It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:12 am

Mid range long term solutions? 

Post Mid range long term solutions?
Hi everyone,

Question for the pro community here: are there any products out there that fall between the game camera end of the market (sub $1k) and the DSLR end of the market (>~$4k)? We get a lot of interest from clients looking for a cost effective solution for remote long term construction time lapse but - and this may just be the local market - at a budget.

We run the Harbortronic and more recently Photosentinel units. Both are fantastic and I totally recommend them to anyone serious about this field. They're also solid value compared to something like Earthcam. However to run them at a profit we need to charge monthly rates in the mid to high hundreds. I'd say two thirds of our potential clients baulk at this cost. I'm guessing the bulk of the market would handle AUD$150-$200 p/m, not AUD+$500 p/m.

I have trialled cheaper options like the hunting and game cameras. For the money they take a reasonable image - better than webcam, worse than smartphone - but fixed and often narrow field of view as well as wildly variable internal settings like white balances and the lack of dusk or night capability ultimately lead me to discard them from our toolkit. Too inflexible to deploy on tight sites, too much post to correct the footage.

There's a few GoPro-based solutions out there, like Cam Do's products, but as far as I've seen they lack true 3G connectivity, requiring a wifi network instead for status updates and uploads. That's just not a feasible or reliable solution on most sites I've visited.

So anything I'm missing? As Mark from Harbortronics has floated elsewhere here what I'd love to see is a smartphone-based solution in all weather housing powered by external battery and solar power. The phone already handles the 3/4G connectivity and most modern models take great images in a range of lighting conditions. All it would need is a reliable app or bit of hardware to manage the interval remotely and resets if anything goes wrong.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:11 pm