It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 5:38 am

Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool) 

Post Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)
I've seen that design' it corrects for the ratcheting effect but still has tangent error as it opens. I'm sure the right equation for speed adjustment could be achieved if they know the math. Would have to use a stepper and count steps vs speed so it knows wwhere its at. It would probably work pretty well.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm

You have to remember your tracking in only one axis,,as good as the AstroTrac is now they've added a guide scope for correction,,how and the hell can you correct in only one axis,,the earth rotates in 2 directions,,doesn't matter if the other direction is very minor it has to be corrected when your using very high magnification for deep sky,,that's why the BD has limitations for what it does,,the guys that use the AstroTrac keep pushing for more telephoto and cry because they can't get it,,once you understand limits you adjust by stacking many images,,and that's only for deep space,,doing the MW with foreground in it you have limits as well,,you may get very good MW images by stacking but the foreground stays put and shows streaks,,6 of 1 and a 1/2 dozen of the other,,the whole point in doing a DIY project is the fun in doing it yourself and getting it to work,,at least for me it is,,there's a few good sayings I like,,the less in a photo the more it says,,and a more expensive camera or lens does not mean the photographer is going to take a better photo.
Chas

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Just saw this:

http://www.vixenoptics.com/mounts/polarie.html

Also, have seen a few astronomy forums discuss it. Comments?

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:08 am

That's quite a steep price,,there are a few on the market but my own DIY BD does it's job just as well.
Chas

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Chas wrote:
You have to remember your tracking in only one axis,,as good as the AstroTrac is now they've added a guide scope for correction,,how and the hell can you correct in only one axis, the earth rotates in 2 directions,,doesn't matter if the other direction is very minor it has to be corrected when your using very high magnification for deep sky

Hi. I think it would be much more accurate to say that the Earth rotates in one direction (and only one... ;) ), but that since you're never going to get your alignment to the NCP perfect, any two-axis-capable mount will always have some drift in declination over time. While you're correct that AstroTrac can only correct in one axis, it's along RA, which is the important axis. The drift in declination in the AstroTrac (a 1-axis mount) will be largely linear, not periodic, (because it's due to small errors in your polar alignment, not a rotating gear on that axis) and so the correction in RA really is what matters more. (Note that this doesn't hold for a 2-axis mount, because then the errors in declination are NOT linear, but periodic, as that axis is now gear driven!). The short of it is that an autoguided AstroTrac *should* be adequately corrected. Would love to hear from anyone who's actually iused one with an autoguider, since we have an old ST-4 somewhere around here.

University of Colorado

Fri May 18, 2012 4:01 am

I forgot all about this thread!

Well folks, i think at this point Project Orion is on indefinite hold, and may very likely never be picked back up.

The main reason is my partner and I have been hard at work on a new motion control system which will be also able to track stars for shorter focal lengths (less than 200mm).

We might re-visit this sometime next year and try to develop something that is capable of Astrotrac accuracy.

Fri May 18, 2012 5:53 am

Hi,

It's been a while since i've visited timescapes, but figured i'd share what i've been working on when i had time.
I've been working on modified barn door tracker - hardware almost done(problems with bearings slop), software is the next step

Small stepper, arduino nano & easydriver powered by 8 AA batteries
Prototype made of hardboard for now until the problems are flushed out

Regards
Markus

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:31 pm

markus wrote:
Hi,

It's been a while since i've visited timescapes, but figured i'd share what i've been working on when i had time.
I've been working on modified barn door tracker - hardware almost done(problems with bearings slop), software is the next step

Regards
Markus

Lol, WOW... You built an astrotrac!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:37 am

It's nowhere near astrotrac quality, but I can easily customize it. It seems since I'm getting close to first light all that's in the forecast is cold weather and clouds

If it's ok with you I can post updates on progress

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:19 pm

markus wrote:
It's nowhere near astrotrac quality, but I can easily customize it. It seems since I'm getting close to first light all that's in the forecast is cold weather and clouds

If it's ok with you I can post updates on progress

That would be fantastic, i would love to see how it goes!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:05 pm

markus wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Markus

hi markus
is your Project aktuel ?

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:19 am

Not sure what you mean ? If you're asking if it works, then yes. Still some mechanical bugs to work out when I get time

Sco wrote:
markus wrote:
Hi,

Regards
Markus

hi markus
is your Project aktuel ?

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:39 pm

I've been working on double arm barn door Tracer.
I need bearings Slop.
Where are you bearings Slops bought.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Bearings were bought from a local bearing place, nothing special

Do you pictures of your tracker ? Could you post it here ?

Sco wrote:
I've been working on double arm barn door Tracer.
I need bearings Slop.
Where are you bearings Slops bought.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:52 am

markus wrote:

Hi Markus,

Your mount looks great! I'm trying to build something similar, but I'm stuck with something, and I want to see if you can give me a clue. I can't find the "rotating base" that goes in the axis camera/tripod, that makes one of the arms fixed and the other free to rotate. What did you use there?

Apart from holding one arm fixed and the other free to rotate, that piece must to hold the weight of camera+ballhead.

Did you use something already existing or did you built it?

thanks in advance for any help!

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks Walter,

I struggled with that part also. Here's a shot with the arms taken apart. The bearing is press fit. The only play I have in that part of the mount is in the bearing about 30 thou

I'm sure there are better ways but that's what I came up with. I've used this mount with a 300mm f/4 and a d90 without issue

Hope this helps

Regards
Markus

Walter wrote:
markus wrote:

Hi Markus,

Your mount looks great! I'm trying to build something similar, but I'm stuck with something, and I want to see if you can give me a clue. I can't find the "rotating base" that goes in the axis camera/tripod, that makes one of the arms fixed and the other free to rotate. What did you use there?

Apart from holding one arm fixed and the other free to rotate, that piece must to hold the weight of camera+ballhead.

Did you use something already existing or did you built it?

thanks in advance for any help!

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks markus! Where did you find the set of two metal plates to attach to the arms, plus the center pin, that match perfectly the ball bearing?
I can't find the complete set, they sell only the ball bearing, but not the rest of the piece.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:22 pm

The bearings are just skateboard type bearings. The metal pieces are brass and steel. I custom machined those on a taig mini lathe

Walter wrote:
Thanks markus! Where did you find the set of two metal plates to attach to the arms, plus the center pin, that match perfectly the ball bearing?
I can't find the complete set, they sell only the ball bearing, but not the rest of the piece.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:09 pm