It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:26 pm

twist off method on 1DX doesnt work? 

Post twist off method on 1DX doesnt work?
Using the 1DX and some L wide angle glass, I can't apply the twist off method. When I do the camera will complain about not being able to communicate with the lens and also my auto-iso on the camera will suddenly jump to the highest I've allowed it to shoot (in this case 6400iso) which overexposes images horribly during daylight.

Anyone else had problems with the newer cameras trying to twist off lenses?

Might have to look at some zeiss nikon mount glass so I can use the manual aperture ring and set the aperture hard and not have to worry about 'aperture flicker' in footage.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Post Re: twist off method on 1DX doesnt work?
jdear wrote:
Using the 1DX and some L wide angle glass, I can't apply the twist off method. When I do the camera will complain about not being able to communicate with the lens and also my auto-iso on the camera will suddenly jump to the highest I've allowed it to shoot (in this case 6400iso) which overexposes images horribly during daylight.

Anyone else had problems with the newer cameras trying to twist off lenses?

Might have to look at some zeiss nikon mount glass so I can use the manual aperture ring and set the aperture hard and not have to worry about 'aperture flicker' in footage.

Below is an excerpt from a post I made last month. It applies to all Canons - some are just more picky than others. My 1DX will not work reliably unless the contacts are covered with electrical tape. I would recommend you look for Leica R lenses with Leitax adapters. The prices have gone up lately though...

Regarding the lens error problems - you're correct, the camera can be finicky sometimes. What's likely happening is that it's still making an electrical connection with some but not all of the lens contacts. I usually use electrical tape to cover the contacts once the aperture is set and that eliminates this problem. The way I do it is put the camera in live view, hold the DOF preview button down and twist the lens just far enough to make the camera exit live view. Then turn the camera off and remove the lens (do a visual check to make sure that the aperture is set correctly). Cut a small sliver of electrical tape sized appropriately to just cover the contacts on the lens mount. Now you can re-install the lens and lock it for security (I've had a few close calls using the twist method). Also on some lenses (the 24 1.4 is one) the small amount of rotation from the twist method will give you vignetting because the hood is no longer aligned correctly with the sensor...another reason to use the electrical tape. I got tired of jumping through all of those hoops, so I use Leica R lenses when I can.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:33 pm