It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:04 pm

Micro 4/3 Unicorn 

Post Micro 4/3 Unicorn
OK, You guys all seem pretty smart. I have a rather unique requirement. Basically I need the following;

A Micro 4/3 Camera with a digital shutter.
    Must have the ability to use an AC adapter for TL exposures.
    Must have compatibility with wired remote shutter for the Emotimo TB3 and the Gigapan.
    Interchangeable lenses
    Manual functions that you would expect of a camera for TL.
    Ideally sub $1000 or thereabouts
    As compact as you would expect a 4/3 camera so I can use it on vacations too.

I have freaking combed every item on Amazon and unless I'm missing something I'd like your opinions.
The Sony NEX 7 seemed perfect but they forgot to put in a port for remote shutter.

Help me Obi wan kenobi, You're my only hope!

I'm open to any or all critique

Tue May 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Post Re: Micro 4/3 Unicorn
Maybe you can use the hotshoe port of the NEX 7 to connect a remote shutter? Or even the USB?

vimeo.com/fabianschmid

Wed May 15, 2013 2:29 am

Panasonic GF2?

Wed May 15, 2013 5:35 am

Just a heads up.. the NEX-7 is not a micro 4/3 camera. Currently Olympus and Panasonic are the only manyfacturers of Micro Four Thirds with exception of some boutique video cameras and a new line of cameras coming from Polaroid.

i think what you are looking for are Mirrorless cameras.

The Olympus OMD fits the bill on ALL of those requirements except the electronic shutter. The NEX 7 also has a mechanical shutter as well, it has an electronic first curtain, but i think that just reduces the number of movements on the mechanical shutter but it does not stop it from working. Of course, with no shutter release port it is limited in usefullness for timelapse

The Nikon V1 apparently does have both an electronic shutter and mechanical shutter. But i dont know the specifics.

The panasonic G5 has an electronic and mechanical shutter. However you can get some strange effects with an electronic shutter sometimes.

Honestly I wouldnt sweat the electronic shutter. If noise is the issue the OMD is extremely quiet. If shutter wear is what you are concerned on, just put a dollar in a jar for every timelapse you do. By the time you have killed the shutter you will have the money to replace it.

I have the OMD and use it for timelapse often, it accepts ac power, has a battery grip, i can get about 3000 frames with IBIS and AF off when doing timelapse (even with live view on) with the grip attached. When you want something small and pocketable just put a pancake lens on it and you have a very very small camera. The image quality is fantastic, it has a solid build and it is weather sealed.

Wed May 15, 2013 7:37 am