greatest view I ever had of the Milky Way was down in Baja, Mexico, between San Feilpe and Gonzaga Bay, on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, at roughly sea level. The Milky Way was so bright and stunning that my GF and I laid in the back of my truck for like an hour just staring up at it. It was mind-blowing.

I'm hoping to get back down there in Sept to try to capture it on timelapse.

The stars don't really start to get oblong at 10s. That's more like 30s. And even that is fine, if you are shooting timelapse, because the blur actually makes the movie look nice.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:41 am

It's probably common knowledge to you all but I have heard that during the colder months the dust isn't in the air as much and therefore the stars shine more clearly. Is it true?

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:04 am
Site Admin

I'm not sure about that. Why would there be less dust when it's cold? Maybe someone here knows more about it.

But yes, shooting in colder temps is better for long exposure night stuff, from my point of view, because your sensor will not get as hot (and noisy).

Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:22 am

I don't see why cold air would have less dust either. Though, if you're in a place where inversion layers form in the cold, dust and pollution will get trapped under the inversion layer and you are better off if you go to a location above the inversion layer. I think the more important factor would be that cold air can contain much less moisture. Generally, the air is clearest during spring when the relative humidity is the lowest.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:42 am

The humidity makes more sense to me than the dust now that I think about it. http://www.richardbell.net/clearskies.html has some interesting information about the subject. I gather that there are no "honey months" from reading about it further. The best times seem to be dependent on the weather and the humidity.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:56 pm

There is A LOT of info out there on the web about star trails and how to "track" the night sky in order to keep your camera locked on to the heavens above.

By far the best bang for the buck is an amazingly simple "barn door" mount. If you do a little internet research, you'll find that one of the most accurate barn door mounts is something called a double arm drive. I just recently built a Trott Double Arm Drive.

You can use common, 3/8" plywood, a couple of cheap door hinges, and some 1/4-20 threaded rod (yes, the same 1/4-20 that most dSLR's and tripod mounts use).

The measurements are simple. Just make sure that you cut the wood and mount the hinges squarely.

With the Trott Double Arm Drive, all you need to do to track the stars is turn the 1/4-20 rod at one rev/minute. Just follow along with the sweep second hand of your watch, and your done. Will be even easier if you attach the rod to a 1-rpm stepper motor (if anyone has one of these little gems laying about, give me a shout! they're cheap, but not easy to find.)

Have fun with it.

-Chris

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:14 pm

You made a mistake in your post, you said you shot this with a "Canon 50mm f/1.4 L", well the only L series with the 50mm is the 1.0, and the 1.2.
If you shot this with a Canon 50mm 1.4, then its not an L lenses.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:41 am

for a point of reference. I took this at iso 1600 for 15 seconds on my powershot G9.
PP totals Contrast and Black point (eliminate noise)

Should add that the weather was approching Ideal, but elevation was only round 2000ft

this is from one of my lens-gets-iced-over lapses

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/9809/img1134wu4.jpg

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:17 am

When I was out last night driving between McMurdo Station and Scott Base I thought I'd do a quick comparison shot just to see how short an exposure I could get and still have reasonably good detail of the galaxy.
This is the image I got from a 5-second exposure at 1600 ISO on my Canon 5D with the 24mm F1.4L lens (at F1.4).
The original is a raw image that I bumped up one stop in post before converting it to a jpeg.
I think the results are pretty good for such a short exposure.
It was about -45 degrees out, so I didn't hang around too long...

http://antzarctica.smugmug.com/gallery/ ... 4443_Y5Hc9

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:43 pm

Attachment:
File comment: Small version of the picture
Milky Way Sm.JPG [137.5 KiB]
Downloaded 485 times

Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:45 am
Site Admin

Five seconds, nice!

what color temp?

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:25 am

I set it to neutral when exporting the raw file from DPP

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:19 pm
Site Admin

What's DPP? With RAW, don't you have to decide on a color temp?

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:20 pm

It's the Canon "Digital Photo Professional" software they supply with their cameras, also can be downloaded.
It does basic raw adjustment and batch processing quite well, it just applies the formula without changing the original file at all.
It has a number of presets available to apply to the raw file for temperature / saturation / sharpness etc. that will create a jpeg with attributes similar to the various manual settings on the camera.
In this case I just had it set for daylight white balance with the neutral tones.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Awesome shot.

I'm wondering how much of a factor light pollution is for this kind of clarity, and/or is hardware a factor? My 24mm f/1.4 on a XTI, ISO800 and ten seconds barely picks up the 'cloud' at all. Am I too cheap? :(

Or is light pollution drowning it out? This village I'm in has all of 6 street lights in it, can easily see the milky way band with the naked eye. The nearest major town (Cottonwood, 12,000 people) is about 15 miles away and is bright enough for me to notice an orange glow on the horizon from here. Next nearest is Flagstaff, totally can't see them 40 miles away (they have a dark skies policy too). How far away is far enough? :)

The new moon this weekend is tempting me to drive well North of Flagstaff into nowhere for a first attempt at a night time timelapse. Is it all about the dark skies? Or is the kit I use just too amateur?

Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:48 pm

There will be the continental haze factor you have to deal with, which will dim things a little more than here.
I'm thinking you will probably have to push it out to 10 secs at 1600 @ f1.4 to really get the detail, or shoot it raw at 800 then push it up a bit in post.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Going higher up also helps.
But still, one of the 3 major Imaging Air Cherenkov Sites is in Arizona (Mt Hopkins south of Tucson). These site ask for good atmospheric conditions, so I guess Arizona is not that bad for astro photography neither...

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:53 pm