It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 pm

What's between your tripods and slider / dolly? 

Post What's between your tripods and slider / dolly?
I was wondering what heads people use under their dollies / sliders?

For me I need to support a pocket dolly for timelapse, and have ordered the Manfrotto 682B Monopod with fold out legs, and I already have a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 tripod. But what heads to use? I've found it quite hard to uncover information on this online.

Is there any particular recommended ones? Or looking for any heads (of good brand) that support half / most of the weight of the whole setup will do the trick?

Thanks!

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:43 am

Post Re: What's between your tripods and slider / dolly?
I have three Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball heads. One on each tripod and one on the dolly. You can set the friction so they are easy to align. when they are in place I just tighten everything up.

Martin

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks! Those look about the right price range too.

Can I ask what you think of the Triopo B-3 (for example http://www.linkdelight.com/K8C-Triopo-B ... nduro.html ) as it has a quick release plate I prefer (I've had a bad experience with the RC2 plate and just recently switched it) plus would appear to have a higher load capacity but maybe there's different ways of measuring them.

If the Triopo would be a mistake the Manfrotto looks like the one I should go for :)

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:15 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Induro-BHD2-Ballh ... duro+ct214

I have some of these Induro ballheads, rated for 26 lb.
$133 at B&H with student discount

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks! That looked great although to get them to NZ, Amazon seem to be the cheapest for me but it totals US$ 205 for each of the 2 I'd order. Also it doesn't look like they angle up / down as much as others? The BHL1 series do but they're twice the price.

The Manfrotto 496RC2 and Triopo B-3 are US$ 80 each shipped here.

The load capacity of the Induro BHD & Triopo are ideal because I just calculated and the most I'd have to support is 9kg / 20lbs. Usually it will be about 1.5kg / 3.3lbs lighter though. And that weight will be supported by two supports.

I found out today what a pain it is to remove the Manfrotto 468MGRC2 from my current head. I mean it's not that bad, but out in the field I ideally don't want to be unscrewing tiny little screws and such. So, my plan at the moment is a real mixture...

Supporting the dolly:

* What I already have and use for my photography (Manfrotto 468MGRC2 with ReallyRightStuff quick release plate) will be used on my tripod supporting one end of the dolly.
* Triopo B-3 on my monopod supporting the other end of the dolly.

Supporting the camera:

The Induro one looked perfect to support my camera until I saw it can't angle up / down as much as others. But if it's to support my camera anything with around a 10lbs load capacity would be perfect as I'd at most use half that weight and only sometimes.

Ok so next I'll check out different ball heads with an Arca-Swiss plate :) We're getting there!

Update: Actually I just found a good deal on a Sirui K30X ball head on TradeMe (the New Zealand equivalent of Ebay). Not as well known as some other brands but reports from various people online rate them very well. Certainly no problem with the load capacity there.

So barring any other change of minds / suggestions, I think I'll order a Triopo B-3 later this week.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:28 pm

the induro can go full 90 degrees, there is a notch on the other side that isn't shown on the pic

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Doh! Ok if the Sirui doesn't do the job perfectly, I'll spring for the extra to get the Induro.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:38 pm

I almost didn't get it for the same reason. Anyway im sure you'll be just fine with the Sirui one

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 am

I'm sure we're far from the only few to think that. Surely they'd boost sales just by including an extra picture of it angled down to 90 degrees.

Hopefully that one does the job fine. But at least I know which one to get if not, thanks :)

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:27 am