It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Beautiful Milky Way composite landscape 
Site Admin

Post Beautiful Milky Way composite landscape

http://www.weatherandsky.com/main.php?g ... terAlbum=0

very awesome. of course, technically i would consider this cheating, since she comp'd the landscape with a series of stacked sky exposures. But hey, the image came out beautiful. Imagine a shot like this .... moving.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:22 am
Post Re: Beautiful Milky Way composite landscape
timescapes wrote:
Imagine a shot like this .... moving.

I do wonder if it could be done by stacking iso 3200 or so images off a full frame sensor... Like I was mentioning in your new F1.4 lens thread you could simply utilize the echo effect in AE and effectively 'multiply' the brightness of a scene. I know it's possible to use an AE layer as a mask so you could split the sky (bright)/foreground (dark) and handle them differently... I think it could be done... Possibly with some carefully handled lighting as well?

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:20 am

milapse wrote:
timescapes wrote:
Imagine a shot like this .... moving.

I do wonder if it could be done by stacking iso 3200 or so images off a full frame sensor... Like I was mentioning in your new F1.4 lens thread you could simply utilize the echo effect in AE and effectively 'multiply' the brightness of a scene. I know it's possible to use an AE layer as a mask so you could split the sky (bright)/foreground (dark) and handle them differently... I think it could be done... Possibly with some carefully handled lighting as well?

Using masked AE layers to adjust the exposure of certain portions of the scene is the way I turn mediocre shots into brilliant ones. The curve adjustment tool has become a main tool for that. Working with RAW over high JPEG helps even more with the latitude of stops you have to play with.
When I shoot, I go the middle ground while keeping the highlights under control. I have seen HDR timelapse and it's cool but too affected for stock use....maybe I'm wrong about that.
http://www.timelapsedigital.com/product ... at=93&pg=2

I assume Shake and Nuke can do that too but I don't have experience with those tools.
Assimilate's Scratch's Scaffolds can do that but I would put the 70K cost of that solution's money toward a RED camera and accessories with a killer workstation.

http://tutorials.assimilated.us/06-SCRA ... ffolds.mov

I hope Scratch comes down in price cause I like that tool.

If anyone is interested I can put up some example snaps where I did this in AE.

Cheers,
cd

Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:18 am

hey was just wondering what camera you used for this and how it was done? im very interested in finding out how to do this and need some tips thanks
steve

Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:49 am
Site Admin

lank1boi17 wrote:
hey was just wondering what camera you used for this and how it was done? im very interested in finding out how to do this and need some tips thanks
steve

FYI, I did not shoot this.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Tom, your stuff rules. This seems too "fabricated" to me, but to be fair, I'm not a fan of HDR either.
When I saw your stars timelapse, I thought that it was better than shots in 2001 A Space Odyssey...ok, you've got some 50 years on that but just sayin.
Respectfully,
cd

Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:57 pm